Following on from DAVE FR PD130's thread.

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
i've just read through his paint restoration thread.....from the pictures i am very impressed!

I have a question or two though, so thought rather than spoil his thread....i'd start a new one.

Firstly, my car is a yellow 02' plate LCR...the paintwork has faded in places, this fading is shown up where the plastic parts are still vibrant, yet the metal panels around have faded.....i'm putting this down to heat from the sun not affecting the plastics as much.

Secondly, i'm 99% sure that the paintwork on my car is lacquered. If this is the case then the only way to correct the fading is to remove the lacquer and polish the paint....which i DON'T want to do lol.

So, were there any cars that weren't lacquered?

I have a porter cable and a selection of abrasive polishes, although i've only had a very brief try at correction on the car since i've had it ( saw no improvement)....if i stick at it will it come up?

i'm very surprised at the quality of the paintwork....i figured VAG paint should be spot on, unfortunately i am wrong!

here are some pics, the petrol cap shows what the colour should be :(

DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0870.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Looks like there is oxidation on the paint. Have you tried something like Autoglym Super Resin polish to remove the oxidation? Of course T-cut will do the same but that will be last resort imo.

Last edited:

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
that looks very similar to mine before i restored it m8! bright yellow plastic painted parts, and horribly faded metal work.

like you've read in my topic, i used T-Cut, mainly because i'd had previous experience with it, and after rebadging the boot to the new style badges, i used t-cut to remove the glue residue and was left with patches of bright yellow on my overall faded boot, so i just carried on using the t-cut i already had to hand.

if i was to do it again, i'd try a porter cable and a compound less abrasive

i'd say you should be able to restore it....eventually!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
that looks very similar to mine before i restored it m8! bright yellow plastic painted parts, and horribly faded metal work.

like you've read in my topic, i used T-Cut, mainly because i'd had previous experience with it, and after rebadging the boot to the new style badges, i used t-cut to remove the glue residue and was left with patches of bright yellow on my overall faded boot, so i just carried on using the t-cut i already had to hand.

if i was to do it again, i'd try a porter cable and a compound less abrasive

i'd say you should be able to restore it....eventually!
Good post.

Like Dave said, i would start with a much less abrasive compound. Autoglym Super Resin is a very good product for colour restoration. I did my girlfriends P reg corsa that turned pink on the weekend. Yes it was a lot of elbow work but results where impressive.

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
I used Menzerna PGC.....i may try some T-Cut on an inconspicuous area, although i need to get it outside as the colour difference isn't as obvious in my garage as i have flourescent lights.

i may send a pm your way when i come to do it lol.

thanks.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise