flip key info thread

LazyBrit

Hey I have a MK4 Ibiza with a normal 2 Key remote, I want a flip key for as cheap as possible but I don't want to use the chip in this key as id like 2 keys.

Can anyone give me some links to what I should be buying and how much I should be paying to get it sorted.

Thanks guys

Alex

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
if you look at my post on the previous page it tells you exactly what part number remote you need for your Ibiza.

As for programming, if you want to do it yourself then you'll have to buy some software/equipment that will read the SKC(Security Key Code) needed for key programming & also some software/equipment that will program the key. You will also have to get the new blade cut

Or you can find somebody to do it all for you. I do key cutting & programming as part of my business. I live in Huddersfield but travel all over Yorkshire, Lancashire, Lincolneshire, Humberside, Northumberland, Derbyshire & most of the Midlands

Craig

Last edited:

LazyBrit

Ah right sorry, didn't fancy reading loads of pages to find what I wanted. How much does it cost from you? I live in Stafford btw if that affects the price.

I'm guessing to buy the uncut key and do it myself would cost me around 50 pounds all in correct?

Thanks

Alex

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
a flip remote from Ebay is going to cost you about £40. Then you will have to find somebody to cut it, don't bother going to Timpsons, they won't cut a customer supplied blank blade. A lot of other key cutting shops won't do it neither

This is partly due to a lot of Ebay key blades been really poor quality metal which breaks cutters in cutting machines. I keep a stock of good quality blades & just pop them the remote if the customer has supplied it as i've had too many cutters break with crap blades & my cutters are £20 each.

You will then have to buy something like VAG Tacho to read the SKC & program the transponder.

Where you live does effect the price. I can't do say a 200 mile round trip for the same price i'd do a key for a local customer. Where abouts in Stafford are you? 1st part of post code will do.

What i try to do is book jobs that are similar area in on the same day. That way i can reduce the price for each customer as i spread the travelling costs between them

LazyBrit

Also so I'm looking at about 65 all in if i were to get it done myself?

How much would it be from yourself if you were already in the area?

Thanks

Alex

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
nope, won't work with yours. If you read back through the pages i've listed the part number you need.

Although you probably couldn't be bothered otherwise you would've already done it & found the correct part number yourself in which case you wouldn't have had to ask if the remote you found is correct ;)

you need 1j0959753n. Also £40 for a refurbished remote is a rip off. I do brand new remotes for not much more than that & I always have them in stock

xxjay247xx

Jul 14, 2012
Wales
nope, won't work with yours. If you read back through the pages i've listed the part number you need.

Although you probably couldn't be bothered otherwise you would've already done it & found the correct part number yourself in which case you wouldn't have had to ask if the remote you found is correct ;)

you need 1j0959753n. Also £40 for a refurbished remote is a rip off. I do brand new remotes for not much more than that & I always have them in stock

Thanks for the reply and information! :)

Would it be possibly to buy a key off you?

rmn25

Just wanted to say a massive thanks for all the info & great help on here.

I got the flip key mod sorted recently.
Got a used genuine vw flip key with new blank blade from ebay for £12.
Reprogrammed to unlock the car with no trouble.
Had the blade cut at a local place for £5.
Put the transponder in from my SEAT spare key.

Got a SEAT badge for the flip key from ebay for £1.40.

All sorted for less than £20. Much better than the supplied SEAT key.

The hardest part was getting the transponder out of the used vw flip key, it was glued in. The transponder in my spare wasn't, it just popped out.

Great little mod ;)

Rich

muddyfox470

Does this work for non VDO cluster sets, mine is TRW so I don't know whether that can get read, a lot of the information is a little iffy around the subject.

Can you tell me which cluster you have (should say next to the VCDS/vag com printout), just to see if it is worth going for the K+CAN to read the SKC?

Mine is any idea if it is compatible?

Thank you!

Can I just bump my question. After taking the cluster apart it is 100% TRW, but how easy is it to communicate with the cluster, does anyone know whether the VAG-Tacho will work with TRW clusters, has anyone tried?

6L Seat Ibiza Sport 1.9tdi PD130

Charlie292

Boys and Girls, I need a little help. I skimmed most of this but I cant find the answer I need. I want to convert my 1998 cordy to a flip key, I got hold of the guts from a flip key with the part number HLO 1JO 959 753 which was a two button remote from a Bora I think, had a new blade cut put my RF chip in so it now starts the car no problem. But I cant for the life of me get the central locking to programme. I've followed the procedure in the user manual, I managed to reprogramme my original key without an issue it just wont respond to the new key at all. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Both keys are the same frequency just the new one wont play ball.

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
what made you buy the remote with the part number that you did? If you'd taken your time, didn't skim read & maybe asked a question or 2 before buying a remote then you wouldn't be in a position where you've bought a remote that isn't compatible with your car :rolleyes: ;)

No matter how many times you try to program it you won't get it to work. The part number needed for a 1998 Cordoba is either

7M3959753 OR 7M3959753F

Brand new they're 1 of the most expensive VAG remotes going. Just for the remote part they're £102 from my key supplier which doesn't include the key head with blade & transponder

Also the part number you've bought, depending of year of Bora it came from has 1 or letters 2 missing from the end.

Charlie292

I saw the first page of this very thread, that's where I got the number from, I found one very cheap (I'm talking pennines), so I figured why not. I read about the first 10 pages, a few pages back from the end and skimmed a good few more and saw nothing that contradicted this. So that's where I got the number from. Ironically shortly after posting I found the correct part number I needed somewhere different all together.

I guess I'll get looking again then.

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
did you actually find a post on here that stated 1j0 959 753 as being correct for your year corboda? the cordoba uses same remote as similar year Ibiza & Alhambra. This thread is also for the mk4 Ibiza whereas your cordoba is same as mk2 Ibiza

A lot of people on here have bought remotes that haven't got quite the correct part number due to not reading things properly or rubbish information. I get quite a few calls per week from people that have bought a remote off of ebay that isn't correct for their car.

I put a post on asking if I could list all the correct VAG remote part numbers but nothing came of it. It would be very useful because not many people are going to read all 96 pages of this thread

Most ignore the letters at the end of the part number & that's the most important part. Compared to other VAG remotes the Ibiza/Cordoba 7M3 remote is a very rare remote. I've had 1 in stock for months. The majority of Seats I do are mk4 Ibiza's & mk1 Leons. Although i am starting to do more & more newer models like mk2 leon etc

Charlie292

The post I found stated nothing, every other thread I saw relating to similar questions whilst searching just got some smart arse on it just telling them to look at this thread normally followed by a link to it; even if they were asking about a Seat from my generation not a Mk4.

Like you just said, people are not going to sit there and trawl through 96 pages of people wondering why there keys aren't working to find out the correct part they need, this is exactly where I came a cropper. Similarly like I said I found my mistake shortly after posting on here originally from a different source all together, seeing as I've only lost out on 99p, I'm not to worried.

I would say just make the list and get it made a sticky, even if there isn't much call for it, then it will stop people like me who are actively searching the information being taken for a fool just because I took a 99p chance and it didn't pay off!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.