FR 184 or Focus ST3 TDCI

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
HI,
I'm just starting to look for a new motor (company lease), currently have the MK2 FR+180 which has been a cracking car.

I've read the reviews on the new MK3 and looks like a much more of an improvement on the previous model,

If got the opportunity of either the FR 184 tech pack or Focus ST3 TDCi, I've yet to test drive either , but wondering if anyone has experience of driving the ST3 and and how does it compare with the FR ? i'm guessing people maybe slightly biased to the FR:)

ta
stevo

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
Drove the petrol ST3 prior to buying my Cupra. The dash is not nice, feels 'immature' with buttons & dials everywhere. Leon is a much much nicer place to sit. No auto option at the time either.

Mcleodbz

Feb 16, 2016
Ayrshire
I traded in a Focus ST3 TDCI hatch for my FR 184 DSG ST, so can comment on both.

I needed a bit of extra space and fancied an auto as often get stuck in traffic.

Still miss the Focus though. It felt a bit more special than the FR, and has a bit more presence.

Performance is similar with the Leon probably being slightly quicker due to it being lighter. I'd say the Focus probably handles better. It's quite a bit firmer.

The one thing I hated about the Focus was the turning circle which made parking difficult. Everytime you need to do a 3 point turn its actually a 5 point turn!

Interior quality is similar, although the ST's electric leather recaro are much nicer, even compared to my FR's alcantara seats. If you are big you could struggle with them though!

The Leon's infotainment system is more user friendly even if the Focus 8" screen looks better, and SEAT sound upgrade is miles better than Ford premium audio.

Overall I'm happy with the Leon, however just wish it felt a little more special - maybe I should have gone for a cupra!

I notice that Ford now do an auto version so I could be tempted by an auto Focus ST Estate next time.

Worth a test drive in both to see what you prefer.

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Drove the petrol ST3 prior to buying my Cupra. The dash is not nice, feels 'immature' with buttons & dials everywhere. Leon is a much much nicer place to sit. No auto option at the time either.

That must have been a mk4 Focus, with the silly Sony head unit with buttons all over the place.

The dash in the latest mk5 (64 plate onwards) has been redesigned to make it simpler and it also introduces a touch screen system as well.

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
thanks for the info, i agree re the Focus has more of a presence. now need to line up the test drives and yes is the latest ST TDCI I am comparing with
ta

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members