floppy clutch pedal

basemanuk

scooby to leon
Sep 30, 2008
chelmsford
hi there went to use the leon today and when i put my foot on the clutch it just flooped forward! i have been looking at some threads and most say its a white clip (which by looking today is on the end of a spring under the footwell) usualy brakes! but mine hasnt and there doesnt look like there seems to be any other probs! i spoke to a mechanic and he said that if the hydraulic clutch fluid has been leaking then u can usualy check the clutch fluid chamber and top it up just to get some bite on the clutch pedal so i can at least get it somwhere to be looked at. but i can not find another chamber only the brake one!

can anyone help or give any further advice

thanx

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
basemanuk wrote

hi there went to use the leon today and when i put my foot on the clutch it just flooped forward! i have been looking at some threads and most say its a white clip (which by looking today is on the end of a spring under the footwell) usualy brakes! but mine hasnt and there doesnt look like there seems to be any other probs!

The white clip on the floor is a symptom of the classic clutch pedal failure, where welds on the little spot-welded sheet metal box on the side of the pedal fail, allowing the end to pop open and the clutch master cylinder pushrod to poke through. The white clip gets pushed through, breaks on the way, and falls to the floor, and since there is no way for the pedal to push the pushrod any more, you have no clutch action.

i spoke to a mechanic and he said that if the hydraulic clutch fluid has been leaking then u can usualy check the clutch fluid chamber and top it up just to get some bite on the clutch pedal so i can at least get it somwhere to be looked at. but i can not find another chamber only the brake one!

There is only one reservoir that feeds both brake and clutch systems. The takeoff for the clutch is higher up the reservoir than the brake, so the clutch system feels the lack of fluid first. This is safer . . .

There's a low fluid level warning light that should alert you. There are two levels marked on the side of the reservoir and you should have the level up near the top one. If it's empty - there's your problem.

basemanuk

scooby to leon
Sep 30, 2008
chelmsford
The warning light has not come on! also im finding it hard to see where the leval of the fluid is on the container! I have put some more fluid in yet still cant see the leval. Is it possible to put too much in!
I know what your thinking if i cant see the fluid leval the surly there is no fluid yet wouldnt the warning light have gone off if it was that low!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
When you lift the top off the reservoir to put in fluid, the float switch attached to the cap should be wet with fluid for a good way up towards the cap.

Try sloshing the fluid in the reservoir by rocking the car, that will make the level a bit more visible. Also, try cleaning the outside of the reservoir.

There should be a wiring plug attached to the cap, taking the signal from the float switch

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.