FR TDi DPF Acceleration dips

bobbyanderson@h

Hi everyone, new to the forums, I had a search around before posting with regards to my problem - I saw a few similar topics but they all seemed to have different conclusions.

Just to introduce the car a little, I have a 57 Leon FR 170PS TDi DPF, I got it with delivery mileage (25 miles) and now its sitting around 11.5k, the car hasn't been modified at all and I've never had any problems with it at all until a couple of weeks ago, I was driving into a National Speed Limit area and was sitting at about 1500 rpm before accelerating quickly up to 3000 rpm when I noticed the acceleration either dipped/stopped, I changed gears and it was fine afterwards, its happened a total of 3 times in the past few weeks twice in 3rd and once in 4th.

I had a look under the bonnet and noticed that the engine cover was loose, the dipstick was out and clips were broken on the cover - I've read on here its ok to remove the engine cover and continue to drive as normal? Is this what is also causing the cuts in acceleration or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The loose engine cover shouldn't cause any engine running problems although it may have vibrated on the dip stick and caused it to ride up.

I reckon your glitch was to do with the DPF doing it's regeneration thing.

The DPF regen can cause strange glitches for those that are super sensitive. the tell tale sign is the higher idol at traffic lights (1000rpm) I think.

Another thought is that maybe you had the traction control cut in for a moment and didn't notice the orange light blink on the dash.

BTW, just my opinion but 1500 rpm is too low to be flooring it, this is the sort of driving that can clog up your DPF and/or put extra strain on your clutch.

Last edited:

pacm0n

Dec 15, 2008
DERBYSHIRE
BTW, just my opinion but 1500 rpm is too low to be flooring it, this is the sort of driving that can clog up your DPF and/or put extra strain on your clutch.

Doesn't the peak tourqe start around 1500 rpm? I'm always flooring mine from that in 3rd or 4th gear :D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The peak torque is more like 1800 rpm I think.

Peak torque means peak strain on the clutch

I s'pose it's OK for a second or 2 but some people are thick enough to drive at like 1200 rpm for ages cos they think they are saving the planet.

pacm0n

Dec 15, 2008
DERBYSHIRE
LOL, 1200 rpm? that’s ridiculous! I always stick around 1500 to 2000 rpm. I suppose i'm lucky as its a company car so don’t really have to worry about wear and tear to the clutch!

1200 rpm? the engine would be labouring massively wouldn’t it? It cant be fun to drive at that engine speed!

bobbyanderson@h

The loose engine cover shouldn't cause any engine running problems although it may have vibrated on the dip stick and caused it to ride up.

I reckon your glitch was to do with the DPF doing it's regeneration thing.

The DPF regen can cause strange glitches for those that are super sensitive. the tell tale sign is the higher idol at traffic lights (1000rpm) I think.

Another thought is that maybe you had the traction control cut in for a moment and didn't notice the orange light blink on the dash.

Hi thanks for the reply, I had a look at my idol rpm when sitting at traffic lights on the way home last night and back into work today, it was sitting around the 750rpm mark.

Its definitely not the traction control, I've had traction control kick in before and this didn't feel like traction control, that and there was no orange light on the dash, could it be a turbo problem?

Thanks

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Now this has happened to me, but mine feels more like hesitation, there has been a post on this. If I'm crawling in traffic from work, in 1st gear at about 1200rpm and hold my foot in the same place, the car jerks about like I'm pressing and releasing the throttle quickly? Basicly kangorooing (if that's spelt right?) the car? Any ideas guys?

Danny.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
There have been a few discussions on the misfire. I have put it down to this,
As all diesels when you potter around they get a bit clogged up, when you floor them thats when the black soot escapes. As you will have noticed following any diesel car.
On excess soot the dpf struggles to collect so much and causes it to sort of overload and glitch a bit till it gets control.
In a sort of roundabout way anyhow:think: It seems s though this is more likely as it gets closer to its regeneration period. Also if you are remapped, then more soot will be being created so more chance of a glitch,
Well I reckon any how:think:

si289

Now this has happened to me, but mine feels more like hesitation, there has been a post on this. If I'm crawling in traffic from work, in 1st gear at about 1200rpm and hold my foot in the same place, the car jerks about like I'm pressing and releasing the throttle quickly? Basicly kangorooing (if that's spelt right?) the car? Any ideas guys?

Danny.

I have this exact same problem. I need to do some more looking into it I think. Could be a boost leak?

belfastchris45

Apr 8, 2009
belfast

Danny.

To put some more confusion i have the same issue with DPF off. 1st or 2nd when crawling in traffic etc. 1200- 1400 rpm. Foot on pedal at same level at it jumps all over the place. Floor it or drive about 2000rpm its fine. Is this a maf fault.

chris

belfastchris45

Apr 8, 2009
belfast
Mine is under warranty. But with DPF and exhaust etc, there are so many excusses they can make. So if someone else finds the issue at lest I can tell them exactly what the issue is.

mickeychr

DPF Regeneration

Hi

I had the same problem. The DPF light came on the dash but after a long journey it turned off again.

As the soot builds up the DPF basically burns it but the exhaust system needs to be hot enough to do this. Longer journies and higher revs are ideal for this but too many short journies dont get the exhaust hot enough and therefore doesn't burn enough soot, resulting in a clog.

When the DPF is renerating your revs will increase by around 250, so idle at 750 will go to 1000. If you're driving when this takes place it will effect the performance for a second (really feels like a missfire or as if diesel isn't getting through). It isn't a problem at all but if you take it to your dealer they will claim a manual regeneration is required and charge you between £200 and £280..... and it wont be covered by warranty.....but it is a needless repair unless the warning light comes on and stays on.

Hope this helps
Michael

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Yeah, I have still have the same problem. MAF was replaced 2 months ago so it's not that, 99% sure. As mine has only done it from work i.e when they car is cold, maybe it's a problem with the fuel temp sensor? I can't actually have my foot on the pedal in 1st so I let it drive at tick-over in traffic. I really want to get this sorted and if they try to fob me off, I'm going to demand it be looked at properly. I may go to Volkswagen as they did my last service as SEAT wanted £220 which Volkswagen only charged with £140 with a courtesy car. It's basically a Golf GT TDI. But once again, I'm sure it's not the MAF sensor. One question for you guys out there though. Does anyone know if the car tries to regen from cold? If so it's gonna use a lot of fuel and resources to do so as the exhaust will be stone cold. I dread to think what it's gonna be like in the winter.

Danny.

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
Im pretty sure u will get most cars to do this at very very low revs. All 3 of my previous cars have done this including my 58 leon fr from new.

belfastchris45

Apr 8, 2009
belfast
Im pretty sure u will get most cars to do this at very very low revs. All 3 of my previous cars have done this including my 58 leon fr from new.

I got to disagree mate. I have had mine from new and still only 3k miles on it. Never done it from new. Its definitly a recent thing. The car is a complete b1tch in 1st & 2nd at low revs. Just means keeping it planted all the time

chris

bobbyanderson@h

Turns out this was a turbo problem, the idiots that I put it in with the last service put too much oil in and flooded the bloody thing, turbo got replaced on the warranty.

Why are people in jobs that they are blatantly not good enough to be in? Took about a week to get the turbo replaced, the same idiots put the engine back in at a different angle, cracking the engine cover as they basically forced it back on top of the engine, think its effecting my fuel economy now as its drinking fuel for fun, engine problem or leak?