Facelift Petrol v Pre-facelift Diesel

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
What I do like, though, is that it's raised the centre console a bit, making it slightly cosier than the pre-facelift and the gearlever a bit stubbier, so the shift action's nicer.

I had to go out and check but you're right! The facelift center console is slightly higher. I don't think the lever is any different though. It looks stubbier because the surround is higher but I think the lever and the shift is the same as before.

I still think they've mucked it up. They've made poor use of the extra space that new piece of plastic and no hand brake offered. On the old car you could fit three pairs of sunglasses into the cubby behind the gear lever. The new one isn't deep enough to put a sunglass case in longways and even one don't fit very comfortable across it. The other spaces in the console are too small for sunglasses when they could have been bigger if the cup holders had been longways instead of across the console. And this is a car made in Spain! Even the Germans gave the Golf a dedicated sunglass cubby in the headlining. My wife and I both drive this car and there is nowhere to put two pairs of sunglasses.

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
The facelift does look much more modern externally so will date better.

Still looks a modern car wheras the prefacelift is showing its age
Especially in the right colour. Mystery Blue does show up swirls and scuffs a bit more than my last white one, so I may invest in a ceramic coating when funds allow.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
The facelift car isn't an upgrade. It's a cost cutting exercise. They've just removed and downgraded stuff, it's not a better car.

I do wonder if WLTP is the cause of this cost cutting (easier to test) exercise.

They did fit better headlights, LEDed everything and some say the build quality improved (cough cough, sneeze sneeze) not sure about that one. A handful were lucky perhaps. Perhaps fewer button on infortainment means fewer things to rattle? I had the pre-FL with 5.8inch screen, it got me to my destinations...I remember in the old mk3 FRs had leather(ette) door material inside, not sure about newer ones. Virtual cockpit is a upgrade though for sure.

On the down side, e-brake, doing away with my fav colour, Alor Blue! and a new engine...1.5 Kangaroo edition! all bumpers had a hole at the bottom in case you speced the tow bar, lack of any upgraded soundsystem (eg.Seat Sound).

Was it refreshed, visually I would say yes, was it 'better,' I would say not really. And with the Mk4 is it visually better, I would say not...

Agree with the Mk5 Ibiza FL in late 2015 though, I had one..and it's the only reason I decided on it, because of the significant facelift...(now that's not only a face(headlights only) lift, but a significant lift), soft touch dash top, new FR steering wheel with buttons, new infortainment (no screen to 6.5inch screen), new instruments dials, lights I can't say, as I had the Bi-Xenon option, option for Seat Sound with sub in boot +++ oh and for me (not sure if only me) nothing rattles on the Mk5 Ibiza despite being on FR suspension and 40 profile tyres. Having 2 door probably helped, 2 less doors to vibrate!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I might be missing the point, but how do front parking sensors help or are necesary, if you are facing forward and you can see what you are about to run into? And if you can't, one shouldn't be driving. In most cases you can see your car from the reflection on the car in front of you of you getting closer...or if the car or wall is not reflective enough, I just judge from the DLR reflection, or i hold the high-beam stalk for a brief moment till the light gets smaller and more intense..
Rears I understand, as on the Leon the pillars are huge and window small. Actually on my Leon and Ibiza, I never had reverse sensors, old school parking, imagine my joy when my current car came with as standard, not only reverse sensors, but a reverse camera!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I might be missing the point, but how do front parking sensors help or are necessary.

I agree, they are nowhere near as useful as rear ones, but they do make tight maneuvers quicker. I wouldn't pay extra for them, I don't miss them, but they were mildly useful.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
In spite of front and rear sensors I actually miss the 360 degree cameras on my previous car...it was one of the first things I noticed 'missing'.

Arctic

Jun 15, 2005
Newcastle...ish
While I was looking for mine I did look at same spec in the face-lift, but the cheaper tax (£30 compared to £145ish) swung it for me.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
While I was looking for mine I did look at same spec in the face-lift, but the cheaper tax (£30 compared to £145ish) swung it for me.

We've got a facelift that missed the tax change so still £30. It's a chunk of money over a few years. Put me off getting a newer car so looked for a pre tax hike car with low mileage.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Front parking sensors are a benefit, for example, when reversing at night they can pick up objects as the front swings round.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members