Floor soaked in the back!

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
This is a very strange problem that i noticed a couple of weeks back.

Basically the floor behind my drivers seat is constantly soaking wet!
Someone said it could be a hole underneath the car? Someone else said it could be a problem with the roof lining.
The roof lining looks fine, but i will need to jack the car up to have a look underneath.

This is also the cause of the moisture on the windows i get every morning, so i'd love to get it sorted!
I'm going to book it in for a service soon and i'll mention it then but i thought it also mention it to you guys to see what you think.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
It should be quite obvious if you look at them just run ur hand under the door or take a look for water marks, you could even get the hose/watering can on it and see whats what.

Jimski

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Yes at the moment my rear washer does work, i'd hate it if it didnt as my washer fluid doesnt exactly smell 'nice'

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I got fed up resealing my front door.... so now I just change the local newspaper that is under the rear mats once per week

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I got fed up resealing my front door.... so now I just change the local newspaper that is under the rear mats once per week
Im starting to see why you get fed up with it aswell!

I actually rang my local SEAT dealer and spoke to this man who didnt really tell me anything i hadn't already read on the internet, but he did also say that it costs between £400-£500 if i wanted them to do it.

For anyone who has done this before...
I have removed the plastic from the door and im left with the black metal 'ancillaries carrier panel' This would be a bad idea to remove, i partially removed some of it and i know it would be a nightmare to put back on, its still sticky on the rubber bits and i dont want them to loose there stickyness.

I some picture's on my phone to maybe help shed some light amd give a visual represetation of what i've done so far.
DSC00021.jpg

That's basically the stage i've got to so far. I've called it a day today as light is quickly fading and i dont want to get to an awkward stage without much light.

DSC00023.jpg

On this picture if you look to the left and slightly above of the hole there is some white/yellow'ish residue. I think this might be the original 'foam' sealer thats worn away, i really dont know though. Any confirmation?

DSC00022.jpg

Finally on this picture you can see more of the reside above that hole (part of the speaker is also in shot to help gauge where abouts on the door this is)

So if the residue is the original foam sealer surely i'd just silicone over it.
Any help would be fantastic and really appriciated because i do think i am at a bit of a loose end with this, and might have jumped into water a bit too deep for my puny little brain!:cry:

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Benji: that's the rear door, check the front door as well, leaks from there often result in water pooling in the back.

The seal that usually needs to be replaced is the one between the ancilliaries carrier and the door. This carries, amongst other things, the window mechanism and supports the glass, so complete removal is not trivial.

You don't need to remove the ancilliaries carrier completely, though. Take out all the bolts except the top row, which you just loosen. This lets you swing the carrier out from the door enough to see the seal and get to it.

Although the seal is still in place and may still be sticky, it will have started to leak at the corners and where it is bent around a small radius. The foam itself breaks down and water leaks through it. The drivers door is usually the first to go - my theory is that it is the most-used door, so the foam breaks down first, due to repeated opening and closing shocks.

I did my drivers door this way, taking out the old seal from about halfway down the door, around the bottom and halfway up the other side. I replaced it with the sealing cord recommended by VAG as a repair option - it looks a bit like mastic or underseal but in the form of an extruded cylindrical section. It cured my wet floors.

Cupra r 225bhp

GREY LCR 225
Dec 16, 2008
DERBY
i had same problem mate but on passenger side. my door seal was full of water every time it rained i hadd to squeze it out or it would drench my floor. so i went to breakers yard paid £10 got rear door door seals and not had problem since (touch wood)

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Hi Muttley.

Yes i was checking the rear door as the person i spoke to over the phone at my local SEAT dealer said it would most likely be that one.

I can't quite get my head around the 'channeling' system the water seems to go through.
It can't be complicated, i just can't seem to work it out! It's doing my head in!

I will refer back to your post if i dare have another go tommorow!
Thanks for that.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
The other alternative is to use sealant in a tube, just put a bead around the bottom half of the carrier while it is pulled away from the car. I used black bitumen rubber and it hasn't leaked since.

You can tell what door will be leaking as it will have wet sills.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
My problem is that im still not totally clear on what im looking for! So also I can't say if i eventually do find it that i'll be able to amend the problem!

Whats the yelllowish residue on the bottom two pictures?
Surely thats the original foam?

I also dont understand where the water exits!

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Chances are there won't be anything to see and the seals will look fine, mine did. But I resealed it anyway, as I had got that far, and it must of been the problem as the car is now dry. As other people have said, do the drivers door first. Even though it is wet in the back it can still be the front door.

the water is supposed to go out the bottom of the door. If you peel back the rubber seal under the door you will see 3 slots that let it drain outside the seal. If the foam seal has perished then it runs down hte inside of the door and onto the sill. This then fills up and the water gets into the car. After rain, when I opened the door water would come out odf the sill area and onto the floor.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Right! That's made it seem clearer, thanks md!

When i open the rear door water does fall out of the car from the sill aswell.

I was looking for the 3 drain holes at the bottom of the door and didnt see any, that confused me a bit and i started to wander where abouts the water drained from.

I think i'll try and have a good look at the rear door, then try the front again.
I'm just paranoid about not being able to put it back together again!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members