Front mounted intercooler

ozzie01

Jul 5, 2006
Sheffield
I have a 2001 leon cupra and am thinking of getting a FMIC, Seen one i want but have been told because of the small bumpers it can be a nightmare to fit, just wondering if anyone has fitted one and if you swapped bumpers to cupra R spec or if it didn't need doing. I'd rather leave the standard bumper on, it looks better:D

CupraJay

20v T - Its where its at!
Jan 17, 2006
South Wales
I have a forge front mount..fits behind the standard bumper without doing a thing...but the standard cupra bumper does cover it up alot...im changing to an R bumper to allow more airflow to it.

CupraJay

Jan 17, 2006
South Wales
Yea..i prefer the look of the neuspeed one..with Inlet..outlet on different sides...but i was told the forge one works better.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
CupraJay said:
Yea..i prefer the look of the neuspeed one..with Inlet..outlet on different sides...but i was told the forge one works better.
surely one each end would lead to major plumbing headaches?

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
have you thought of aquamist as an cheap alternative? injects cold water (or methanol for power increase) into the outlet of intercooler

inlet temps drop alot

it works really well esp if you put ice into your feed bottle!

if you get a kit intercooler i heard forge is good and a great DIY job.

ozzie01

Jul 5, 2006
Sheffield
I have been to some US intercooler sites and their offering simalar intercooler to forge and nuespeed ones at bout $300. also a company on ebay called ths parts what are offering them for £200 with delivery, garage up road said bout £100 to fit

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
I was thinking about the EIP Tuning intercooler. I have bought other stuff from them in the past and the service is second to none.

GReddy also make an IC for the Golf 4, but I dont know much about it.

BTW the EIP IC comes with all pipes from the turbo to the intake, unlike the Forge IC which only comes with the necessary ones. its $1000 for the standard FMIC kit and $1500 for the competition FMIC kit which had double the surface area.

see http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/intercoolers.html

new18tpippinglayout.jpg

Last edited:

ForgeMotorsport

Some qulaity parts in the US , also a lot of rubbish .
The US guys are happy to hack thier cars about to make this stuff fit .
Also watch out for the 20 % + import duty and VAT charges that you will pay as well as the shipping costs, then if anything does happen to go wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
ForgeMotorsport said:
Some qulaity parts in the US , also a lot of rubbish .
The US guys are happy to hack thier cars about to make this stuff fit .
Also watch out for the 20 % + import duty and VAT charges that you will pay as well as the shipping costs, then if anything does happen to go wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry forgot about the Duty in the UK. I live in Saudi Arabia the duty is much less - and if something does go wrong then there will be a lot more !'s than that!

But about hacking stuff to make them fit, dont you "hack" the front crash bumper so your intercooler fits? I'm just trying to be fair, that's all. I'm certain the necessary cutting done by forge is to a very good standard, but even if work is needed by the customer it's not that hard to trim a piece of metal, and its even easier to cut bits out of the bumper.

Regarding the Forge intercooler specifically, I would much rather cut the plastic bumper cover rather than compromise my crash bumper which could potentially make a difference in an accident.

ِAlso "The US guys are happy to hack thier cars about to make this stuff fit" is a bit of a generalisation. Some of the best modified cars i've seen were done in the US. have a look at VWVortex - most of the members are in the US - and see to what extent sometimes the smallest details are discussed.

But you are right, anyone should be careful when buying parts from aftermarket companies as 99% of then, even the good ones do not have the Quality control Seat or VW does. But even in the UK a lot of rubbish parts can be bought, you have to be careful.

So far I am personally very happy with the EIP quality and standard. The short shifter I bought was very similar to OEM quality and finish, and fitted perfectly with no pushing or hammering necessary. Also the GReddy Blow off valve I bought came with perfectly made adaptors and flanges and the pipe to recirculate the excess air was the perfect size and fitted very easily.

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
i was thinking of buying this for mine when i have the cash spare mine 2001 cupra emailed the bloke said it would diffently fit nice behind the bumper
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320017277677&fromMakeTrack=true
and buying this kit
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....30020101785&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
and a garage near where i live said it would cost £100 to £150 to fit depending on how much fabrication work as to be done.
don't have time to do my self
so i am looking at about £300 - £350 to get it done

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
dj_hektik said:
from the turbo to the intercooler, then from the intercooler to the intake
lol,sorry ,i know where they go,just wondered how/why?why buy one with the inlet/oulet on opposite sites when the original pipework is on thwe same side/wouldn't it be easier to buy one with less pipework.less bends less weight,easier to fit.
this is just an unbiased opinion,they are all too expenssive for me at this moment in time .

CupraJay

Jan 17, 2006
South Wales
ozzie01 said:
I have been to some US intercooler sites and their offering simalar intercooler to forge and nuespeed ones at bout $300. also a company on ebay called ths parts what are offering them for £200 with delivery, garage up road said bout £100 to fit

I think they have been mis-lead...i think they are under the impression you have a kit to fit. Which is a quick job. If you just buy an intercooler...fitting it will be hard work.

With the forge kit..it comes with the cooler, hoses, and a new crash bar at the front, shaped for the intercooler.

Its a comprehensive kit..Unlike just buying a random intercooler and fitting it.

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
Paul357 said:
A much better option is this Kinetic Motorsport FMIC - 850usd
http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/help/fmic_photos.html
Forge is priced twice as much as normal, is allmost a joke.

UK prices are always around double the price of the US for comparable parts, I don't know why

BTW that kinetic kit looks different than usual kits - it reroutes all the pipes in an unusual way - I don't know if it will fit alongside an induction kit and any BOV's\Diverter valves... plus with the metal pipes above the engine, wouldn't that increase intake temps? I imagine the pipe would get very hot..

seems better to route the pipes around the bottom of the engine as OEM is - like the EIP kit

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members