FR Brakes??

zenyck100

Guys, I picked up my 56 plate ibiza FR last week and i got a question about the brakes. mine seem a little spongey. i have had lots of performance cars with big brakes and maybe im expecting too much from my little FR. so far i am impressed with my little machine, nice to drive, light and nimble and awsome fuel consumption

oh yea, i know ibizas get alot of road noise but my front tyres seem to making an excessive amount of noise. they are bridgestone tyres and im thinking to getting them checked this week to see if htey are out of shape or summit. anybody else with similar problems?

cheers

Zen

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Guys, I picked up my 56 plate ibiza FR last week and i got a question about the brakes. mine seem a little spongey. i have had lots of performance cars with big brakes and maybe im expecting too much from my little FR. so far i am impressed with my little machine, nice to drive, light and nimble and awsome fuel consumption

oh yea, i know ibizas get alot of road noise but my front tyres seem to making an excessive amount of noise. they are bridgestone tyres and im thinking to getting them checked this week to see if htey are out of shape or summit. anybody else with similar problems?

cheers

Zen

My first check would be when the brake fluid was last changed. But in any case, get the fluid changed for DOT5.1 fluid and have it properly bled.

If your going to press on with your driving - it might be worth swapping out the front brakes for the Audi TT 312mm set up - vast improvement on OEM.

Ibiza's are all noisy on the road unless you go daft with soundproofing - some tyres are better than others.

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
As above, mine always seemed a bit pants, then I swapped the fluid for DOT5.1, much better. Think it's DOT4 as standard. Audi TT 312mm's are a popular upgrade as said above, I had already shelled out for Black Diamond combi discs and Red Stuff pads all around and TBH these work really well as well with the new fluid..

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
The standard FR brakes are only just about up to the job at the best of times. Something i will be looking to upgrade when funds allow.

As above they do suffer from road noise oh and rattle a lot inside, but hey they go well and 45-50 mpg :D

zenyck100

as long as i know theres not a fault with the brakes. i will upgrade in the future but not quite yet as the car cost me enough...lol

on another note i popped into my local tyre garage and had the front tyres checked. both need balancing and were worn more in the centre of the tyre. i can only assume that whoeva had car previous may have been running with too much pressure in the tyres.

cheers guys

Jun 21, 2008
Wolverhampton
ive got DOT5.1 fluid in mine now and seem lots better. i think the brakes could be capable with the right upgrades as Chino has said/done.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
how much brake fluid does the system take???

I THINK it's about a litre in total.

When i did mine i used 1.5 ltr to make sure i had clean fluid all the way through.

If you shop around you will find DOT5.1 for about £2.60 per 500ml ( Get four bottles to be safe ) - £10.40 is peanuts for the peace of mind.