My rough 2014 FR 184 need advice please

Deanosabby

Dec 1, 2022
Hi forum,
Bought a rough 2014 FR 184 for cutting around in and to keep the miles of the GLC. I bought it with my eyes wide open knowing it was cheap and that it has issues. The main 2 are the intercooler water pump is not working and the AC compressor is not engaging.
the AC system has gas as I have just filled it but the clutch won’t energise.
Is it time for a new compressor and a new water pump?
Ta,
Deano.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Hi forum,
Bought a rough 2014 FR 184 for cutting around in and to keep the miles of the GLC. I bought it with my eyes wide open knowing it was cheap and that it has issues. The main 2 are the intercooler water pump is not working and the AC compressor is not engaging.
the AC system has gas as I have just filled it but the clutch won’t energise.
Is it time for a new compressor and a new water pump?
Ta,
Deano.
Do you mean the main water pump or the electric water pump for cool down.
First thing get air con checked for leaks, why fill it before testing it?.
Then use vcds to see if the air con is getting activated, if not. Check voltage signals at air con compressor and go from there.

Reactions: Deanosabby

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Our AC compressors aren't clutched - they are variable displacement; which varies based on demand. A new compressor would be last on my list to change. There are some sensors which are cheaper. My Audi had a failed AC (pressure or temp I forget which) sensor which inhibited the compressor from working.

Intercooler pump I would have thought is simple/cheap enough the try changing - what are the symptoms? could it be just air/blockage?

Reactions: adam davies

Deanosabby

Dec 1, 2022
Do you mean the main water pump or the electric water pump for cool down.
First thing get air con checked for leaks, why fill it before testing it?.
Then use vcds to see if the air con is getting activated, if not. Check voltage signals at air con compressor and go from there.
I mean the electric pump that is something to do with the inter cooler. The AC is no longer showing a low pressure fault and was showing that is was being used by the eco monitor on the dash.
The system is holding pressure with the engine running a the gauge fitted so fingers crossed there is no leaks. Difficult to tell if the AC is actually on as it is 3 degrees outside.

Reactions: adam davies

Deanosabby

Dec 1, 2022
Our AC compressors aren't clutched - they are variable displacement; which varies based on demand. A new compressor would be last on my list to change. There are some sensors which are cheaper. My Audi had a failed AC (pressure or temp I forget which) sensor which inhibited the compressor from working.

Intercooler pump I would have thought is simple/cheap enough the try changing - what are the symptoms? could it be just air/blockage?
I only assumed it wasn’t working as I couldn’t see or hear a clutch engage like on the older systems. The pulley is spinning ok and the fault is no longer showing on VCDS. Do you know where the pump is located? New to this car and engine so no idea where it would be.
Ta,
Deano.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I only assumed it wasn’t working as I couldn’t see or hear a clutch engage like on the older systems. The pulley is spinning ok and the fault is no longer showing on VCDS. Do you know where the pump is located? New to this car and engine so no idea where it would be.
Ta,
Deano.
AC compressor is down on the left at the front of the engine (as you look at the engine bay with an open bonnet).
Yes you won't hear anything clicking on like the clutched type compressors - my misses Colt has one of these types and very obvious when the AC activates.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise