FR TDI Fuel Consumption

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Morning all and Happy New Year!

Just wondering what sort of MPG I can expect out of the FR TDI? The dealer said even if drivn hard I would get 40mpg..........

In the sticky about the DPF probs I noticed a comment about the high fuel consumption, hence the query.

Thanks
Virgil

willias400

Morning,

Happy New Year to you all.

I've covered about 17k and I can't seem to get over 50mpg but then I am reasonably heavy on my right foot. I get roughly 47mpg on a motorway run but that's not at 70mph! It doesn't drop much around town though which is nice. It's always over 40mpg, better than a BMW 320d I had which struggled to get up to 40mpg - ever! I had a Vectra 3.0 V6 TDi which did better!

I HAVE had the DPF light- lots! (see thread).

Laters.

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Cheers,

thought there would be loads of threads on this, but 40+mpg is fantastic, which will mean that my 11p per mile from work will cover the fuel....

Hopefully I will not see the dreaded dpf light!

Stuart83

Jan 2, 2007
Tamworth, Midlands
The dealer said even if drivn hard I would get 40mpg..........

LOL - I drove it hard 20 miles to work the other day and got 26mpg :)

In all honesty though - if you drive it normally, booting it every so often, 40mpg + is easily do-able.... I usually get 40-45 when driving like that (after 12k miles).

If you drive it with a very light right foot and stay below 70 it's v.easy to get 50+ mpg - I can do this on a daily basis, but it's just so boring :)

the old man

Jun 20, 2007
fuel consumption varies greatly
country lanes and A roads to work I average 38 mpg
motorway the other week 80 mile journey got 52 mpg (busy M6 so limited to 60-70 mph)
driven hard on short runs over Christmas I averaged 34 mpg

However I have previously had other Diesels and they also gave me nowhere near the claimed mpg, BMW 320D 150bhp gave me very close to the same as the Leon.

However if you want a giggle look at the Alfa Romeo forums where they are complaining that the 159 1.9 JTD is only giving 30 mpg

Drive it like a grandad and you can get impressive results, drive it like your meant to and enjoy it..

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
I intend to drive it and enjoy it to be honest, it is just nice to have the option of economy if wanted! Although if I can do a daily drive with some fun along the way and get around 40mpg I will be well chuffed!

Thought about the TFSI FR but decided the TDI for the sake of 30bhp was more sensible..........oh roll on early feb!

Bainie

Oct 22, 2007
I have got 36mpg since buying it, 2k miles on it now, don`t drive like miss daisy though *lol* It is maybe not ultra impressive for a diesel, but coming from a 2.8 Vec VXR which struggled to get 20 it is amazing !!!

(No dpf light for me either ............................................................................. yet )

Crazyhazy

17 and a half k now and average about 38mpg - even on a long sensible run up the M6 I just about got 42ish. No two cars are the same though, lots of people on here get a lot more mpg, some who have had them on the rolling road have had quite a difference in the actual power, I like to think that my mpg is crap because its one of the quicker ones not the more economical -
I tell myself that twice a week at the pump :)

DPF light appeared just once while I was working away and the missus was driving it, she took it on the motorway - it went off and its not been back since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Only had my FR a couple of weeks but done 3 trips (1,300 miles) to London & back from Taunton on the A303/A3/M3/M25 first trip i got 43mpg but now im a bit more used to the car the last trip back (yesterday) i got 47.4mpg. I dont drive like a complete grandad either, cant help putting my foot down in 3rd away from all the roundabouts on the 303, makes me smile like a looney everytime..... on the last (47.4) trip my average from start to finish was 60mph not bad when you consider the amount of speed cameras and slow one lane parts of the 303... anyway a vast improvement on the car i traded in, a Mazda6 2.3 petrol that i only ever managed to get above 30mpg once and im sure that was straight after a service!!!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Morning all and Happy New Year!

Just wondering what sort of MPG I can expect out of the FR TDI? The dealer said even if drivn hard I would get 40mpg..........

In the sticky about the DPF probs I noticed a comment about the high fuel consumption, hence the query.

Thanks
Virgil
Mines normally 38/40mpg but it is possible to get 50 if stuck at 60mph - and this is chipped. .................... rember give has little as possible to G Brown and Co.!!!

Simon_Peters

2008 Leon Fr TFSI & 01 R6
Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
So far the best I have managed to get is 36-38 on the motorway even at 70mph. I now have 4k on the clock and have seen the lovely dpf light many times!

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Interestingly since fitting the snow tyres my MPG has increased, the tyres have a slighly smaller circumference which would account for a small change but this is only 2.5% and am getting improvements of around 10% - got just over 50 yesterday on a 60 mile round trip!!

Chris

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
Interestingly since fitting the snow tyres my MPG has increased, the tyres have a slighly smaller circumference which would account for a small change but this is only 2.5% and am getting improvements of around 10% - got just over 50 yesterday on a 60 mile round trip!!

Chris

Have you changed the setting on the MFD to snow tyres ??

On trip setting #2 my average is 41.01mpg, thats the closest way to get the overall mpg IMO.

Normal runs to work can be anything from high 30's :( to high 40's:), fuel light tends to come on at around 460miles

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Have you changed the setting on the MFD to snow tyres ??

On trip setting #2 my average is 41.01mpg, thats the closest way to get the overall mpg IMO.

Normal runs to work can be anything from high 30's :( to high 40's:), fuel light tends to come on at around 460miles

Only thing I found on the MFD was for Snow Tyres was adding a speed warning due to the lower speed rating - I'll have another look though if you think theres something else.

My average #2 was on 43 on the 18's but is 45 and rapidly increasing..

For a comparison I used to get 43mpg on the same journey to work in my Revod PD150 Golf, and 28 in my MkV Gti.. And Ive never been known to "hang about" lol

Chris

dabcabc

Bah i only tend to get about 390 miles before the light bongs on :(

Must lighten my foot....

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Wow, I'd cry if I got less than 400 from a tank.
These cold mornings in December have taken their toll on my economy... down about 6mpg from normal...

Still, I don't really mind.

Graham123

May 13, 2007
Mine has about 2.5K on clock now and the vast majority of my driving is stop start town stuff too and from work. Has been averaging about 35. Went for a steady trip yesterday and got into the mid 40's. It's thirst is a bit frustrating at times but then some boy racing scally tries to have a go and I remember where my economy went.......

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members