experienced hybrid turbo TDI owners

TommyG

Oct 15, 2008
This interests me too and am interested to know the same answer from the above (devonmikeyboy) just wanted ask a couple questions. seat chose different turbos to vw correct? so when buying a turbo doesnt matter what engine it is beiing applied to as same results will be seen once hybrid work is carried out? just a matter of choosing the garret or kkk turbo to start with

thanks

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
So a PD130 turbo hybrid'd will put out the same power as a PD150 turbo hybrid'd? I think that's the basic question being asked? If not PLEASE excuse me. It's new years day and I'm still suffering.... :doh:

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
There is no such thing as a PD130 turbo as different models where used.As long as the PD130 turbo is a Garret GT1749V then yes as it is the same turbo as used on a PD150/160. If it`s a KKK KP39 then no.

There's no way of telling until you get the turbo off then? Unless you have ramps?

TommyG

Oct 15, 2008
Seat used the KKK KP39 turbo on the PD130 range which has a weak shaft therefore has to be run on a lower boost setting ( so less power ) then the GT1749V as used by VW on the PD130. The PD130/150/160 lump is all the same block and the turbo sits in the same place so makes no difference which engine it comes from. If you want to hybrid the turbo get a Garret unit but it must be in good condition otherwise Turbo Dynamics will just bin the unit as people used to send them knackered turbos wanting a top spec hybrid unit back. I have seen new Garret units for sale for £300-£400 sometimes. You might want to PM Lummox on Briskoda as he had a few new units up for sale a while ago.

cheers thats answered my query perfectly mate. :D

so always best to get as new a turbo as poss. would reconditioned unit be suitable or is just best to go for a low mileage unit/new if poss?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Might be easier to refer to this thread as it lists the different manufacturer's part numbers for each engine. Unless I'm mistaken the first link posted seems to say that the same turbo is used for both the PD130 and PD160 engines, so what's the difference in power down to? Just a simple map and the IC?

T. Spark

part number thread said:
the turbo on the Ibiza 130 is a KKK (038 253 014C) and on the 160 its a Garrett 038 253 016 Q. The PD150 on the Leon , Golf etc is Garrett 038 253 016 G.

To me that reads its a different turbo, as different part numbers? Assuming we are still discussing Ibiza PD130 turbo's against the PD160 turbo's?

TommyG

Oct 15, 2008
To me that reads its a different turbo, as different part numbers? Assuming we are still discussing Ibiza PD130 turbo's against the PD160 turbo's?

Im sure your right on that t.spark as ive looked it up on links in here the pd160 seems to use the garret unit and pd130 minus a few models i believe uses the kkk turbo so if your interested in the hybrid conversion its best to use the garret which means for most pd130 owners it is likely you will need a new garett unit to begin with. hope that makes sense only using knowledge from websites given here and other input.

once this is completed would any modifications need to be done enngine internals or hoses to allow power to run smoothly? cheers

TommyG

Oct 15, 2008
All the info you need is in the links above which i provided as to which turbo is on which make and model of car.
The only necessary upgrade after having a hybrid fitted/mapped would be an uprated clutch. A panel filter, free flow exhaust and uprated intercooler pipework would be next in line to make best from the new turbo.

yea cheers for the clear up mate just wanted to check if any issues arose with internals and hoses.
Great help mate

Might be easier to refer to this thread as it lists the different manufacturer's part numbers for each engine. Unless I'm mistaken the first link posted seems to say that the same turbo is used for both the PD130 and PD160 engines, so what's the difference in power down to? Just a simple map and the IC?

this quote has quoted me happy, comparing the engines the 130/150 and160 have almost the same engines and internals minus the intercooler and map settings as well as turbo, thank you:)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
VW list..

038 253 016 G (Garrett) for the 150bhp Golf (ARL)

and

038 253 016 F (Garrett) for thr 130bhp Golf (ASZ).

Wonder why the part numbers are different if they are the same? I know this is on the Golf so the same doesnt apply to Ibiza as the turbos are slightly different.

VW list..

038 253 016 G (Garrett) for the 150bhp Golf (ARL)

and

038 253 016 F (Garrett) for thr 130bhp Golf (ASZ).

Wonder why the part numbers are different if they are the same? I know this is on the Golf so the same doesnt apply to Ibiza as the turbos are slightly different.

yea mate i know what you mean, what i cant get over is why would seat bother changing the turbo to kkk, instead of tried and test garrett units,

the same engine code ASZ 130 but different turbos:shrug:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Speaking from a Skoda point of view in which I have a little knowledge the Fabia vRS is always fitted with a KKK rather than a Garrett. The Octavia with the same engine will always have the Garrett unit. The turbos themselves arent directly interchangeable although its not much work to mod one to fit (requires the rotation of the housing).

I figured KKK made the ones for the Fabia, Garrett made the ones for the Octavia as the fitments are different.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members