Formentor System Errors

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
So following my vehicle being recovered on Thursday to SMC Aldershot, they were able to repeatedly stop and restart the engine with no faults.

They contacted the upper echelons of Cupra/SEAT who requested that they send over all diagnostics and information for their review before trying anything that might muddy the waters.

This is clearly of great concern so hopefully gets prioritised - although I’m cynical that they will reach a resolution quickly... for the time being, I’m stuck with the Mitsubishi PHEV which in all fairness isn’t a bad vehicle, although clearly down on power and lacking in any driver involvement!

I truly hope your case being the most extreme of the faults we've seen son far, help shed light on the big issues on the car, and it gets fixed soon enough.

I think the worst part for you must be driving the PHEV haha

May 14, 2021
My Formentor has failed again (this time at work) with the exact same fault - lots of faults and engine doesn’t start. Only drove it twice since picking it up on Yesterday.

SEAT roadside assistance sent out the AA and he could see all these diagnostic gateway errors again so quickly arranged recovery. Despite requesting an equivalent vehicle the best Enterprise can provide (apparently) is a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV... maybe a slight upgrade from SEAT Tarraco? We’ll see...

So following my vehicle being recovered on Thursday to SMC Aldershot, they were able to repeatedly stop and restart the engine with no faults.

They contacted the upper echelons of Cupra/SEAT who requested that they send over all diagnostics and information for their review before trying anything that might muddy the waters.

This is clearly of great concern so hopefully gets prioritised - although I’m cynical that they will reach a resolution quickly... for the time being, I’m stuck with the Mitsubishi PHEV which in all fairness isn’t a bad vehicle, although clearly down on power and lacking in any driver involvement!
AndyCupra93...You are not alone. My Formentor has the same problem. Because I had a tracker fitted, the finger of suspicion bounces from car to Tracker and back. It has now been in the garage for 7 weeks! I am riding around in a new hybrid Leon courtesy car but am completely disillusioned with the car and brand... I had only had the car for 8 weeks when it failed to start and required recovery.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Got an update from SMC today - they had a response from SEAT after sending them the diagnostic information and video of the faults on the dash.

SEATs’ response was that they need to clear all the faults and try again to produce fresh fault diagnostics, despite the fact that the fault is clearly intermittent and they have since been able to restart the vehicle dozens of times without issue (so faults unlikely to reappear in their hands...)

I got the impression SMC were as shocked as I was at that stance - rather than responding to the information and providing some insight it’s like they’ve defaulted to the easiest answer, palming it off, maybe in the vain hope that it was some freak glitch that won’t recur...

Anyway, SMC are going to go ahead as directed, and then decide based on the results - if all these gateway faults don’t resurface (and therefore they will probably receive no extra guidance from SEAT), they will likely just put in a warranty claim for the Gateway module and get it replaced as that is their #1 suspect. Failing that, it might well be a full dash-removal job to inspect every wiring harness and connection for any faults...

I have to say so far SMC have been excellent and they clearly know how to provide customer service - I get daily calls from the same lady who updates me (even if just to say there’s no news, we’re waiting on SEAT etc). Not enough businesses seem to understand the value of that sort of service!

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
AndyCupra93...You are not alone. My Formentor has the same problem. Because I had a tracker fitted, the finger of suspicion bounces from car to Tracker and back. It has now been in the garage for 7 weeks! I am riding around in a new hybrid Leon courtesy car but am completely disillusioned with the car and brand... I had only had the car for 8 weeks when it failed to start and required recovery.

Hi GCP62,

Thank you for responding - are you having the exact same issue as I’ve described, and is it intermittent? Do you mind me asking which garage yours is at and what they’ve tried / told you so far?

There’s strength in numbers and being able to point to other evidence of the same issue could seriously bolster our chances of getting it escalated / resolved.

Thanks,
Andrew

4Mentor

May 19, 2021
No expert, but I believe these types of system errors could be related to the battery.
1. New car been sat for a while in transport
2. Generally people aren't driving as much
3. Lots of technology in the car drawing power
4. Battery may need to be fully/close to fully charged to operate the car optimally.
5. People fit trackers, cameras and other tech that draws more power than intended, sometimes even when car is off
6. The issues seem to be a bit random/intermittent and could be explained by a battery hovering around the required charge level, having issues and then reverting back to working normally when engine has charged it.
7. Generally that's what computers do when they don't have enough power, they work just enough to tell you.

I also had an audi TTS that had errors similar to the ones mentioned, systems not available etc but always when i thought the battery may have lost charge. Never had any issues/messages after a long drive.

Reactions: mm8718
May 14, 2021
Hi GCP62,

Thank you for responding - are you having the exact same issue as I’ve described, and is it intermittent? Do you mind me asking which garage yours is at and what they’ve tried / told you so far?

There’s strength in numbers and being able to point to other evidence of the same issue could seriously bolster our chances of getting it escalated / resolved.

Thanks,
Andrew
Hi Andrew
The car did exactly what yours did. SEAT assist came out and couldn’t get it started. Recovered to Perry’s of Bolton the following day. It started for the recovery team and the garage ran it when it arrived. After this it failed to start until yesterday. It shows all the symptoms of a failed body control unit failure. Is there any way you could direct message me through this forum. Lots of smoke and mirrors going on!
Gwynneth

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
No expert, but I believe these types of system errors could be related to the battery.
1. New car been sat for a while in transport
2. Generally people aren't driving as much
3. Lots of technology in the car drawing power
4. Battery may need to be fully/close to fully charged to operate the car optimally.
5. People fit trackers, cameras and other tech that draws more power than intended, sometimes even when car is off
6. The issues seem to be a bit random/intermittent and could be explained by a battery hovering around the required charge level, having issues and then reverting back to working normally when engine has charged it.
7. Generally that's what computers do when they don't have enough power, they work just enough to tell you.

I also had an audi TTS that had errors similar to the ones mentioned, systems not available etc but always when i thought the battery may have lost charge. Never had any issues/messages after a long drive.

Unfortunately not - battery was of course one of the first suspects but there’s no problem with it.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Hi Andrew
The car did exactly what yours did. SEAT assist came out and couldn’t get it started. Recovered to Perry’s of Bolton the following day. It started for the recovery team and the garage ran it when it arrived. After this it failed to start until yesterday. It shows all the symptoms of a failed body control unit failure. Is there any way you could direct message me through this forum. Lots of smoke and mirrors going on!
Gwynneth

Hi Gwynneth,

I’ve sent you a PM.

Thanks
Andrew

CupraPoopra

Mar 15, 2021
Just had the email. Car has been parked up for the past 6 hours. Anyone else come across this?

FEAFC75E-8084-4F1E-843F-3E19D8676A1B.jpeg

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
My car switched to anonymous user after being parked for a week. It sent similar email. When Infotainment switched on, I switched the user to myself with no issue.

Reactions: CupraPoopra
May 2, 2021
Just had the email. Car has been parked up for the past 6 hours. Anyone else come across this?

View attachment 24619

I’ve had that a couple of times, not had it since my “identity” has been verified from dealer and I logged in again to the Cupra app.
Tested the remote unlocking from phone and that works but not actually been in the car since to test anything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CupraPoopra
Apr 17, 2021
Thanks. Didn’t fancy going out in the rain last night to check it out
How is the rest of the car so far? I had those sensor issues as well on the golf before I returned it as I had enough of heading to the dealership.

However towards the end I started getting some more intense battery warnings hence the return.

If it was just sensors I would have perhaps put up with it as 99% of the time the errors went away the next time.

So for the Formentor...maybe I wil keep a log of then and when service time comes take it to a Cupra dealership and sort it al out in one go!!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
How is the rest of the car so far? I had those sensor issues as well on the golf before I returned it as I had enough of heading to the dealership.

However towards the end I started getting some more intense battery warnings hence the return.

If it was just sensors I would have perhaps put up with it as 99% of the time the errors went away the next time.

So for the Formentor...maybe I wil keep a log of then and when service time comes take it to a Cupra dealership and sort it al out in one go!!

So you are planning spending a load of your hard earned cash on a car that you are already expecting to have to keep a log of issues in?????

Had I known about these issues / potential issues I would be nowhere near this car.

Had I been through what you have already I’d be nowhere near any new VAG product!

Apr 17, 2021
So you are planning spending a load of your hard earned cash on a car that you are already expecting to have to keep a log of issues in?????

Had I known about these issues / potential issues I would be nowhere near this car.

Had I been through what you have already I’d be nowhere near any new VAG product!
You are correct and perhaps I should have gone elsewhere but my golf was one of the early ones and perhaps I was unlucky.

By the time my V2 arrives it will be September/October so I am hopeful.

The stakes are a little less this time as it's only a lease and we got 100% of our money back from VW plus a little bit extra so it worked out in the end.

Besides these issues are across VAG new models and I did love some of the systems the golf had.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Unsurprisingly, none of the fault codes reappeared after clearing them and the car is still consistently starting for the garage. The technician has taken it home yesterday to give it a bit of use, but I’m waiting to hear back from them today. My hope is that they just go ahead and replace this Body Control Module (gateway module) because it seems like the most logical culprit in the absence of better information.

I don’t want the vehicle back without any attempted remedial work!

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
SMC has got back to me, they have been unable to reproduce the fault today so no codes stored. Apparently that means they haven’t got a case to raise a warranty claim again SEAT because they have done as advised, and was I happy to pick the car up?

Answer was no, I have no confidence in the car - nothing has been fixed therefore the fault will almost certainly recur at some point, maybe leave me or my partner stranded somewhere less convenient than home or workplace next time! They are supportive and understand my concerns.

SMC encouraged me to contact SEAT customer services and hopefully get some leverage there, the issue also being that my hire car is due to expire Monday and they would have to approve an extension. I have now got a case reference with SEAT CS and they will assign a case manager who will gather info and be in touch with both myself and garage by Tuesday...

May 2, 2021
It’s always tricky for a garage to fix a fault that isn’t there. I have sympathy with both of you and you are quite right in voicing your concern because the law of sod dictates that it’ll conk out on the way home from the garage or shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 14, 2021
SMC has got back to me, they have been unable to reproduce the fault today so no codes stored. Apparently that means they haven’t got a case to raise a warranty claim again SEAT because they have done as advised, and was I happy to pick the car up?

Answer was no, I have no confidence in the car - nothing has been fixed therefore the fault will almost certainly recur at some point, maybe leave me or my partner stranded somewhere less convenient than home or workplace next time! They are supportive and understand my concerns.

SMC encouraged me to contact SEAT customer services and hopefully get some leverage there, the issue also being that my hire car is due to expire Monday and they would have to approve an extension. I have now got a case reference with SEAT CS and they will assign a case manager who will gather info and be in touch with both myself and garage by Tuesday...
So... it seems my car is fixed. Body control unit damage allegedly by 3rd party fix. Repaired. Updates to be applied over the next week...we’ll see..........

Reactions: roh33l
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members