Exploding window covered under warranty?

BaBa

......has anyone had an update on when the screens might be expected in the UK as this seems very unacceptable given that the car was still in production not solong ago.

Yes, I've had an update, but it's not a good one.

SEAT are having a problem with the supplier. They refuse to put a timescale on replacement arrival dates, but have said that we should start thinking end of January and then take it from there.

Worrying thing is that this 'issue' appears to have been rumbling on with the supplier since around the 21st of December, so who's to say that it won't continue for another 5 weeks, or even more.

My car is less than 18 months old, and I quoted para 4.3 of the motor manufacturers agreed code of practice (which VW and SEAT subscribe to). This states that they pledge to make spares available throughout the production life of a vehicle, and for a reasonable period beyond that. I wouldn't say that 16 months is reasonable to stop supplying parts.

pmbennett

Yes, I've had an update, but it's not a good one.

SEAT are having a problem with the supplier. They refuse to put a timescale on replacement arrival dates, but have said that we should start thinking end of January and then take it from there.

Worrying thing is that this 'issue' appears to have been rumbling on with the supplier since around the 21st of December, so who's to say that it won't continue for another 5 weeks, or even more.

My car is less than 18 months old, and I quoted para 4.3 of the motor manufacturers agreed code of practice (which VW and SEAT subscribe to). This states that they pledge to make spares available throughout the production life of a vehicle, and for a reasonable period beyond that. I wouldn't say that 16 months is reasonable to stop supplying parts.

Thanks for this. I have managed to get insured on another car for a maximum of a month at a cost of £60 so i can wait, but am not happy about it!

I am going to chase up national windscreens tomorrow to see what they have to say, but i dont expect them to know much more.

I will also phone Seat UK as the more i think about it it is quite a serious safety issue, especially as i had a passenger in the back and some glass fell on them. I shall also quote the paragraph, not that i expect it to get me anywhere! Not really sure what else i can do, it seems that this fault occured at the worst possible time!

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
The above paragraph will have no use to be honest. SEAT are responsible for continuing the supply of parts for that time, which they are. If there is an issue with production or supply all SEAT must do is 'their best' to resolve it. I'm afraid all manufacturers have back orders on certain parts.

If it was me in the situation (especially if the car is under SEAT Warranty) I would be on the phone to SEAT customer services. Explain the issue, the car is not drivable as its impossible to secure etc. Then demand that you leave the car at your local dealer and take a loan car away until it is fixed!!

See where that gets you!

BaBa

..... demand that you leave the car at your local dealer and take a loan car away until it is fixed!!

See where that gets you!

They were not prepared to loan a car, citing the fact that I'm having the screen repaired at a windscreen replacement firm, who by the nature of their business do not have cars available to loan. How that excuse works at all is beyond me, but there it is.

Customer services/ support even had the audacity to say that when this is eventually sorted, if I give them a call they'll arrange a little gift for me - which will not have any monetary value she was quick to stress.

If she had any idea how bad and inappropriate that statement sounded then I'm sure she would never have made it. I was tempted to translate it back to her, but am starting to lose the will to want to even talk with SEAT now.

It would, however, have been along the lines of "I'm sorry you've been without a car for the last 5 weeks, and will still be without it for the foreseeable future, but give us a call when it does eventually get fixed and I'll stick some fluffy dice in the post for you."

Unbelievable treatment in view of the fact that I've bought 2 brand new cars from SEAT in the last 5 years. Never will again though.

edit: forgot to mention that my local autowindscreens manager claims to have 12 rear screens for this model on order now. When I booked mine in December it was just 2, so this is starting to become a pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
So tell SEAT their dealer is welcome to do the job! I doubt they can anyway, they would need to call in a screen company!!!

bazzahpool

autoglass came out today to fit the clips they broke on my spoiler when they replaced the rear window, i asked them if they had done many of these rear windows and they said no, mine was the only one in the area that had exploded that he knew of.
i asked of they had any tailgate screens in stock and he said yeah plenty and he can get hold of them no problem. This was a mobile autoglass tech which i can imagine he gets the screens from the shop in middlesbrough on 01642 240689 as thats my nearest one to hartlepool. So worth a try if you contact them if you are struggling to get a glass. :)

baz

Poulos

Hi pmbennett plus others

Unless you have had a replacement window, i have had the same problem which is massively unacceptable - its coming up to 6 weeks now since the window smashed and im still no worth the wiser. Currently, i have the insurance company trying to speak to SEAT to see what the hell is going on and when i know more, i will post any outcome.

Has anybody had any recent success getting theirs replaced?

Cheers

pmbennett

Hi Poulos. I have now got a replacement window for my Ibiza. What happened is as follows: the window broke and was told by national windscreens that they had none and didn't know when they would have any. In the meantime I took the car to the dealers and they had it for two days and in the end Seat said that they would do it on Warranty on this occasion, however they had no windows, didn't know when they would get them and weren't interested in giving me a courtesy car. National windscreens gave me a call out of the blue and said that they had a window and would be able to fit it in 2 days (which would be just over a week after it smashed). So I got my car back from the dealers and paid my£70 to get it done on my insurance.
The dealer was shocked that national windscreens actually had one, and to be honest can't fault the dealer as they spent time asking seat to do it on warranty, cleared up all the glass and covered up the window with plastic. I'm glad that I did go through my insurance as it seems like I would be still waiting now if it was from Seat.
Out of interest what reg. is your ibiza? Mine is a 57 and the window fitter said he had done a couple of 57 plates recently and he felt it might be a faulty batch of windows.
Anyway, you could try national windscreens if you haven't already. If not, good luck!
Since it happened I have hardly used the heated rear screen in fear of it happening again!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.