Fitted newJVC headunit - and removed it again - woe!

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
So, after asking a few questions on here, doing a lot of reading etc, I ordered the bits last week to replace my standard headunit with a improved one. I hunted around and struggling to find something in my price range settle on the JVC KW-AVX720. According to the JVC website, it played DVD, divx, CD's and had a removable facia - everything I wanted.

Friday it arrived, I unpacked and fitted it that night. It took me 4 - 5 hours, being new to this, I had all the correct cables, the canbus, the fakra aerial adapter and the replacement facia. All went well and I got it in without a hitch, even managing to get the factory bluetooth working via the aux socket

After a bit of messing, ready to go in I thought, right, out with the radio, take it in the house. But I couldn't figure out how to remove the facia. In the end I emailed JVC and the retailer.

This morning I got an email from the retailer stating the facia WASN'T removable... I checked the JVC website and they'd edited their webpage (see link above, and note even NOW its still wrong 3 lines from the bottom) as a result of my email, but never bothered to contact me. I was annoyed - obviously. But having printed a copy of the page, and saved a copy to my pc... I knew I wasn't mistaken. All I could think was "I spent all that time making it work and now its not right!"

Long story short - after speaking to JVC on the phone who stated they might be able to do something, hinting at upgrade to the higher model, and crediting the amount to the retailer - they asked me to get the retailer to call them - thats where it all went even worse.

From that point on JVC wouldn't talk to me because I wasn't the retailer, and the retailer wasn't seeming that interested because it wasn't their error. I was stuck in the middle. Even when I called JVC back later, and explained I wasn't getting anywhere - all I was given was the address to write a letter to (which I've done).

Now, the outcome, after 5 hours fitting the thing, more time removing it, as well as messing around calling people and trying to sort out THEIR mess I've come away with ...nothing. Not even a goodwill gesture from JVC or the free upgrade they hinted at to the model with the removable screen for all the hassle. I just have a hole in my dashboard and a feeling of being conned. It wouldn't be so bad, but the unit is £60 more retail, trade, perhaps £30 - £40, to JVC themselves £10 maybe? But they weren't interested.

Does anyone else think its unfair that because of their mistake, nothing whatsoever to do with me, and a mistake they didn't even bother to email me back about and own up to (only sneakily changing their website), I now have nothing, only a load of wasted time, and a wrongly specced headunit they are coming to pick up?!​

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
I took it out because I bought it for the removable facia - and then it didn't have one. The product description was wrong.

I didn't actually decide to send it back as such, but nobody would talk to me at JVC and the dealer just arranged for it to go back. Apparantly JVC weren't interested in anything else.

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
I dont have pics, but I can tell you what you need to replace the head unit.

You need to remove the old one first. Cut up an old DVD box into 4 strips, 2 x 2 cm wide ish and round off the ends. Cut two more the width of the slots in the seat headunit. leave the ends square.

Shove the curved ones into the facia under the half moon shapes next to the air con display.
Shove the squared ones into the slots in the headunit near the bottom.
Use a leftover piece of dvd box and slide it round the endges of the headunit - prising it out.

Then you need facia adapter 1P2858063N87 where N87 denotes the colour, this one is for silver, David at Sere provided mine, It goes in the hole left by the headunit and provides a double din hole.

You need a fakra aerial adapter (search ebay)

You need a Canbus adapter which also converts the seat harness to standard ISO - this is item Connects2 CTSST001​

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members