Fitting skirts to non gti spec

MomoMK2

Jul 3, 2007
York
Hi,

i have read the 'side skirt fitting guide' on the knowledge base but it isnt really a fitting guide is it? more like a 'take off, spray, and put back on guide'

i have also used search but havent found anything of enough relevance...

basically i need to fit gti/cupra skirts to my standard spec 1.4 ibiza.

the guy who posted them only gave me afew of the clips that fit to the sills so can i order these in???

whats the best way for me to fit them? is it safe to drill into the sills to put the clips on?

and once ive done that they will just be hanging and abit wobbly so where else can i secure them and how??

any advice would be much appreciated!!

cheers. Tom.

G223

Dec 6, 2007
dont drill your sills, your just asking for them to rot out in about 3 years

MomoMK2

Jul 3, 2007
York
cheers guys

has anyone done this before???

just to stress these are GENUINE SEAT skirts onto a standard non-skirt spec 1.4

these arent cheap fiberglass skirts, the the flex-plastic gen skirts are pretty heavy and i don't want them to fall off!!!

because of where all the original screw fixings are on the skirt im not sure whether i'd get large enough contact areas between the sill and the skirt if i was JUST using adhesive.

any more advice on this???

cheers/

MomoMK2

Jul 3, 2007
York
rivet the clips onto the skirts... you can buy more clips from seat, and then screw the skirts onto the car from underneath and at either end to the wheel arches :D

Pretty much how they are on gtis is that

cheers dude but i dont have these clips already.....

image001.jpg

so is it safe to rivet these on? and when you say rivet what kinda rivets etc should i use? (i'm a proper noob when it comes to this)

cheers.

nev

Mar 27, 2007
Southampton
decided to drag up this thread....

I have fitted my skirts, using the screwed fixings underneath the car, and a screw attatching in the wheel arch. I dont have any of these clips below the door, and the skirts are not on secure enough for my liking.

I was going to just buy some quite thick adhesive pads...around 10mm or something, would this work or if not what else should i do?

cheers

Nev

PS; i realise i have a mk3 but its basically the same problem and didnt want to make a new thread only to be told to search

nev

Mar 27, 2007
Southampton
i would try some sort of adheasive, but at a firm holding point (imo) the skirt is not flush to the car, as the slight lip on the top of the skirt prevents it from being...hence the 10mm pad idea.

So these clips can be purchased from the dealers? how do they work *without trying to sound too stupid, its just i cant remember anything for them to attatch to on the skirt itself

cheers for replies

MomoMK2

Jul 3, 2007
York
i would try some sort of adheasive, but at a firm holding point (imo) the skirt is not flush to the car, as the slight lip on the top of the skirt prevents it from being...hence the 10mm pad idea.

So these clips can be purchased from the dealers? how do they work *without trying to sound too stupid, its just i cant remember anything for them to attatch to on the skirt itself

cheers for replies

I did them entirely with sikaflex 221 in the end!! been on for 6 weeks and dont look like they're going anywhere soon!

I know it sounds bodged but i spent a hell of a long time with the sill clips in my hand deciding how i was going to do it, no one on SCN seemed to have done it before, Seat here in York had no idea what i was on about, and a local bodyshop guy i was recommended (really nice genuine bloke just outside of York) said he'd feel bad taking the job on (!!) explained to me exactly how he'd do it with Sikaflex 221 and reassured me if i was careful and took my time it wouldn't be as difficult as i thought.

First i soaked the skirts in hot soapy water (they were from a scrappy), and fixed any tears and cracks in the plastic with SikaFlex 221 (make sure its 221!) also i dabbed some against the clips that hold the jacking point covers up in place (they hang down if there worn and it looks rubbish!)

I just scrubbed down the sills and the 'rail' under the car that the clips grip on to, then filled the underneath screw clip openings full of sikaflex, as well as the
front arch end, mine and a friends pair of hands slowy eased the skirt into place then while he held i got my head right under and bashed the clips right up onto the rail as far as they would go (they kinda clicked in).

So now just the front hanging away from the car i just applied a thin bead of sikaflex to each of the clip hanger parts (they extrude the furthest so touch the sill the most) then applied a thicker bead to the rest of the length of the skirt. Pushed it up into place and got my mate to hold in place whilst i applied strips of '5-day' (strong) thick masking tape from the underneath of the skirt, pulling up and sticking right up on the door of the car (make sure panels are clean so it sticks for awhile!!) then leave 16 hours and hey presto!

nev

Mar 27, 2007
Southampton
sounds good, so basically this sikaflex is used instead of any of the screws? and it attatches the actual plastic of the skirt to the sill of the car. Where abouts can i get some?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
its like heavy duty no more nails for cars :)

be adviseable to have some masking tape or similar handy to hold it in place whilst its setting but stuck door mouldings on that have had the tape gone dry before. masked em in place and left overnight and even tried to get one off one day - woah wasnt going anywhere

double sided tape is only good on dry warm clean panelwork with a gentle blowing of a hot air gun

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise