Flashing preheat system warning light

Deleted member 28319

Had the above coil warning light start flashing at me tonight whilst driving home and wandered if anyone had an idea what the problem coud be. I also wandered if the car was safe to drive in between now and when i could poss get it in the garage which might be next thursday or friday...:think::think:.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
You mean the glow plug light? Usually this is a faulty brake light or system. Check the brake lights first, check the bulbs, then maybe the brake pedal switch after that.

Deleted member 28319

Thats the one and thanks, just checked and seems like i have no brake lights.. Funny as the owners hand book says this light was for the engine management system. I also checked the fuse and that was o.k, do you know where this switch is. In the meantime i'll check the forum for it as well..

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Good stuff. VAG have a strange way of telling you there's a fault with the systems. A glow plug fault manifests as an engine management light, not a glow plug light. :shrug:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The glow plug light or pigs tail light or coil light which ever you'd prefer used to be a sign of an engine management fault but since the introduction of compulsary EOBD (on board diagnostics for european vehickles built from 2004+) the engine management light was introduced to show anf emmision related faults and the glow plug light as manufacterers specific faults.

The glow plug light acts in the same way as an EPC light on a petrol (EPC meaning electronic programme control) and this light would illuminate at the sign of an electrical fault within the system that it monitors; such as a faulty brake light switch, clutch postion switch etc etc.

reefa x

coil light

had the same problem, aparently it means the system is reheating but I have a problem with my car and its the brake lights.