FR not getting up to temperature

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Thanks, yes good points - I did notice following posting this there are two versions of thermostat and my part catalogue with VIN lookup usually lists exactly the correct part but it still offered two versions JOOP 04L121113C or GEIGER 04L121113D - looking at my engine the housing I can see is the one linked to the more unusual plastic thermostat design you posted a pic of which is the JOOP version 1.
Mine is the twist to remove version 1 vs the unbolt to remove version 2.
Remove air filter housing,
Drop out coolant (which will already be done)
Remove rad cowl,
Remove couple of bolts from air pipe,
Release catch and turn coupling to remove stat - which seems simple enough! (famous last words!)
View attachment 19179
I agree removing the entire housing would be much more involved - but kinda pointless if you are just replacing the stat.
I thought while I had the coolant dropped out I would change the stat as a precaution/preventative maintenance, my Audi 1.9 stat failed around 100k and with the OP stat failing at 44k for a £20 part I will have a go. Also with you're previous comments about finding silicates in the thermostat it will help me to flush it out more thoroughly.

Totally agree with all of that.

If you're changing just the thermostat, it should be a far simpler process. I only had the housing done as well due to reports of them cracking/leaking. That is a far more involved job. With hindsight, I would have just done the t/stat.

Ref the t/stat - I think mine was the JOOP but can't be sure. I actually have the old housing somewhere and will try and have a look. I know TPS told my guy the `usual` one is option A and sent him that. It turned out he needed option B and that was out of stock.

Hope you get it all sorted. If I find my housing I'll post up the details.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Totally agree with all of that.

If you're changing just the thermostat, it should be a far simpler process. I only had the housing done as well due to reports of them cracking/leaking. That is a far more involved job. With hindsight, I would have just done the t/stat.

Ref the t/stat - I think mine was the JOOP but can't be sure. I actually have the old housing somewhere and will try and have a look. I know TPS told my guy the `usual` one is option A and sent him that. It turned out he needed option B and that was out of stock.

Hope you get it all sorted. If I find my housing I'll post up the details.
I just phones my local Listers VW to get a price and neither the stat or o-ring were stock items so that tells me that the JOOP version I have is the 'less' popular one!
Unless the dealers are changing the whole housing - for much more garage time and more money!

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I just phones my local Listers VW to get a price and neither the stat or o-ring were stock items so that tells me that the JOOP version I have is the 'less' popular one!
Unless the dealers are changing the whole housing - for much more garage time and more money!

Right - these are pics of the codes on my old housing.

04L.121.111 is the housing that the thermostat sits in. There appears to be no specific version number.

I can see the t/stat and it does indeed look like this:

1603109054883.png

Looking at the t/stat, there is an amount of debris (sand, silica gel leftovers, general crud?) in there. Tried to take a photo but hard to show properly.

DSC_0005_12 (2).JPG
DSC_0006_13 (2).JPG

The housing comes in 2 parts and these are pics of both bits codes:

DSC_0001 (2).JPG
DSC_0002 (2).JPG

As long as your housing is good, there is no reason to go through the pain of changing it.

Hopefully the t/stat change will be fairly straight forward.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: SuperV8
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise