FL FR TDi Intial Ipression and Pics

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
After 190 miles we have both been impressed with the economy, performance and looks of the car. The luna grey silver paintwork seems to suit the car well and shows off the extended wheel arches and slash along the body very well. The 17" Ibera wheels do look bigger than the 17" size that they are. The car is mechanically and electrically a Golf GTD reclothed IMO a more stylish suit. Even the back box of the exhaust is Golf GTD, just the interior lacks some of the soft touch plastics of the GTD.

DSC00454.jpg

The ride is still firm but the car corneres well and the XDS seems to do its job well and although ultimate grip and cornering was better in my 1 series it is very close and I would say in the wet probably more secure. The 17" wheells do give a slightly more compliant ride and road noise is a little less than the optional 18" as well. Off the mark a 120d is faster but the Leon seems more sprightly through the gears. The engine is a paech and VAG has an engine as good as the 2 litre 120d 177 and smother at idle than the 118d 143 that has a differnt injection system (does not have piezo injectors). Steering feel is also not as good as the 1 Series but is a little lighter and easier at manouvering speeds.

DSC00459.jpg

The Leon does seem to be a much better quality product and the materials use have made a step forward. The gaps on the centre consol are unsightly still but the soft touch Carbon fibre effect dash surrounding it looks and feels of a quality product and after a 2 hour drive home today it seemed well screwed togther and was quite a relaxing place to be in what is in esscence a hot hatch that makes a decent cruiser too.

DSC00456.jpg

Time will tell how good the car is but intial impression is a car that in some ways is better than my 3 1 Series's I owned before and certainly more spacious as well as a refreshing change after 6 years of BMW's. Lets see how good the both the product and the aftersales to see if we get another Leon or the new BMW 1 Series come 2013!!

DSC00455.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00452.jpg

Mods will be a private plate, already upgraded the lights and added a load linner oh and of course the SEAT OEM RNS510 Sat Nav that is due to be fitted any time soon

Last edited:
looks nice and i'm not normally a silver fan, I had a 118d on demo for 3 days and its not a bad car, the build was ok but the driveing/seating position was great it was a much better car than my then audi a3, not sure i'd take one over the leon though. GLad the whole dealer episod turned out well in the end :)

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
looks nice and i'm not normally a silver fan, I had a 118d on demo for 3 days and its not a bad car, the build was ok but the driveing/seating position was great it was a much better car than my then audi a3, not sure i'd take one over the leon though. GLad the whole dealer episod turned out well in the end :)

Thanks I had the FL 118d and that was a very good car and the Leon is easily as good overall and with an avg mpg of 50 today quite economical for the size and type. Agree on the driving position and controls the BM was spot on and RWD is fun no doubt!! Silver does seem to suit the Leon very well was not sure when I placed the order. Providing th RNS510 fits and works ok it will. SEAT uk are getting a letter over it though not that I expect anything back :headhurt:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
nah the letter will be put in the executive toilets to cut down on the use of andrex ;)

Sadly you not wrong there Grrrrr

Looks very shiny, done a nice paint finish

Thanks it is a DIY Supagard once I had prepped bodywork and removed dirt and delivery gunk residue left. Once Supagarded I then I applied of Autoglym High definition wax. Did the same to the wheels as well pleased with the overall finish. Very very shiny lol :)

Last edited:

T_higgs89

Need more POWER!!!
Feb 2, 2009
Wirksworth
nice car mine definatly needs a clean and some pics up now lol was meaning to do it over the weekend but have been busy with work

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
nice car mine definatly needs a clean and some pics up now lol was meaning to do it over the weekend but have been busy with work

Thanks Mr T it helped that the car was a wee bit shiny to start with lol. O think th Ibiza of your's deserves a good clean and some TLC!!!

I have added Xenon Max H7 bulbs for dipped an Xtec Xenon HID effect bulbs for dipped looked good but not tried them in the dark yet.

The Recaro Young Sport Seat cost £181 although we got it FOC due to the Media System we orded not being fitted. It is a very good childs SEAT and high quality too.

FR_Flavoured

The ride is still firm but the car corneres well and the XDS seems to do its job well and although ultimate grip and cornering was better in my 1 series it is very close and I would say in the wet probably more secure.

Time will tell how good the car is but intial impression is a car that in some ways is better than my 3 1 Series's I owned before and certainly more spacious as well as a refreshing change after 6 years of BMW's. Lets see how good the both the product and the aftersales to see if we get another Leon or the new BMW 1 Series come 2013!!

Isn't the BMW " 1 Series ", the budget series of all those BMW make, ie: compared to all the others, 3 / 5 / 'M' series etc? :)

Also what version of the 1 series did you drive before then, that handled better than this FR?

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
The Recaro Young Sport Seat cost £181 although we got it FOC due to the Media System we orded not being fitted. It is a very good childs SEAT and high quality too.

ive got the exact same seat apart from the seat badge, its a standard recaro seat and is available all over the place, google recaro young sport.

we paid about 135 for ours delivered. it may not have the seat badge but its the same seat. and most importantly its a good child seat.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Isn't the BMW " 1 Series ", the budget series of all those BMW make, ie: compared to all the others, 3 / 5 / 'M' series etc? :)

Also what version of the 1 series did you drive before then, that handled better than this FR?

The 1 Series is the starting point for BMW's but it shares 80% of its parts with the 3 Series, engine, electrics, suspension, drivetrain, brakes, Seats ect. There dervs are excellent especially the twin turbo 123d. About time VAG caught up now the 170 CR lump is as good as the BM 177 lump!!

I have had 3 1 Series the pre FL 120d SE then 116i SE and then a FL 118d. It was the 118d 143 that drove slightly better had M SPort suspension as well.

The steering was sharper and had better feel, also being RWD it was far easier to get the power down and power out of corners with very little understeer. But if pushed the 1er would understeer as opposed to oversteer. It is still the best handling small hatch I have driven. But boot space and interior space is limited, RFT tyres are rubbish and expensive. The Leon is more stylish as well.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
SEAT still need a few tweaks even on the FL Leon even though overall I think it is one of the best car's I have owned and the car grows on you the more you drive it.

SEAT for the MKIII please will you:

Make the ride height lower for a hot hatch the gap between the wheel and arch should be 20mm lower.

Sterring is a little too light and lacks ultimate feel make it more meaty and better feel.

17" wheels work much better with the suspension but's don't look as good so make 18" wheels work with the suspension better.

Add more sound deadening to rear wheel arch to improve interior refinment again especially with 18" wheels.

Keep hidden door handles really help the cars lines oh and stops yor children from being able to open doors onto walls seeing as they cannot reach the handles in the first place!!!

That is it only other things I have noticed is the FL TDi now has smaller discs and callipers than the Pre FL TDI. The same setup as the Golf GTD and wonder how much the GTD and FL TDi were developed together. Or did SEAT get the all clear to empty the new Golf MKIV parts bin once it had come out. As the mechanicals and electrics are pretty much 100% the same after looking closely at both!!! A excellent car and does not always get the praise it deserves :cartman:

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
If you don't mind me asking how much is the sat nav costing?

Are you getting fitting free since they stuffed up?

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
If you don't mind me asking how much is the sat nav costing?

Are you getting fitting free since they stuffed up?

The sat nav is costing £600 including fitting but other than the GPS arieal is pretty much plug and play. The SEAT dealer won't do it and still trying to see if SEAT uk have an answer. Bit going through OEM installations and getting a OEM SEAT RNS510 fitted instead.

jaykicksass

2011 SEAT Leon SE 1.2 tsi
Jun 11, 2009
devon
I have just noticed that you have bridgestone tyres, i have the same wheels but have pirrelli p zeros! any idea why this might be?
Jamie

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I have just noticed that you have bridgestone tyres, i have the same wheels but have pirrelli p zeros! any idea why this might be?
Jamie

Often when they make cars they have a couple of recomended brands and fit what is available at the time.

I had the same tyres (RE050) but RFT version on my 1 Series and found them to be quite good better dry than wet though. See how I got on with the non RFT version!!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Is this true , if so what size have they gone down to??

Only the rear have changed and gone to a 256mm disc I think will check........same as the 140 and 1.4TSi setup. TFSI has retained the larger rear disc and calliper setup of the orginal FR and same as the Golf GTi.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.