fr 170 superchips remap update

jonnyash

fr 170 tdi
Jun 6, 2007
north somerset
after having it done on friday overall very pleased in gear acceleration is unbelieveable! from 40 to 80 in forth is unreall :D. had a few niggles on saturday with it hesatating under acceleration have spoken to superchips who instantly asked could i take it up to their HQ and stick it on their rolling road to see what its doing! but have to say its settled down now, i went out for about 60 miles yesterday and it never missed a beat! just been out today for half an hour and still fine so have to see what friday brings on the RR.

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
^^ Same here, want to get it done too.. Keep us updated with regards DPF etc..

Also, if something goes wrong in the engine and Seat wont stand over the car, I understand superchips will? <-- Invalidating the Seat warranty is the only thing holding me back at the moment!

Acceleration in 4th gear is impressive already, i can imagine what its like with a remap..

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
it pulls like 3rd use to! superchips will work along side seat if anything goes wrong and if its there fault they'll fix it

I do wonder how easy this process would be though. I can imagine Seat noticing the map and then refusing to fix the car on the basis that the map has caused the fault - on the clutch for example, and then Superchips saying that I have to prove the map caused the damage and that the clutch is capable of the extra power and therefore it's a Seat issue.

By Superchips saying they have a warantee almosts admits that the map can cause damage to the car doesn't it?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
By Superchips saying they have a warantee almosts admits that the map can cause damage to the car doesn't it?

Using that train of thought any warranty is an admission their maybe a future fault?.........which in a way is true because latent defects can occur with any product and however much R&D has been done there can always be issues later.

The idea with Superchips Warranty as I understand it is that it will pick up pretty much any shortfall from the OEM warranty, so people chipping and remapping newer cars have peace of mind that they are still covered. SEAT would probably void the warranty on the ECU (because Superchips have tampered with it) but experience tells us SEAT are happy to still cover the rest of the vehicle....clutch and other internals included.

You wouldn;t expect a Superchips Chip to void the warranty on your SEAT paintwork for example...

lots of tuners are struggling to map the 170TDi unit without replacing the physical chip which would help disguise the fact the car is remapped / chipped full stop......i'm sure that will change in due course.

I have no first hand experience of Superchips on diesel engines but I hope it's better than the chip for the 1.8T Golf I had done back in 2002 / 2003......which compared to my experiences with Revo / Forge was poor

Last edited:

jonnyash

fr 170 tdi
Jun 6, 2007
north somerset
ruddmeister
superchips are the only one to be able to do the map through the obd thats why i went for them so realisticly theres no physical evidence of them remapping other than its faster and when they plug it in for fault diagnostics it'll come up with an update available for my car which richard said if that happends and they revert the car back to standard he would remap free of charge ,but would have to drive to swindon to his home which to me is no problem as im only 40 mins away.im not far from you if you fancied seeing how well it does go would be happy to show!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Apologies thought it was a physical chip still

Remap via the diagnostics port will be the norm i'm sure when the other tuners catch up.

jonnyash said:
......im not far from you if you fancied seeing how well it does go would be happy to show!....

There was talk of a mini-meet in the area sometime which would be cool.........i'll PM you if it comes off

erminio

Jul 26, 2006
I have also chipped my FR,170bhp TDI with a JD chip.
It should get my to 200bhp/420nm, and it is indeed much faster :rolleyes:

Haven't got it on the dyno yet, because i'am waiting for a full exhaust fitted without the DRF :whistle: When the axhaust is installed and the custom remap for it i will run a dyno :rolleyes:

The only thing a notice is on topspeed when the ambient temperature is reasonbly high ;)..., the last 5km/h on topspeed are going with a sort of jojo effect. I mean that it stop pulling..., start pulling again..., stop pulling, etc. We thing this is caused by the DRF getting to hot making the sensor restrict the boost pressure through the electronics, then it becames within the range, it pulls again, becomes to hot again, etc.

Hoppefully without the DRF this problem is gone :clap:

The problem with the cluch isn't only the amount of torque..., it's also the way the torque comes in. If it comes in with a bang then you could have problems with youre cluch and drivetrain., but when it comes in more gently (is possible with a good remap) then everything will be ok :rolleyes:

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
so the superchips remap is thru the OBD port? can they do a bluefin version yet? I prefer switchable to permanent as i can revert back to OEM for servicing/warranty work etc.

redrobo150

Jul 24, 2006
ilson
ruddmeister
superchips are the only one to be able to do the map through the obd thats why i went for them so realisticly theres no physical evidence of them remapping other than its faster and when they plug it in for fault diagnostics it'll come up with an update available for my car which richard said if that happends and they revert the car back to standard he would remap free of charge ,but would have to drive to swindon to his home which to me is no problem as im only 40 mins away.im not far from you if you fancied seeing how well it does go would be happy to show!

had my fr tdi chipped by chip tunning ,using the rica chip for over 5months now done 6000 miles with no problem no miss fires or any other gremlins

200 bhp at the fly wheel was achieved and 419 torque on the free r/r
they also will return to factory set up if any thing goes wrong and repair

very in pressed indeed with results

jonnyash

fr 170 tdi
Jun 6, 2007
north somerset
bit of an update!
took the car to superchips and found out what was wrong my car had a differant sofeware on it to their seat leon they run the car on the dyno and was dropping boost at around 3800 revs so only acheiving 199 bhp but a massive increase upto that point . have left the car with them to sort and they very kindly gave me there golf edition 30 gti remapped to 307 bhp which is awsome this is really the only word to describe it so not too bothered playing in that untill mine is sorted which should be mondayevening

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
bit of an update!
took the car to superchips and found out what was wrong my car had a differant sofeware on it to their seat leon they run the car on the dyno and was dropping boost at around 3800 revs so only acheiving 199 bhp but a massive increase upto that point . have left the car with them to sort and they very kindly gave me there golf edition 30 gti remapped to 307 bhp which is awsome this is really the only word to describe it so not too bothered playing in that untill mine is sorted which should be mondayevening

WOW awesome, lol, id nearly leave my car in if I thought they were lending me that for a few days.. result! :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise