Front wipers stopped working!

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
They've suddenly stopped working!:censored:

Checked the fuses (hard to tell which one from the handbook), all seem to be intact.
Rear wiper works, & the washers work, just no wipers.
What the hell is wrong?

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
Had something similar on one of our other cars (wipers and spray on front not working with rear wiper and spray working). Ended up being a faulty switch on the wiper stalk. Wasn't a Seat though.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
They've suddenly stopped working!:censored:

Checked the fuses (hard to tell which one from the handbook), all seem to be intact.
Rear wiper works, & the washers work, just no wipers.
What the hell is wrong?

Had a related problem on the Altea a few weeks ago. Nightmare mate. Drivers side stopped working.

Have you had it on VCDS? Checked for fault codes?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
This relates to the Altea so might be the same or a little different. The wipers are on seperate fuses, one for each side. They're under the bonnet on the fuseboard near the battery (if you have one there). From memory, one is fuse number 3 and the other is something like 31.

The wipers run as master and slave, so when you turn them on the ecu sends a signal to the master wiper motor (passenger side) only. The passenger side motor then sends a signal to the drivers side, so if both wipers have stopped working then I'd be investigating the passenger side first. You'll find that there's 4 wires going to the master and 3 wires to the slave so if the motors are the other way round to mine then you'll know by the wiring.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Thanks for the info Viking.
The handbook doesn't exactly say which fuse(s) are for the wipers. The closest description is "Cleaning"!
I've checked the under bonnet fusebox, but I'll have another look.

I've got a feeling it might still be the bonnet catch, as I had the front bumper off at the weekend. It may have been disturbed when I was messing with the bumper.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
The bumper has to come off again anyway.
Need to tweek my new lights, but it's so bloody cold I really don't want to do it!!
I getting too old to be crawling around under cars in the cold & wet! :blink:

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Right, it's not the switch or wiring.
Had it checked with VCDS & it's looks like it's the master wiper motor!

Apparently they need to be coded in with the car if you replace them?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Master motor (on the passenger side in the Altea) controls the slave motor (on the drivers side).

12volts constant supply goes to both motors, and they're fused separately. When you put the wipers on the ecu sends an activation signal down a separate wire to the master (passenger side) motor, then the master sends a signal to the slave (drivers) motor via a second wire. The signal wire tells the motors to work (in turn) and the motors use the supplied 12v feed to drive them.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
I've now got this fixed.
It was the master (N/S) wiper motor that was faulty.
A new one is £114 from the dealer. I also had to replace the spindle/crank assembly (£97!!) on the N/S as the spindle sheared off when the wiper arm was being removed. It had seized on.
The wipers have to be syncronised via VCDS (something I couldn't do), so I took it to my friendly local VAG independant for fitting.

So, I'm now £290 lighter but pleased my wipers work!

Jun 1, 2009
west lothian
I've now got this fixed.
It was the master (N/S) wiper motor that was faulty.
A new one is £114 from the dealer. I also had to replace the spindle/crank assembly (£97!!) on the N/S as the spindle sheared off when the wiper arm was being removed. It had seized on.
The wipers have to be syncronised via VCDS (something I couldn't do), so I took it to my friendly local VAG independant for fitting.

So, I'm now £290 lighter but pleased my wipers work!

Did the nspindle shear off or did you forget the n/s is left hand thread?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.