Front fog lights

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
i have a habit of driving round with my headlights on all day including my front fog lights, a friend told me that he knows someone who got pulled over by the police and given a £30 fine for driving with his front fogs on when it wasnt foggy,

can someone please confirm this for me because id rather not get pulled over by the police and get slapped with a fine

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
yes that's correct hence the name fog lamps

some of the new models have a nifty feature that will turn on a single light at low speed cornering to help you see where you are going so there is no need to have them one unless it's foggy and you can't see from reflection from the main headlamps

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
ok that sucks, i dont really understand why though because my front fog lights are not blinding and if anything they make visability much better at night time giving me a wider coverage of light, will i get a fine for using them at night?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ok that sucks, i dont really understand why though because my front fog lights are not blinding and if anything they make visability much better at night time giving me a wider coverage of light, will i get a fine for using them at night?

you'll get a fine for using them anytime if it's not foggy

to be honest they will come on for slow corners anyway so useful when needed admittedly but for anything over 2nd gear you really should be looking further ahead than 6ft from your car to be honest so i can't see how you'd consider them useable in normal driving

due to the nature of the spread and angle of the lights they rarely dazzle directly but when wet/rain it can reflect and and cause issues

Last edited:

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
yeah thats what my mate called them 'twat lights'

i had noticed one light coming on and wondered why that happened but that explains it i guess

ill stop driving with my twat lights on from now on =]

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Or "hero lights" in my area. This is becaus only REAL hero's drive with them on all the time. ;)

Last edited:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Wirral not far from you actually. No one seem to get pulled which is strange.

Saying that I once got pulled for having my car too low. It was a 106 Gti lowered 35mm and it was 5's up of corse it was going to be low!! He was checking the boot the footwells and everything saying I was overloaded. He even made me show the middle seat belt to prove it was made for 3 in the back haha

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
manner's of use prohibitied:
Front fog lamp

(a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b) Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

(c) Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

must admit they are called 'twat lights' or ':w4nk: light's' round here too and regular fines for those that do

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
Wirral not far from you actually. No one seem to get pulled which is strange.

Saying that I once got pulled for having my car too low. It was a 106 Gti lowered 35mm and it was 5's up of corse it was going to be low!! He was checking the boot the footwells and everything saying I was overloaded. He even made me show the middle seat belt to prove it was made for 3 in the back haha

haha yeah i wasnt sure because i have driven past a few police cars and nothing has happened, i guess i just have to wait for the over serious bobby that pulls you over for dropping litter.

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Driving with your foglights on when it isn't foggy is illegal!!! Please read your HIGHWAY CODE!! However did you pass your driving test??!!

They should only be used when visibility is down to 100 metres or less. As for not blinding peeps. Thats so wrong. They are as powerful as full beam. God knows how many 'twats' I went past on the way home from work tonight with them on! Effin stupid and thoughtless.

My pennies worth anyway! Just another sad indictment of a lack of thought for other road users!

Dave, please spare a thought for other road users and not just the fine out of your pocket!!!!

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
yeah i totally understand your point of view as i hate it aswell, however i have checked them and they arnt blinding, i have driven behind my friend who says they arnt that bright, thats the only reason i have them on, they wont be on again unless they are needed now

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Btw, I wasn't calling you a 'twat'. I was making reference to the 'twat lights' that come on when cornering, indicating and reversing. Not that I knew they were called that. I noticed mine were 'doing it's thing' tonight. An option to turn it off would be nice.

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
Btw, I wasn't calling you a 'twat'. I was making reference to the 'twat lights' that come on when cornering, indicating and reversing. Not that I knew they were called that. I noticed mine were 'doing it's thing' tonight. An option to turn it off would be nice.

i knew what you meant mate, this isnt a place to abuse people its for help and advice and i know that,

i have notice just one coming on, but didnt realise why it happened, i dont think they are that blinding, swap cars with someone and get them to drive behind you and you will see they are not blinding

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
I reckon the worse ones are on the new Audi's. They are blinding!! Apparently called 'daytime lights'. I think they are LED's. Really powerful and just not needed.

Someone else drive my car?? Never!! lol :lol:

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
i noticed them that and the new range rovers but i think thats just mainly due to the hight of the things,

if you dont want anyone driving yours get someone you know to drive in front of you and tell you if they are blinding thats what i did,

to be honest i dont see why they dont just make xenons as standard so you dont have to pay extra, i like the blue light mmmmm XD

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Personally I don't have any issues with people having their front fogs on, although it does give me a :rolleyes: moment.

The rear ones that come on just because it's raining really do piss me off though, these health and safety geeks need to realise that if you can clearly see the car in front you don't need rear bloody foglights causing a big red haze on the wet motorway.

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
Personally I don't have any issues with people having their front fogs on, although it does give me a :rolleyes: moment.

The rear ones that come on just because it's raining really do piss me off though, these health and safety geeks need to realise that if you can clearly see the car in front you don't need rear bloody foglights causing a big red haze on the wet motorway.

i didnt even know the rear ones came on automatically, is that standard or is it an optional extra

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
ah yeah i see, same wavelength now, yeah that is rather annoying, just been for a drive and noticed that one fog light comes on when you corner at a slow speed, cool idea but, defeats the law against having fog lights on though

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members