FR 150 remap?

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
I know absolutely nothing about tuning cars so i have a question.

If i were to pay for a remap for my Leon 150bhp, would you not need to upgrade other engine parts as you're installing more power?

I've been thinking about it although not too seriously. I have also thought about a racing chip (plug and play) which of course is a cheaper option, however, would you not need to do the same with certain engine upgrades? clutch, gearbox etc?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I would expect a mild increase would not seriously trouble the stock components, there has to be a margin built in for safety/longevity.

Reactions: OJ9693

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Generally a software only remap (Stage 1) is software only and requires no change of hardware. As above, the stock components usually have quite a high safety margin built in.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Are you referring to a 2.0TDI 150 or a 1.4/1.5TSI 150? DSG or manual? For manuals I would say the gearbox should be fine. In most cases the 2.0TDI DSG 6 speed 'wet' box should be fine after remap, as they have higher torque tolerances, the 7 speed 'dry' box on the petrols, I'm not too sure as their limit is already near as stock. Most remaps would deem it safe to tune 150 to about 180ish PS. Would the components of the car be more stressed after a remap, of course, but I doubt they would fail right away, perhaps down the line they may need replacing quicker or ahead of time.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Are you referring to a 2.0TDI 150 or a 1.4/1.5TSI 150? DSG or manual? For manuals I would say the gearbox should be fine. In most cases the 2.0TDI DSG 6 speed 'wet' box should be fine after remap, as they have higher torque tolerances, the 7 speed 'dry' box on the petrols, I'm not too sure as their limit is already near as stock. Most remaps would deem it safe to tune 150 to about 180ish PS. Would the components of the car be more stressed after a remap, of course, but I doubt they would fail right away, perhaps down the line they may need replacing quicker or ahead of time.

I actually wasn't aware there was a diesel 150. I have the 1.4.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on this, that's what i thought the case would be too.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I actually wasn't aware there was a diesel 150. I have the 1.4.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on this, that's what i thought the case would be too.

Yea these days most are petrols, 1.0, 1.4/1.5 and 1.8/2.0. There were 1.6 (105/110)TDI as well as 2.0 (150/184) TDIs. I used to have a 2.0TDI 150 between 2014 and 2016. For me it was a quick, I always thought it was already remapped.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Yea these days most are petrols, 1.0, 1.4/1.5 and 1.8/2.0. There were 1.6 (105/110)TDI as well as 2.0 (150/184) TDIs. I used to have a 2.0TDI 150 between 2014 and 2016. For me it was a quick, I always thought it was already remapped.

When i took it for a test drive i was quite surprised myself at how quick it felt for a 1.4. Very nippy.

I know this is a very broad question but do you have nay idea how much a stage 1 remap would cost?

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
When i took it for a test drive i was quite surprised myself at how quick it felt for a 1.4. Very nippy.

I know this is a very broad question but do you have nay idea how much a stage 1 remap would cost?
Depends on the company.
A standard flash and go map can cost anywhere from £200 to £400.
A custom map will set you back at least £500
I know someone who had their 1.4 mapped by AvonTuning, said it was well worth the £210 he paid.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Depends on the company.
A standard flash and go map can cost anywhere from £200 to £400.
A custom map will set you back at least £500
I know someone who had their 1.4 mapped by AvonTuning, said it was well worth the £210 he paid.

Seems quite reasonable. Is there any disadvantages of having your car remapped?

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Seems quite reasonable. Is there any disadvantages of having your car remapped?
Extra strain on the engine, however most maps take this into account and keep it within the safe limits. If you go with a reputable company and don't rag the bollocks off it every drive you won't even notice any extra wear(Personal experience)
I've heard from a few people that mapping a 1.4 with a DSG box is a bad move, apparently it can't handle the extra torque too well.
You'll also need to inform your insurance company. When I mapped my old 1.7CDTI Civic I was 20 with 1 years no claims, the map gained an extra 35HP and only cost me an extra £60/year on insurance

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Extra strain on the engine, however most maps take this into account and keep it within the safe limits. If you go with a reputable company and don't rag the bollocks off it every drive you won't even notice any extra wear(Personal experience)
I've heard from a few people that mapping a 1.4 with a DSG box is a bad move, apparently it can't handle the extra torque too well.
You'll also need to inform your insurance company. When I mapped my old 1.7CDTI Civic I was 20 with 1 years no claims, the map gained an extra 35HP and only cost me an extra £60/year on insurance

That's not bad at all. Yeah I'd have to have a look and get a quote from my insurance before i think about who i'd go with.

I'm just outside of London but i've been told about VRS Northampton which is a place i know of from 'car people' i follow on youtube etc.

Cheers for your help :thumbup:

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I've had some quotes from various companies in East Sussex and most quoted £375 for a custom map. If you're near London AMD technik are a good reputable company near Blue Water in Essex if that's the right side of London for you. You mentioned Northampton, not that far away in Peterborough Jabba sport used to be very highly recommended, I got a new uprated clutch there once for my old ibiza 130 tdi sport. They were masters tuning the old 1.8t for the mk1 Leon cupra/cupra R.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
People get all excited about “custom” maps.

on a stock car you just need a generic map. Custom written maps are only beneficial once you add different turbo’s and decent mods.

for a stock car a generic map is what you require.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Same situation for me, not had my leon a year yet and still a few bits to do like alloys, splitter ect... then hopefully a remap. I previously had an ibiza FR 105 bhp and wanted a remap and ended up getting a new car haha, my current Leon1.4 150. live in sheffield and struggling to find someone local for the job, plenty of plug and play mobile mappers but reading too many horror stories about the plug and plays.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019

on a stock car you just need a generic map. Custom written maps are only beneficial once you add different turbo’s and decent mods.

I agree with you on that, i didn't look at it in that way but that makes a lot of sense.
Same situation for me, not had my leon a year yet and still a few bits to do like alloys, splitter ect... then hopefully a remap. I previously had an ibiza FR 105 bhp and wanted a remap and ended up getting a new car haha, my current Leon1.4 150. live in sheffield and struggling to find someone local for the job, plenty of plug and play mobile mappers but reading too many horror stories about the plug and plays.

Yeah i've heard good and bad so that's kind of putting me off them. Then again someone is bound to have bad experiences with products!
If i wasn't becoming a homeowner i'd just go for a generic one and see how it went but at the moment i have too much to pay for.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex

Generic maps are fine when using well known versions like Revo, Apr etc. I used custom code on my old ibiza and that was a nice map. The only problem is they don't take condition of the car into account. On a car like my current Leon that's only done 17k that will work fine for quite a while before needing a new clutch at some point but my old ibiza had about 55-60k on the clock and after a few days my clutch started slipping, so hence the trip to jabba sport mentioned above. A custom mapper should map the car within its current tolerances.
The thing is I have found generic maps are just as expensive or more. I think revo on our cars is around £500 and I can get custom maps for £375.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Well that makes things easy for me. My insurance said they won't insure me on my car if it had a stage 1 map installed.

Guess i'll wait until renewal date and look into it further then!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.