Factory fit reversing sensors

Simmhead

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my factory fitted reversing sensors. Basically, when I put the car in reverse, the system beeps for 4-5 seconds then stops and the sensors do not work, I take it this is an indication of an error. However, the sensors do work occasionally. I actually had this problem last year, but during the winter it was fine. Now as the weather is warming up a bit, the problem has come back...may just be a coincidence.

I am thinking it may just be a dodgy connection to a sensor, but don't know where to find the sensor module. :shrug:

Anybody any ideas? :think:

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
i think the sensor module is in the boot behind the panel on the left, i don't know how to get to it but it does sound like the beep comes from there somewhere

Simmhead

Think the problem is down to one of the sensors being faulty. Can anyone confirm where the module is, I want to try disconnecting the sensors one-by-one to see if I can diagnose which is faulty.

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I can't help as to what is causing the problem but the module is should be in the boot behind the panel on the left. I'll have a look in the morning and see if i can work out how to get to it

What car is this? i have an 05 Altea with them, should be the same for the XL as well though

I'm not sure that you will be able to unplug the sensors one by one, it's more than likely one moulded plug for all of them, again i'm not sure on this

Simmhead

Thanks for the reply. Though its now working again! :shrug:

Used the car Saturday and the parking sensors weren't working. Put the car into reverse today and now its working fine, drove around quite a bit, stopped and started a few times without any problems with the sensors...dunno, must be a dodgy connection somewhere...will see how long it lasts! :confused:

Mediterraneo

If you still have a problem with your rear parking sensors don't forget that a 12 volt signal has to come from the reversing switch to get them to work at all - this could be the intermittent area as good old fashioned contacts are more likely to fail than a static solid state device. Try changing in and out of reverse to see whether you can get them to work (or not) with the car stationary near an obstacle that would cause an alarm.

Mediterraneo