Facelift Leon LED reverse light

Oct 14, 2019
Hi,

I have a 2018 Leon FR and would like to swap the reverse light to LED so it's brighter and to match the rest of the car which are LEDs, had a look around the forum and most suggest Autobulbs Direct and AGLINT on Amazon so I'm wondering which one is more reliable and last longer?

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
I got one from autobuldsdirect two and a bit years ago still ok and no error messages.
Mine was for a pre face-lift.

Oct 14, 2019
I got one from autobuldsdirect two and a bit years ago still ok and no error messages.
Mine was for a pre face-lift.
I believe the facelift uses W16W which are these on Autobulbs Direct website?

Looks like the AGLINT has LED all around the bulb whereas Autobulbs Direct has it on either side.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
Ordered the Twenty20 W16W LED from Autobulbs Direct but was wondering will the LED bulb pass MOT?

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
Got a P21W LED from Philips. Not too bright, brighter than normal bulb, nice cool white. EDIT: comparison pic attached for good measure.

Attachments

• 20201230_233825.jpg
    20201230_233825.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
Reversing light is checked now:
This is the only check I found about reversing lights (reversing lights on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009) and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs but that is regarding to headlamp unit and not reverse lights so I believe the LED bulb will pass MOT but want to confirm just in case.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
This is the only check I found about reversing lights (reversing lights on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009) and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs but that is regarding to headlamp unit and not reverse lights so I believe the LED bulb will pass MOT but want to confirm just in case.
I'm not sure on that to be honest. There was guidance on gov.uk but it's not current and was withdrawn. But the guidance was that if the vehicle had a reversing light, it had to work. Or it was a major defect. Not sure if that has changed now.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I thought the HID (led) part of the MOT had been revoked ! I have just had a MOT on my other car and the HID's were mentioned and a Pass

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I thought the HID (led) part of the MOT had been revoked ! I have just had a MOT on my other car and the HID's were mentioned and a Pass
It might have been revoked although the below guidance advises:

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test."

Reversing lights: must be working and operate when reverse is selected. But that seems to be about it (oversimplifying the regs but in a nutshell).

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester

hakanFR

Mar 13, 2020
Hello All,

I have a 2020 Facelift Leon FR. I want to replace my reversing bulb to led. Which of the below bulbs should I buy?

Does the fault light come on after installation? or plug and play? I am waiting your kindly help.

Thanks and Regards.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Hello All,

I have a 2020 Facelift Leon FR. I want to replace my reversing bulb to led. Which of the below bulbs should I buy?

Does the fault light come on after installation? or plug and play? I am waiting your kindly help.

Thanks and Regards.
My only comment would be that the website states the Osram bulb is not CANBus compatible; which suggests it will throw a bulb-out warning (if the reversing light is monitored for bulb failure- I don't know if it is or not)

Reactions: hakanFR

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
@hakanFR

I have the previous generation OSRAM W16W LED on MY2019 car. No bulb out warning, so I’m assuming that the reverse light is not monitored.

I do have VCDS, but 99% sure I haven’t coded it out.

Easiest way to tell is to remove the halogen bulb and put into reverse and see if it throws an error.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise