Fan noise after turning car off

Alpha

Sep 8, 2016
Hello all,

I have been driving my Seat Leon MK3 (63 reg) since April. Whenever I switch my car off, it sometimes make a loud fan noise for approx 5-15mins. This happens when I drive or using the air-con sometimes. I have contacted Seat and they replied saying that it's the engine cooling fan causing it and it's normal.

One of my colleagues noticed this yesterday and convinced that it isn't normal.

Can anyone confirm whether they have experienced this?

Many Thanks :p

andycupra

status subject to change
is this following a hard drive, or a drive in traffic where the engine may be running a little hot?
if so then the fans continuing to run is normal.
however, this is usually at a low speed that isn't overly loud. are the fans running very fast/loudly? if so this may indicate a fault of some kind. possibly the low speed isn't working?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I have a low speed fan which runs and sounds like it's in the passenger footwell when I turn the car off. If it's that it's normal.

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
I can't' see if you are driving a diesel, if you do, then it could bed the dpf regen and cooling fan will be running while dpf regen is in progress.

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, you are driving a diesel and it is because you have turned the car off in the middle of a dpf regen. In a dpf regen, the temperature of the dpf is artificially increased to burn off the crap. If you stop the car in the middle of this process, the fans will stay on to cool it down afterwards. The car will have another try at a regen the next time the conditions are met for it to do so.

All perfectly normal and nothing to worry about at all.

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
Mine does tha same.after hard ride home,or very hot day. When i stop fan runs.its the engine cooling or dpf..normal,i dont bother

How u know when car does dpf regen?any lights?

VAG Familia

Last edited:

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
If the fan is on after key off then the engine was turned off during an active regen rather than passive. The fan runs to try and cool off the DPF. Passive regen is a regen that happens without changing engine mode, it uses the heat produced from normal combustion rather than post injecting fuel etc.

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
I also get this from time to time, turn the car off and the fan keeps going for 5 to 15 minutes. I've always assumed it was just the fan cooling the car down on a hot day/hard drive or something related to the DPF, good to hear it's nothing to be concerned about.

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014
Sounds exactly like a DPF regen has been stopped. My mk3 also does this as did my mk2 so nothing to worry about.

DragonQ

Jul 26, 2016
I have a low speed fan which runs and sounds like it's in the passenger footwell when I turn the car off. If it's that it's normal.
Whenever I unlock my Leon there is a strange whirring noise coming from the passenger footwell too. Turns out it was the CD player seemingly trying to load a non-existent CD for about 30 seconds. I wonder if it's possible to stop it doing that?

Anyway, my Leon has done what the OP has described once. Definitely DPF regeneration, and it's bloody noisy!

Alpha

Sep 8, 2016
Thanks so much for your response. Feel overwhelmed by the amount of replies.

My car is a Diesel. Also forgot to mention that the fan noise is coming from the front bonnet. Anyone experienced that?

Looking at the response, looks like I need to do some research on what is DPF regen :)

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Yup, that's DPF regen. Nothing to worry about - as long as you aren't just doing short journeys.

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
Thanks so much for your response. Feel overwhelmed by the amount of replies.

My car is a Diesel. Also forgot to mention that the fan noise is coming from the front bonnet. Anyone experienced that?

Looking at the response, looks like I need to do some research on what is DPF regen :)

Yes, mine is from the front bonnet as well.

Mike_Leon

Apr 24, 2014
NI
Had the same with my Mk2. If all your journeys are short ones, take the car for a good drive. I used do a 30 mile round trip on dual carriageway/motorway. Gets a passive regen done and should last a few weeks.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
As everyone's said, DPF regen. The reason why I sold my CR170. I went from doing lots of motorway to doing hardly any and the dpf paid for it. I was going home and always having the fans going so the car had to go and I replaced it with a edition 30. Probably a good thing in the end - turned petrol and never looked back

But seriously you can't just look at mpg figures and decide you want a diesel. Do the maths (diesels cost more to buy), I believe it usually needs to be 15k or so miles a year to make a diesel worth buying over a petrol, and you need to do a fair bit of motorway mileage or you won't be kind to the dpf and you can end up with issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
And if you don't do the miles with lots of short journeys you kill the dpf and end up forking out £££'s in frequent regens and worst case a new dpf. I was the same, ran diesels for many years but had had enough with my last diesel after trouble with sooting up of the intake manifold due to egr allowing diesel fumes back into intake... GENIUS!! Loving my petrol but not sure what the future holds for petrols with introduction of particulate filter being fitted to direct injection engines

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
I do daily 80km.more than half is highway.so dpf have some time to burn sooth. City drive is death to dpf

VAG Familia

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I still have a pd130 a4 avant which is obviously before the dpf times, but I have removed the egr on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members