First Test Drive (hooked)!!!!

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
Morning all,

I test drove a 54 plate silver LCR 225 on Sunday and I loved it, especially as the dealer threw me the key and said go have a play. So I did!!!!!For an hour and a half!!

I was impressed with the build quality, liked the interior layout and equipment and was surprised just how quick it felt. I've driven the CTR and clio 182, felt like the LCR would sh*t on both.

My only gripe was front end grip, scrabbles alot and imagin it would be a handfull in the wet. In addition I would be considering revo 1, but worried that it would make the car difficult to drive at full poke and whether the power would get wasted.

Finally, if i'm getting the revo, would it be wiser to buy an lcr 210 and use the money I would save to buy the upgrade. Are there any other additions that anyone would recommend that go hand in hand with Revo 1 Strut braces, 007 recirc dv, exhausts or pannel filters??

Thanks all and looking forward to join all you LCR owners out there.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
awelch said:
My only gripe was front end grip, scrabbles alot and imagin it would be a handfull in the wet. In addition I would be considering revo 1, but worried that it would make the car difficult to drive at full poke and whether the power would get wasted.

Finally, if i'm getting the revo, would it be wiser to buy an lcr 210 and use the money I would save to buy the upgrade. Are there any other additions that anyone would recommend that go hand in hand with Revo 1 Strut braces, 007 recirc dv, exhausts or pannel filters??

I think the LCR feels quicker than the CTR due to the way it delivers the power, in reality it's probably a little quicker on a rolling start but nothing much in it.

A friend of mine was looking at a new LCR just before Christmas but is now considering an older car for the same reasons as you, maybe one that already has a few mod's????.

Revo is perfectly useable but you will need to have some self control with the right foot.

Amongst other changes I would consider;-

Forge 007 Dump valve, not a performance mod except for the fact it performs better, faster, can be serviced and is more reliable.

Change the Pirelli tyres for something better Goodyear or Toyo's spring to mind, the Pirelli's are shockingly poor and expensive.

Dog Bone engine mount stops front end lift under acceleration TCS works less hard and the car feels more connected.

Perhaps a short shifter for the gearbox, reduces the throw by 50%, I;d recommend the EIP one avaialble via Westec.

Only bother with induction kits if you want some more turbo and dump valve noise otherwise muchos £££ and little performance gain.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
i think an LCR would beat a CTR.

Having driven both a CTR and mine, the CTR only feels a fraction quicker than mine, i think after a remap mine might have the edge over a ctr, but then most CTR drivers dont know how to drive em anyway

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
I think it depends on what you can afford. If you can afford a newer 225 and the mods, then why not get the newest car you can afford, if not, then go for an older one and get some mods done (if the older one doesn't have them already) a 210 and 225 remaps to the same anyway, so the only differences are cosmetic......

The mods mentioned above are spot on, working my way through that list myself ;)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
CupraSteve said:
i think an LCR would beat a CTR.

Having driven both a CTR and mine, the CTR only feels a fraction quicker than mine, i think after a remap mine might have the edge over a ctr, but then most CTR drivers dont know how to drive em anyway

Here we go again............there must be about 2 threads a week on the LCR V CTR subject.

I'll agree with what anyone says so long as we don't enter into any discussion on the subject

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Spanky said:
The mods mentioned above are spot on, working my way through that list myself ;)

S3 strut brace is cheap (£58 from your local Audi dealer) + fitting and fittings and quite a good improvment in turn-in.

Improve thre brakes with some FerrodoDS2500 or DS3000 pads maybe.

Ultimately my advice is get saving and get some Coilovers and chunky Anti-rollbars fitted.....makes a HUGE difference.

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
Ruddmeister said:
Dog Bone engine mount stops front end lift under acceleration TCS works less hard and the car feels more connected.

How much are we talking for the mounts and fittings and where from?

CTR's are ten a penny and a pain to drive as you have to rev the nuts off them to get them to do anything. Have you seen to pathetic torque figure.

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
Ruddmeister?? ( actual name?)

Just checked out the spec and pics of your LCR. Seriously impressive, and love the fact that its totally subtle. Not a fan of all these huge kits and chrome wheels. Its all about the bite and nothing to do with the bark.

Nicely done!!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
awelch said:
Ruddmeister?? ( actual name?)

Just checked out the spec and pics of your LCR. Seriously impressive, and love the fact that its totally subtle. Not a fan of all these huge kits and chrome wheels. Its all about the bite and nothing to do with the bark.

Nicely done!!

It was sold two weeks back you just missed it ;) had to go to make way for a company diesel A3 :( but it was a lot of fun.

awelch said:
How much are we talking for the mounts and fittings and where from?

You can buy the Powerflex bushes and get them fitted into the existing mount probably £25 for the bushes and then just fitting time.

I bought a replacement unit made in the US by EIP imported by Westec in the forum sponsors section. £85 + VAT and can be fitted by any decent garage in 20mins max. (remove undertray, unbolt existing, bolt in new mount and torque bolts, replace undertray)
http://www.westecperformance.co.uk/acatalog/Other_Products.html

Check out the sponsors section, scroll down half way
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/
You may find someone more local like http://www.bigboystoys-uk.com/ is better located for you

Last edited:

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
Steve

Hope you dont mind me picking your brain!! Is is posible and worthwhile to get anti roll bars front and rear on the stocl LCR suspension?

Boring question but how badly did the revo hit your pocket on fuel consumption?

Also why does evryoe seem to have fabia and golf wipers?

All the info is greatly appreciated, ( bee in my bonnet about new car!!!) :D

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
awelch said:
Steve

Hope you dont mind me picking your brain!! Is is posible and worthwhile to get anti roll bars front and rear on the stocl LCR suspension?

here's one I prepared earlier.....well it's covered in part
http://www.westecperformance.co.uk/customerreviews/suspension.pdf

Not something I did myself with stock suspension but I think it would work pretty well, do the front strut brace at the same time :shrug:

awelch said:
Boring question but how badly did the revo hit your pocket on fuel consumption?

Not much worse than standard you'll get an ave of 320miles on £50 of Superunleaded a little less when booted.

awelch said:
Also why does evryoe seem to have fabia and golf wipers?

with Fabia wiper blade and cover

DSC00773.jpg

with standard wiper
seat_leon_cupra_back.jpg

Cost of the conversion £19 in Parts and takes 10 mins to do
awelch said:
All the info is greatly appreciated, ( bee in my bonnet about new car!!!) :D

No problem

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members