FR Useless reversing light

hc25036

Mar 13, 2015
Mystery solved - and Kiddo, that is the bulb.

I rather assumed that the reversing light was on the driver's side and didn't bother checking.... Having opened up the near side, the correct bulb was revealed in all its underpowered glory and was swiftly replaced.

The one of the offside had me worried for a while as nothing seemed to make it light up, until that is I turned on the fog lights. Surely that little bulb can't be the fog light you may ask! It is, and in daylight seemed a good deal less bright than the LED rear lights. Maybe I should look into replacing the fog lights as well, although the front ones look like they could be a bit of a mission for those who might not be able to find the reversing light!

Thanks for all the help.

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
08038f103aeac0c081f201566d175840.jpg

My turn to try fitting this now! Will post pictures afterwards when it's dark.

And just a heads up for those looking to change the foot well lights, if you have the LED interior pack already, the foot well bulb is not a standard 501! The factory LED fitment is a weird one I've not seen before, so you can't just replace them with red 501 'wedge' LEDs :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Quick update on the footwells... Cost including shipment to UK form US for factory fit leds is approx $55. Other option is to purchase new footwell housings approx £30 plus bulbs and effort to *******ise for leds. Not a hard job from what I've read but a bit of a faf.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Quick update on the footwells... Cost including shipment to UK form US for factory fit leds is approx $55. Other option is to purchase new footwell housings approx £30 plus bulbs and effort to *******ise for leds. Not a hard job from what I've read but a bit of a faf.

I know you'll pi55 yourself at this but... someone else used a certain chocolate sweet wrapper to alter the colour of the LED's . Honestly!

Winder123

Aug 10, 2015
North West
I can happily admit that was me! The bright idea came after a few too many Christmas booze and leftover sweets, safe to say I've now upgraded and actually got some LEDs

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
I bought the one that Veno posted back at the start of the thread: (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/382-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-P21W-Canbus-Bayonet-Bulb.html)

Dead easy installation, no tools needed, you slide back the small cover in the boot that's behind the light cluster, then the bulb holder is visible, it just pulls out (by pushing two tabs apart) and then you just unplug the bulb and slot the new one in. Takes 3 seconds, bobs your uncle and Charlie's your aunt :)

No errors at all, nice and bright, and really smartens up the back of the car with the white light.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Thought I'd order one of these to avoid running over next door's cat when I back out of the garage, but found they are out of stock of white ones! Guess you guys have cleared them out!

I was wondering how long it would take lol. That must be wondering what's going on lol

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
I bought the one that Veno posted back at the start of the thread: (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/382-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-P21W-Canbus-Bayonet-Bulb.html)

Dead easy installation, no tools needed, you slide back the small cover in the boot that's behind the light cluster, then the bulb holder is visible, it just pulls out (by pushing two tabs apart) and then you just unplug the bulb and slot the new one in. Takes 3 seconds, bobs your uncle and Charlie's your aunt :)

No errors at all, nice and bright, and really smartens up the back of the car with the white light.

Deleted

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
These do seem to affect the Dab signal though so it's not all sunshine and rainbows
Given how shocking my dab signal strength is that wouldn't be a big issue. I can't seem to get any stations anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I'm confused (again!). Bought this one (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/382-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-P21W-Canbus-Bayonet-Bulb.html) which is the one recommended on page 1 and it's nothing like the bulb installed in my 2015 FR hatchback with the LED pack. The installed bulb looks more like the bulbs that used to inhabit Christmas tree lights before LEDs!

IMG_0569_zpshh8nasck.jpg

That is about a quarter of the size of the one I bought....

Can anyone identify the correct LED bulb for me (If there is one)?

The good news - anyone want the Autobulbsdirect bulb for a tenner including delivery?

Rick

That looks like a halogen bulb to me!

I bought this one for my reverse light, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-30W-1...170593?hash=item2365b44de1:g:B8sAAOSwLpdW9weq

hc25036

Mar 13, 2015
it is. Think it's a 21w 435 fitting. Used as a fog light in a lot of VAG vehicles now. Do not know if an equivalent LED exists.

Spot on and I've not been able to find an LED equivalent so far. There is a brighter 'xenon like' one around, but I won't bother as I use the fogs for about 20 minutes a year!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.