FK Droplinks broken!

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Hey guys!

More of a warning then anything - my FK droplinks have broken. I've had a terrible knocking noise for around 6 months now and couldnt work out what was causing it....

I've changed wishbone bushes, engine mounts and bought some top mount bushes to fit. As the garage went to fit them today, removed the drop link and that is what was causing it. The drivers side drop link, the ball joints had broken.

So - instead of buying more aftermarket droplinks, which are obviously inferior in quality, it was time to find something more OEM.

Standard Ibiza droplinks are approx 270mm long, the FK shorter droplinks are about 240mm long. Of course, this caused a problem!

After searching, found out that Ford Puma (=very gay car) but has droplinks of approx 238mm, and they are angled the same way as the Ibiza ones! Result! Bought one for about £12, fitted it, what a treat, no more knocking and hopefully, a much better quality droplink! So, fits the same and is much shorter! Hopefully this info will prove helpful to all those who experience broken FK droplinks. I know sooty22 had exactly the same problems.

Maybe make this thread sticky? Or easy to find?

Hope this helps guys!

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Do you have fk coilies ash? I know chris said he fooked all his when he had his ibiza and a few mates with them on other cars have popped their shocks too :|

glad you have sorted it now though matey :)

also another mate on another forum has a polo gti and he has had mondeo adjustable droplinks fitted to his which were also quite cheap

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Hmm I'll have to check mine over....no knocking yet but just to make sure. Did you replace the other side too?

Do your front shocks have dust cover fitted? I thought that maybe one of the reasons that some FK shocks fail is due to them not having dust covers fitted. Dirt may get down into the strut and damage it some how

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Do you have fk coilies ash? I know chris said he fooked all his when he had his ibiza and a few mates with them on other cars have popped their shocks too :|

glad you have sorted it now though matey :)

also another mate on another forum has a polo gti and he has had mondeo adjustable droplinks fitted to his which were also quite cheap

I do! I have the FK Sport Edition Plus! Quite a cheap setup and fully damping adjustable, which sounds ideal but anything softer than hard, and the car just bounces! So it's practically useless....

Hmm I'll have to check mine over....no knocking yet but just to make sure. Did you replace the other side too?

Do your front shocks have dust cover fitted? I thought that maybe one of the reasons that some FK shocks fail is due to them not having dust covers fitted. Dirt may get down into the strut and damage it some how

I dont think mine do either....

No I haven't replaced the other side - i figured it hasn't broken yet so no need to worry. As long as I remember in time that Puma ones fit and problem will be solved!

josh263uk

Waiting for the sunshine!
Aug 13, 2007
Saarland Germany
This may have been asked, but at what point (when lowering) should you go for shorter drop links?

I have had a slight knocking noise, but only used springs to lower the car, so I may try new drop links, but should they be replaced for standard or short ones?

Thanks

Josh

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
This may have been asked, but at what point (when lowering) should you go for shorter drop links?

I have had a slight knocking noise, but only used springs to lower the car, so I may try new drop links, but should they be replaced for standard or short ones?

Thanks

Josh

My standard droplinks are 270mm. The shorter droplinks are 238-240mm. Therefore I'd say you need shorter droplinks if you're near the 30mm lowering mark?

Just a total guess!

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
Hey guys!

More of a warning then anything - my FK droplinks have broken. I've had a terrible knocking noise for around 6 months now and couldnt work out what was causing it....

I've changed wishbone bushes, engine mounts and bought some top mount bushes to fit. As the garage went to fit them today, removed the drop link and that is what was causing it. The drivers side drop link, the ball joints had broken.

So - instead of buying more aftermarket droplinks, which are obviously inferior in quality, it was time to find something more OEM.

Standard Ibiza droplinks are approx 270mm long, the FK shorter droplinks are about 240mm long. Of course, this caused a problem!

After searching, found out that Ford Puma (=very gay car) but has droplinks of approx 238mm, and they are angled the same way as the Ibiza ones! Result! Bought one for about £12, fitted it, what a treat, no more knocking and hopefully, a much better quality droplink! So, fits the same and is much shorter! Hopefully this info will prove helpful to all those who experience broken FK droplinks. I know sooty22 had exactly the same problems.

Maybe make this thread sticky? Or easy to find?

Hope this helps guys!

Hiya Ash!
I remember reading this at the time, but now find myself needing a new set if drop links as my cars just failed it's MOT!

Do you know which model of Ford Puma these OEM ones you have used are from or are they all the same across the range?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Hiya Ash!
I remember reading this at the time, but now find myself needing a new set if drop links as my cars just failed it's MOT!

Do you know which model of Ford Puma these OEM ones you have used are from or are they all the same across the range?

there all the same pal

As joop said.

Just crap all across the range! :lol: I think they only did a 1.6 Puma? Apart from the rally styleeee one.

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Oh no, what did I start there! :blink:

My misses has a 1.7 puma and it handles way better out the box than any Mk4 Ibiza ever did. Has great chuckability if thats even a word :lol:

The racing puma is a widebody version basically, has 4 pot brakes as standard which your R doesn't Ash ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.