fast speed drop from 70

sean443

bit off a newbie question i was out driving tonite and was on the motor way i went up to 70 car was in 6th gear i took my feet off the pedals and i was back at 50 in 4 seconds my brakes dont feel to be rubbing any info on this problem

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Try touching your alloys after a drive and see if there very hot, obviously expect them to be hot so as not to scald your hand if they are.
This would point towards binding brakes.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've had this a few times for apparently no reason. Most times I could take my foot off and it would drop to 65 after a few seconds, other times I could feel a distinct nosedive and see cars behind me having trouble to slow down as quick. Both could be felt in the same journey, with no application of brakes at all.

I can only think that the ECU sometimes takes different approaches to a released gas pedal, sometimes reducing the fuel gently and other times cutting it to idle levels.

sean443

i will go for another drive tonight and check my wheels after a good drive but my brake pads do seem to have uneven wear on them

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Pads will always wear inside first as this is where the hydraulic oil come in.

I don't think that's right, in fact I might go as far to say that you're way off the mark ;). The whole caliper moves on the sliders, the pressure is split 50:50 between the piston side pad and the opposite side pad. If it doesn't, then the caliper or it's carrier needs cleaning or overhauling.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Yes, when using a single pistoned caliper but me and willie have the brembo four pots
So two pistons either side

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Sounds like a binding brake. As mentioned above i would try raising the vehicle (Dont climb underneath a jacked car without axle stands or similar) and spin the wheels?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yes, when using a single pistoned caliper but me and willie have the brembo four pots
So two pistons either side

And you reckon there is a pressure imbalance on either side? I'm still not convinced that's right, or healthy!:D

My bike brakes are a similar four pot design, with a fixed caliper, and they wear both sides evenly.

At least, that's what is meant to happen, the OP suggesting uneven pad wear does suggest a binding brake. :whistle:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members