Face Lift Mirror Covers

treehugger

Sep 15, 2006
North Suffolk
Hi

I have finally got my replacement mirror covers sprayed piano black and now want to remove my silver ones to swap. The problem is how the hell do you remove these things? I have looked at the new ones and they have clip on lugs inside the covers. The problem is trying to get at the ones that are currently fitted, do I need to remove the mirror glass? If so how do you do this. I don't want to force anything and break it, I have found the guide for pre FL covers, but I am not sure if the same method applies?????

Please please please help me............

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
I just squeezed in an old gift card/credit card behind the cover on my pre-facelift, and prised them off. Id imagine the facelift is the same, atleast you have another set if it all goes wrong.

Give it a go ;)

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Are the FL same as the new ibiza if so put your fingers in the top and pull, will come off but don't drop them like I did as it my damage the old ones

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
The clips on the back of the new ones should give a good insight into how they come off. They are tough, but i recon its just a pull off like all the other models. Pull and wiggle, it should come.

treehugger

Sep 15, 2006
North Suffolk
I have had a go at the mirror caps and they don't want to budge :cry:. I can't belive there isn't anyone on the forum who hasn't done this to a FL Leon and wants to share their wisdom with me. I have looked at the new caps for the clip positions and as far as I can tell the mirror should be removed to ease fitting. Can anyone explain this process for me.

Thanks for looking and trying to help

ross_vrs

i folded my mirrors in when i fitted my FR style covers to my altea, managed to get a small screwdriver into the "small" end of the mirror. slowly they just uncliped with pressure.

treehugger

Sep 15, 2006
North Suffolk
Ok I have now done the deed and fitted my new black mirror covers. As nobody on here seems to know how to do this I took the trouble of taking photos of the process. So here we go on my FL Leon mirror cover replacement guide.

1st step remove the mirror glass, as you can see I used two cable ties to pull the mirror off the mounting. I would suggest you use some plastic packing tape if you have any lying about, as this would be easier to get behinf the glass unit.

IMG_0311.jpg

Once removed sit the mirror on the door frame or remove the heat pad wires and put somewhere safe.

IMG_03081.jpg

On this image you can see the clips to be removed

IMG_0310_1.jpg

Fit the new cover, taking care with the top part so it fits snuggly

IMG_0309.jpg

Thats it, just be careful when you re-fit the mirror to push in the centre and not the outsides as to not break the glass. I am not sure if you will, but I didn't want to risk it!

I hope this helps somebody, as I found it very frustrating the fact that nobody knew how to do this. The suggestions about just pulling off the cover were just a little bit optimistic, as it still took a bit of getting off even with the mirror removed!

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Glad you never listened to me after all :rolleyes:

Good job, and i bet alot of new owners will find this helpfull!

white blood

Thanks treehugger , Just got my chrome wing mirror covers today. The official instructions that came with them suggested just pulling the cover off by hand (Tried this with no luck). Your way is far better and hopefully reduce any damage by me being clumbsy.

10/10 tutorial :clap:

johnpullin

Hey there Treehugger

Where did you source the replacement Mirror covers from... as i have exactly the same LEON as you in Candy white, with the black alloys - and really like the idea of the mirrors matching the wheels...

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great!

JP

romace123

I changed the Wing Mirror covers on my Leon FR Facelift recently. Got the Colour painted covers off Ebay for about £42. This is how I changed them:

1) Fold the mirrors to the up position.

2) Now at the bottommost part of the covers, there is a small grove where a tiny Flat-Head Screw driver or fork will fit and then be used to prise open the cover a little bit until the screw driver / fork can stay there of its own accord.

3) Now, with your finger tips, you can gently pull the cover towards you with increasing force. It should just "click" off.

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
That guide's way over the top mate! You don't need to do nearly as much as that. A flat head screwdriver is all you need and it's a 2min job

Use a flat head screw driver under the mirror where the body coloured cap meets the plastic body of the mirror. Give the screw driver a bit of a thump so the screw driver goes up in behind the cap and lever it out. Push the new caps in and you're done :) Simples

chewyneedham

Your a leg-end mate !

Thanks for the pictured instructions - Really helped !

Thanks again! :D

leon077

Hi

I have finally got my replacement mirror covers sprayed piano black and now want to remove my silver ones to swap. The problem is how the hell do you remove these things? I have looked at the new ones and they have clip on lugs inside the covers. The problem is trying to get at the ones that are currently fitted, do I need to remove the mirror glass? If so how do you do this. I don't want to force anything and break it, I have found the guide for pre FL covers, but I am not sure if the same method applies?????

Please please please help me............

Link please? I have pre f/l ... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

12string

Rocker
Oct 5, 2006
Inverness
Finally got around to changing my FR mirror covers for Gloss Black which I had done on a pre F/L Leon before but found they did not want to come off as easily as the pre f/l so I used Treehuggers guide and the job was made very easy. 10 minutes max to do both covers.

Great picture guide ! Used a piece of plastic strapex instead of the cable ties as Treehugger said much easier to get behind mirror.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members