FR vs CUPRA detailing differences

zidane

Tin hat on here but I'm afraid I think the styling of the Cupra is weak. I've compared photo's of the Cupra and FR and the differences are minor at most.

They appear to have the same basic front/rear bumpers design, which I think is very very poor indeed.

So differences appear to be the alloys, black vs silver wing mirrors (big deal) and a Cupra badge on boot.

Personally I think this is rubbish. If I'm buying the Cupra I would expect it be obviously different to the FR, in a similar way to the Golf R32 having a different nose to the GTI.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
After a quick think - i have the following listed
  • Front spoiler painted black at the bottom centre part
  • Bi-Xenon headlights
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Lower ride hight
  • Different suspension
  • HUGE Brakes
  • Black wing mirror covers
  • rear exhaust
  • Cupra Logos
  • Front drivers / passengers chair
  • Black Interior roof lining
  • Better Engine power (240Bhp)

Feel free to add others that I've missed

zidane

I'm talking about styling differences. And despite the Cupra having a different bumper, you would be very hard pushed to spot it.

I have an old shape Cupra which looks miles different to the Cupra R.

I would expect that much difference for that much extra coin.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I love this argument, i simply say this.

Why is that a bad thing? The FR is a great looking car, I ordered my Cupra on the premise it looked as it does, much the same as the FR.

But its everything else with it, that the FR doesn't have, is what makes it a little bit more special.

And low key is what I want, like ive said umpteen times before in several threads, if it stops some idiot looking at it with the idea of knocking my front door down and stealing my keys, then i prefer a low key look.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I think if you saw a Cupra on the road, you might not instantly know it's a Cupra (badging aside) but if you saw a Cupra and an FR - or any other Leon for that matter - next to each other, you'd instantly spot which is which.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I would expect that much difference for that much extra coin.

Its not that much more, if you added the options to an FR, 18" wheel, Xenons AFS etc you'd not be far off the basic price.

Minus the 240bhp engine, improved aluminium running gear, bigger brakes and the sportier seats.

ste-lfc

Jul 7, 2005
cheshire
hmm i think its REASURINGLY UNDERSTATED.also i'd say the differences have been made were it matters and not were the eye can see

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
I love this argument, i simply say this.

Why is that a bad thing? The FR is a great looking car, I ordered my Cupra on the premise it looked as it does, much the same as the FR.

But its everything else with it, that the FR doesn't have, is what makes it a little bit more special.

And low key is what I want, like ive said umpteen times before in several threads, if it stops some idiot looking at it with the idea of knocking my front door down and stealing my keys, then i prefer a low key look.

I agree what's wrong with the Cupra looking slightly different to the already great looking FR. People that 'know' will quite easily spot the difference but why spoil the cloak and dagger looks with something too tarty (like Vauxhall and Ford manage to a greater and lesser extent). My 5p worth :D

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
I'll add I think Seat have it right, understated to me gives more an impression that it's on mission and capable of going it.
Whilst bells and whistles give me the impression that it (the other suspects) would like to go on the mission but might need helicopter rescue half way around :lol:

If you get my drift :D

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I think many manufacturers are moving away from the souped up vastly different look. For various reasons - be it cost savings, insurance driven etc.

Personally I can't say the Focus ST looks vastly different from its next model down, or the civic R's for that matter.

As Z says - what's the big deal. They are both good looking cars. Seat this time round have lots of accessories and body kit parts for people to personalise as they wish and that applies to any model in the range.

Ask any person not from here to spot the differences with the MK1 FR and the R and I'm sure many would get confused.

Personally I think Seat are catering for a more mature audience with tasteful good looks that aren't over the top. I don't particularly want to drive around with my wife and son looking like a set of chavs.

Scott

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
The cupra does look great in the flesh though i can understand why some people would like it too look a little more different to the fr.
I personaly would have liked the side skirts and aero rear spoiler or similar fitted as standard but they are quite cheep options so not realy a problem.
the only other thing was with the seats they look great but didnt find them that comfortable no lumbar adjustment.

leonGR

ProDriver
Dec 7, 2006
Athens, Greece
The Cupra with two items will look very different from the FR. JE Side skirts and rear top spoiler. Just with these two items the car looks very different and vastly better. I have these two options and it is great. The car also looks lowered since the side skirts fills in some space that the stock Cupra projected.

-JAMI3-

Agree the styling is slightly dissapointing, it doesnt say CUPRA like the MK1 does! However, SEAT will be releasing ltd edt MK2 CUPRA's with kits next year, so if your unsure, just wait. The Cupras will have better options available then too!

We had to fit the Aero skirts and spoiler to our demo to make it 'stand out' from the FR!

mliley01

Nov 26, 2006
Solihull
Personally I think Seat are catering for a more mature audience with tasteful good looks that aren't over the top. I don't particularly want to drive around with my wife and son looking like a set of chavs.

I couldnt agree more! SEAT had got a bit of a reputation with younger drivers as cheap 2nd hand cars that could be 'altered' (chav'd or max'd etc etc) to make them look like they were straight out of The Fast And The Furious!!!

I like the understated look, partly why I got the car.. it doesnt shout 'Race me' to anyone and everyone, but there is plenty there if you want to play!

Sorry... just my opinion!! <ducks to avoid abuse!!> :shrug:

cuprarstu

Jan 8, 2006
Hertfordshire
[We had to fit the Aero skirts and spoiler to our demo to make it 'stand out' from the FR![/QUOTE]

Hi, any picture of this available - I have seen pics with side skirts, but not with rear spolier as well. Thanks.

StevieGnR

When I made the decision to replace my LCR for a diesel (for economical reasons) I was put off the MK1 Cupra/FR as it didn't look as good as the CupraR. Now that the FR looks (almost) as good as the Cupra I have splashed the cash and bought the FR. If I was looking to buy the Cupra instead my opinion may very well be different!

leonGR

ProDriver
Dec 7, 2006
Athens, Greece
After a quick think - i have the following listed
  • Front spoiler painted black at the bottom centre part
  • Bi-Xenon headlights
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Lower ride hight
  • Different suspension
  • HUGE Brakes
  • Black wing mirror covers
  • rear exhaust
  • Cupra Logos
  • Front drivers / passengers chair
  • Black Interior roof lining
  • Better Engine power (240Bhp)

Feel free to add others that I've missed

Don't forget strengthen gearbox with different ratios to take advantage of the increase in power... :)

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
But this thread is about styling and both the FR and Cupra are very boring to look at. They need something extra to seperate them from the rest of the range.

The FR is ok as the sports model, but I think most people were expecting something a little bit more special from the Cupra. I know i was.

Lets face it when you are spending that much on a car you want it to look a little bit special.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.