Expensive Servicing Costs

attila_tdi

Aug 2, 2009
Hampshire
My tdi sport is due for a cambelt and water pump change and MOT in Feb!

I had a 40k service done in October, but looking back at it I could have done what the garage did with an LED torch and some tape. My screen wash was even filled with water only... They basically did absolutely nothing.

I'm left a little naffed off from the last garage even though they are VW and Audi experts as it appears that a 40K service means nothing at all. I won't name and shame as I should have taken it back to them straight after rather than bickering here.

So I'm left with needing a proper service in Feb as the brakes feel and look tired (as they did when I took it for a service), plus the MOT will need a new CV boot amongst other things (suspension bushes I think). Additionally, I need a cambelt and water pump done. So all-in-all its going to be expensive.

:help:

My question is what's the best thing to do? Should I write a list of things I want done and give it to the garage? Should I go for 60K service - though to me these service appear to be only visual checks of things? Plus, what sort of price will I be looking at for cambelt & pump etc. plus a service where brakes etc. are properly checked.

My thoughts were:
1. MOT check first then
2. Service then
3. Cambelt Water Pump change?

Is this order correct u think?

I'm in Winchester, so been looking at some new garages (VW Independent Servicing Eastleigh and SJB Autotech in Basingstoke). Anyone had any experience with these?

Any help/advice or thoughts much appreciated. Thanks!

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
if you want it doin cheaper buy all the bits yourself.Most places put extra on to the price of the parts were i work they add 15% on to every part.When i did my 60k service i changed everything.

When we have daily service in we do the service and cam belt then at same time we can do most the checks for mot after the works done road test then put it on pit do head light test , brake test , smoke test.

Also as your havin your cam belt done change your aux belt as it has to come of when doin your belt.

Last edited:

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
Just an FYI - my Ibiza FR TDI is booked in with JKM (in Portsmouth) for a cambelt and water pump change and a 130k service on the 9th of Jan. Price wise, thats gonna be circa £470 in VAT, with the cambelt and water pump at £330 (ish) inc VAT.
I chose to give JKM a go as I've heard nothing but good things about them and their service (and they were over £100 cheaper than the main dealer (kings seat portsmouth).
I'll let you know how I get on with them, but they seem good people.

attila_tdi

Aug 2, 2009
Hampshire
JKM do sound good. That price as well is not bad. I was expecting something in the region of 600 as there are a couple of MOT failure parts...

Mattwood, do let me know how it goes as it sounds exactly the same as what I need.

if you want it doin cheaper buy all the bits yourself.Most places put extra on to the price of the parts were i work they add 15% on to every part.When i did my 60k service i changed everything.

Doesn't this naff garages off? I've always been too scared to do that in case they try and find other ways to fleece a few more quid out of me. That may be cynical thinking though...

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
attila_tdi - Just picked my car up from its service and cambelt change and i must say I am very impressed - would recommend JKM to you (as I would anyone in Hampshire). Very friendly, and they came out over £100 cheaper than the main dealer, doing everything i needed (and more) for just a snip under £450!

Hope that helps you out a bit.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My tdi sport is due for a cambelt and water pump change and MOT in Feb!

I had a 40k service done in October, but looking back at it I could have done what the garage did with an LED torch and some tape. My screen wash was even filled with water only... They basically did absolutely nothing.

:help:

My question is what's the best thing to do? Should I write a list of things I want done and give it to the garage? Any help/advice or thoughts much appreciated. Thanks!

A couple of things, the main dealer might just be doing "menu servicing" so they will have charged you for what Seat consider the car needed or the customer seemed to want. I would personally try to avoid writting down a list of things that you want doing, unless they understand that the list is only indicative of what you think it needs, why, because there are just too many smarts asses out there who will get grumpy at you thinking you know best and will only obey your exact instructions. I've been there done that - after the main dealer messed up - and then they messed up even more and blamed me in that I directed them what needed doing (what they had previously missed). Good luck, the garage trade is still populated with pleasant friendly sounding idiots, good guys, and grumpy unpleasant sounding good guys - its a night mare - so try to stay lucky.

attila_tdi

Aug 2, 2009
Hampshire
cheers fellaz,

I think I will try either JKM or the one is basingstoke (SJB Autotech). I may leave the list actually as I can see it causing problems.

Funny, these services aint cheap. It takes me a very long time to earn £450, yet there are some mechanics who you feel like they are doing you a favour by helping you out!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.