Fuel consumption

rahul

Dec 24, 2009
Hatfield, Hertfordshire
Ok, so i've got this 1.2 Ibiza, i was thinking maybe its a small engine, it'll be low on the MPG, therefore saving me costs, so i noticed i was paying more than i expected on the fuel, so last time i filled up, i put a full tank of Shell V Power, and reset the mileage counter. I just took the car out today, and its already dropped a bar, after only doing 24.3 miles... Now that cant be right surely? (Also, i change gear at around 2500 rpm, and i cruise alot in neutral, you may call me cheap, ill call it recession times...)

belly3

yeah i think there is a 1.2 actually. think its only available in 's' trim though, not sure. whenever i see a mk5 ibiza 's' (and there are quite a lot about near me lol) i cant help but notice how bad/cheap/tacky they look with the boring hubcaps, cheap looking headlights and none colourcoded handles+mirrors :-( .i know thats how most entry models look but because im a mk5 owner, i pay more attention 2 stuff like that lol.my gf couldnt believe it was the same car as mine. said it was ugly b4 she knew.lol

belly3

but in relation to the actual topic.... i own a 1.4 sport and the mpg is VERY dissapointing aswell!

rahul

Dec 24, 2009
Hatfield, Hertfordshire
yeah i think there is a 1.2 actually. think its only available in 's' trim though, not sure. whenever i see a mk5 ibiza 's' (and there are quite a lot about near me lol) i cant help but notice how bad/cheap/tacky they look with the boring hubcaps, cheap looking headlights and none colourcoded handles+mirrors :-( .i know thats how most entry models look but because im a mk5 owner, i pay more attention 2 stuff like that lol.my gf couldnt believe it was the same car as mine. said it was ugly b4 she knew.lol

Ah, im looking to replace my hubs, i got colour coded wings, and nuffin i can do about the door handles, and stop hating :censored:

belly3

sorry just my opinion. nothing personal :) its still a fairly decent car

Ibiza 09

i did some shocking driving today the 1.4 se should get about 38 mpg around town and i got a terrible 28.3mpg and used a bar of fuel in a day normally i use less than a bar!

stukillen

Jun 26, 2009
Glasgow
instead of coasting in nutral try in a high gear coasting it gives better fuel efficency as the wheels are turning the engine and thus very little fuel is needed. where as if you are coasting in nutral the engine is using the same fuel as on idel(ie more). this is best on hills as you can regulate your speed better than in nutral by using the gears, insted of the brakes.
stu

BLACKNIGHT

AS DARK AS NIGHT
Sep 15, 2008
ards
Give it a day or two to run the shell v power. Before you stuck the shell v power in the tank was the fuel gauge sitting at m8. Also if the mileage of the car is below the first service the engine is not run in yet which can cause poor mpg. I used to run my car on 95 ron unleaded but now i use super and its the 1.6 sports coupe and find i am getting more miles per gallon now.[B)]:funk:

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
isnt shell v power only for high performance engines? I think u r wasting your money putting it in a 1.2 normal engine arnt you?

rahul

Dec 24, 2009
Hatfield, Hertfordshire
Give it a day or two to run the shell v power. Before you stuck the shell v power in the tank was the fuel gauge sitting at m8. Also if the mileage of the car is below the first service the engine is not run in yet which can cause poor mpg. I used to run my car on 95 ron unleaded but now i use super and its the 1.6 sports coupe and find i am getting more miles per gallon now.[B)]:funk:

The fuel gauge was on its last bar, (in the red), and the cars only done 4500 miles, but it was a demonstrator, ive added about 1800 miles in the car.. I was thinking maybe it hasnt been run in properly yet, because ive not taken it for a long distance drive yet, ive only really done town miles, and maybe a maximum of 5 miles on the motorway each time its been taken.. So would you suggest the MPG will improve or am i stuck with about 22MPG?

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
Hi Rahul , I wouldn,t despair to much with your MPG, I have found that when I do short runs etc like you it shows just above 20 Mpg,but as you extend that same run into a longer one the MPG indicator slowly moves up and up until in my Boca with only 900miles on the clock it hovers around the 40 MPG mark which isn,t bad!!!.This is with little hard driving as I know that it will drop from this range if I put my foot down!!! Power increase equals fuel increase!!!
Bocawata.:funk:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
On a 5 mile run on normal roads i'm getting 31mpg but thats using the low gear changes of DRIVE on the DSG. 20odd isn't great for a 1.2TBH.

M12ETM

Dec 11, 2009
Luton
At the moment ive got the 1.4sc sport and i drive about... maybe less than 5miles a day to work and i get between 28 - 31mpg.
But if i ever have to go up to milton keynes on the motorway i can get between 40 and 45mpg.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I do about that. Since its new i'm still having too many blasts in it to give you an accurate answer. I do 90 miles a day 3 days a week. Send me a PM in a couple of weeks and I can give you a more accurate answer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise