flip key info thread

Aimez

There is a reason Timpsons say the blades are cheap from ebay, er they are had mine about 2 years and it snapped in the ignition VERY lucky I was at work and they sorted it for me and I could use a work car to go home to collect my spare key if it happened elsewhere I would have been screwed!! I am a bit scared to buy another blade now tbh in case I get stranded! I need to find a decent blade from somewhere as this has happened to a friend of mine on here Jimski too!

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
Hmmm. Yeh. If people are refusing to cut them (they must see hundreds if not thousands of keys. They must know something about them right?!) then it does tend to question if they are right. And if yours snapped that does put me off a bit.

Been quoted about £70 for a new key from Seat and that excludes programming the damn thing!

It's about £40 cheaper for just a spare (non-remote).

Not sure what to do now.

Can you get original key blades of good quality? Or perhaps timpsons can supply the blade themselves.

Phil

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
The bloke at Timpsons went on telling me how the blade was rubbish etc and he wouldn't cut it, so I asked him if he could supply one then. To which he said no, he can only provide blades for non-remote keys. I don't know what day and age Timpsons think we live in to be quite fair.

I eventually went somewhere local to have it cut, he didn't like the key either but for future reference he recommended Keyfax Manchester in Hyde for good quality replacement key blades, as they are a member of the correct associations or whatever.

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
I wouldn't let a couple of bad stories put you off mate, 10's or even 100's of people on SCN have got replacement remote keys and I've only heard of Aimez and Jimski having problems. At <£10, 2-3 years isn't bad even if it does break!

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
True I guess.

Think I will go ahead and buy that complete key then get it cut somewhere then coded.

If I have the SKC code can I programm it through vag-com? I have been told that the Seat garage can give me the code if I can prove I own the car etc.

Phil

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
The SKC is not just to program the remote. The SKC is the way the key is cut, hence why the seller needs it when cutting a blade for you, and is also used when cloning/programming a transponder chip.

Programming/syncing a remote is simply a combination of button presses etc. Although, do you mean programming in terms of the transponder chip? Do you have a current non-remote key you can take a working transponder out of?

If not, get the whole key kit, and get an auto locksmith to clone your current transponder. No other programming is needed apart from the remote syncing. An Auto lock smith is probably cheaper than a stealer as well.

Last edited:

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
Sorry yes. I should have been clearer.

I did mean the transponder yes.

I don't have a spare key no. Hence why I am trying to get another key. Not just for convenience with it being a shared car but if we loose the current key then it gets interesting/annoying and expensive!

I will try some local auto locksmiths if they can program a transponder for me.

Have seen how you programm the remote to the car etc.

Right really appreciate the help guys. It has cleared it all up for me and I understand it all now!

Thanks

Phil

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Ah okay I understand the situation now. I reckon buy the key you found on eBay, get the key cut to the SKC from the online seller (if the dealer can give it to you), get an auto locksmith to clone the transponder, then programming/syncing takes all of 2 minutes. Sorted :)

Aimez

yeh timpson said I had to buy a whole black key for £30 they do not do the blades, seriously the entire vw range has them keys are they stupid or what?! I am annoyed as I want the new FR key covers for the flip key.

Yeh you only heard of me and Jim true can see why I am put of thou if it was late and I was no where near home I would have been screwed! I expect it has happened to others as most people only keep there cars a few years and move on I had the car 5 years.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
It took me longer to search for this thread than to program mine today.
flip key and remote boot lock/unlock. Very nice.
now do i program the other one i bought too or sell it???

er6nphil

@ Chris a 73 did you get you flip key to work ?

I am looking at buying the same key of eBay !!

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
Still not got round to buying a new key.

Just been looking again.

It seems that the key with the number 1J0 959 753 CT was a replacement for 1J0 959 753 AG so that one should also work. Which is good because there's more of those on ebay.

Phil

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.