FAO: Owners of Alpine H/U's

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Hi all.

I bought and fitted the Alpine CDE-9850Ri HeadUnit yesterday (the ipod full speed one).

All is fine apart from when you turn the cars headlights on, and the stereo is off, the backlights on the h/u don't illuminate .

Does anyone know what I need to do to solve this one? I've never had an Alpine before, only ever Pioneer and they've always worked fine on standard wiring. I know the Alpine has an orange illumination wire, so does this need to be connected somewhere? if so where? the pioneer h/us i had never needed this wire to be connected.

Thanks in advance

Dave

t_searle

Mar 23, 2006
just got an alpine head unit a couple of weeks ago and will go out later on to check this. Did you find a differance from the old stereo. I thinks its alot better sound now but still need new speakers!

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Yer sound quality is much better. Its improved the treble and general volume loads! However the standard speakers don't handle the bass too well, so to solve this I'm getting a Fli Trap 12" active sub which will enable me to cut all the bass to the standard speakers and send it all through the sub instead.

I don't think u'd need new speakers really once the bass is cut out from them. In my old car i replaced all the speakers, had a set of alpine type s: components (crossovers, door speakers and tweeters) 6x9s (they were all amped by an alpine 4 channel amp) and 2 12" subs (running off a rocky mono block). Sounded awesome, however as i already had the subs before i changed the components in the front, I'd already cut the bass from them, and tbh i didnt really see any benifits from fitting them.

So in retrospect i'm going to leave the standard speakers, add a sub and just send the appropriate frequencies to the desired speakers and fingers crossed it will be a half decent system. (at a fraction of the cost compared to the last one!)

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
lol...not all of them but some of them should...all my previous stereos (all pioneer) have illuminated even wen off, once the headlights were turned on, however this alpine doesn't illuminate at all (wen headlights r off).

Im pretty sure the standard stereo did as wel, however can't actually remember...i will check this once my bro comes home in his ibiza.

The other thing, is wen the h/u is on, and u then turn the headlights on, the unit is meant to dim slightly, however this doesn't do anything either, even tho the dimming option is set to "auto"

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
alpine unit cda 9847R so not the best unit in the world but it does me

when the stereo is off it doesnt light up at all.. i didnt connect the the orange cable either maybe if u connect this it might work but no guarantee

Smee

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
mmm strange...my old pioneers didnt require the illumination wire to be manually wired up, and it worked fine. Ah well, maybe its not an alpine thing, but an ibiza thing.

thanks for checking urs for me m8 :)

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
another thing why would u EVER turn it off.... i can pause cds on mine maybe thats different to urs but all in all i just turn volume to zero

Smee

Diablo559

Diablo
Mar 1, 2005
N.Ireland
i have an alpine head unit connected direct to battery . totally agree with the sub idea i done this as soon as i bought the car buy buy rubbish stereo lol also have the ipod interface has run my battery done a couple of times opps .you have to connect the orange wire up .but by the sound of it no one has on this forum lol.wish alpine thought out the ipod interface a bit more .should go from a to z first then select track in the appropriate letter whats your unit like:)

Dark Matter

Aug 5, 2006
Also thinking about installing this head unit in my Ibiza & wonder br grateful if you could answer a couple of questions!

How easy was it to fit & have you also fitted the adaptor for the steering wheel controls.

The standard head unit does illuminate with the side light switch & dims slightle with headlights

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Diablo- i was quite impressed with the ipod interface on the 9850Ri, it was better than the other stereos i tried, and had the added bonus of a single wire to connect the ipod directly to the unit, rather than an extra interface box to house somewhere.

Dark Matter- it was very easy to fit, just slightly fiddly to make sure the wires were out of the way behind the unit to allow it to slide far enough backwards

burns

hi ya as were on the question of fittin headunits ive got a alpine cda-9812rb i think the stereo doesnt turn off when you take the key out the ignition i have to turn it off manually
ive looked 4 the red and yellow wires with no luck
any suggestions

Diablo559

Diablo
Mar 1, 2005
N.Ireland
alpine.jpg

this one lol i have mine done direct to battery so it stays on all the time . theres a red and a yellow wire one has to be on all the time that would be your memory wire for radio saves and stuff . the other has to go on and off with the ignition . from what i remember the standard radio turned off with the ignition but could be turned on again correct me if am wrong.:redface: will go and have a searchy here see what i find.

t_searle

Mar 23, 2006
Checked my alpine, and when switched off with headlights on there is no illumination. Also when on there is not change when headlights are turned on and off. On a different note----it does say Happy Haloween and puts a pumkin thing on the screen----cant wait for xmas now!!!

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Checked my alpine, and when switched off with headlights on there is no illumination. Also when on there is not change when headlights are turned on and off. On a different note----it does say Happy Haloween and puts a pumkin thing on the screen----cant wait for xmas now!!!

Wot alpine unit av u got? :lol:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise