Fuel consumption

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
Hi guys,
I’ve just got back from a trip to my office in Chester which is a 430 mile round trip in my Ibiza that has a 40 litre tank and wondered whether the VZ2 with 310ps and a 55 litre tank could do this trip without having to stop for fuel? The trip takes about 4 hours each way with about 100 miles driven on A roads and the rest sitting at between 60 - 70 mph on motorways depending on the speed restrictions.
I would need to average 36 mpg so if the car can average 35-40 mpg on the motorways I should be okay.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Hi guys,
I’ve just got back from a trip to my office in Chester which is a 430 mile round trip in my Ibiza that has a 40 litre tank and wondered whether the VZ2 with 310ps and a 55 litre tank could do this trip without having to stop for fuel? The trip takes about 4 hours each way with about 100 miles driven on A roads and the rest sitting at between 60 - 70 mph on motorways depending on the speed restrictions.
I would need to average 36 mpg so if the car can average 35-40 mpg on the motorways I should be okay.
Hi Ian,

Hmm your going to have to try it and find out but Im going out on a limb to say that might be a bit ambitious. Especially within the early stages of the cars life where the mpg is usually lower. how many miles have you got under your belt in the VZ2?

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Hi guys,

I've seen some reviewers hit this mark. It's probably not easy but if you drive economically you might make it. Try it out and make sure to report back.

But I am not sure it makes sense to buy a 310ps car if you care about mpg. Hybrid or a diesel would be better in that case.

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
Hi Ian,

Hmm your going to have to try it and find out but Im going out on a limb to say that might be a bit ambitious. Especially within the early stages of the cars life where the mpg is usually lower. how many miles have you got under your belt in the VZ2?
Hi Rick,
I haven’t got my Formentor yet, I have a provisional week 14 build date which means I won’t get my car until May.
It going to drag waiting for it so hopefully it will be moved forward if I’m lucky 🤞
Have you been enjoying your car and had many comments from the staff and students of your school?

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I've seen some reviewers hit this mark. It's probably not easy but if you drive economically you might make it. Try it out and make sure to report back.

But I am not sure it makes sense to buy a 310ps car if you care about mpg. Hybrid or a diesel would be better in that case.
I’m not worried about the fuel consumption, I just wondered whether it would be possible to do the trip without having to fill up? I use Costco’s super unleaded in my cars and although there is a Costco with filling station in Chester it will be closed by the time I get to Chester on the Sunday evenings I am up there. To be fair once I get the car and it has been run in I will be in Cupra mode or individual mode with Cupra mode settings apart from comfort suspension for the 100 miles of A roads so will kill the average mpg for the trip.
Is it you who are getting the ABT tune?

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Hi Rick,
I haven’t got my Formentor yet, I have a provisional week 14 build date which means I won’t get my car until May.
It going to drag waiting for it so hopefully it will be moved forward if I’m lucky 🤞
Have you been enjoying your car and had many comments from the staff and students of your school?
Want me to run the trip for you and see if I can do it?? Haha. It's a fine balancing act with the kids, some see me drive in and out but then you have to park far away from them so they can't go near it and get too close to it. I've been loving it mate, just wish I could get on some longer drives for the enjoyment and to rack up some early miles so I can start giving it the full beans, I guess restrictions are stopping my fun at the moment!

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I care about mpg in terms of range. I assume it will be similar to my old Scirocco, which was doing around 400 miles / 600km on 55l tank and 32.65 mpg or 8.65l/100km. If I drove a bit slower on motorway, I could do a bit more. I was commuting from London to Southampton and had to fill up every 2.5 day. I used to plan where to stop for petrol on my euro-trips, due to short range. I could make it from London to Bottrop (Germany), but on one trip had to drive around Duisburg at night, looking for petrol station. I guess, it will be deja vu.

People in Golf R usually mentioned something around 30-32mpg average.

Last edited:

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
Want me to run the trip for you and see if I can do it?? Haha. It's a fine balancing act with the kids, some see me drive in and out but then you have to park far away from them so they can't go near it and get too close to it. I've been loving it mate, just wish I could get on some longer drives for the enjoyment and to rack up some early miles so I can start giving it the full beans, I guess restrictions are stopping my fun at the moment!
Hopefully the restrictions will ease soon. It does make me laugh that it’s okay for me to travel from Kent to Chester and stay in a hotel when I need to be in my office to train my sales team but can’t visit a family member just down the road. It’s a mad world we live in.
At least when I get my Formentor it won’t take long to run in the car and I should be able to go out for a meal by then also.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Well I got around 34mpg in my Cupra Ateca (with 1800 miles on the clock) driving like a granny back from the dealer in York down the M1 on cruise control all the way to Luton, with 25 miles being at 60mph, the rest at 70. You’ll need to stop somewhere for fuel I think.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Hopefully the restrictions will ease soon. It does make me laugh that it’s okay for me to travel from Kent to Chester and stay in a hotel when I need to be in my office to train my sales team but can’t visit a family member just down the road. It’s a mad world we live in.
At least when I get my Formentor it won’t take long to run in the car and I should be able to go out for a meal by then also.
Crazy indeed mate, counting down the days for you until it comes. If the Mrs allowed me I would **** off after work for a few hours every night take it for a spin then sit and admire it but life ain't as simple as that ha. I'm only on 268 miles after a week! Mpg 27.8

Reactions: IanH72

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
So I have a VZ Edition with the same engine and I recently had to do a 400 mile round trip, from Swindon to Norwich with a similar mix of roads and motorway. I didn't go crazy, but didn't shy away from an odd overtake or two and I averaged 31.2 mpg (according to the App) and managed the whole trip with around 40 miles of range left. On that basis, I think you may just manage it, but range anxiety may well creep in toward the end?

Reactions: Peyton

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
So I have a VZ Edition with the same engine and I recently had to do a 400 mile round trip, from Swindon to Norwich with a similar mix of roads and motorway. I didn't go crazy, but didn't shy away from an odd overtake or two and I averaged 31.2 mpg (according to the App) and managed the whole trip with around 40 miles of range left. On that basis, I think you may just manage it, but range anxiety may well creep in toward the end?
How many miles have you done now and have you noticed an improvement as more miles are put on your car?

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Cracking answer to the question, good going, wish I could have a 400 mile round trip takes a big chunk of your running in period cleared out the way ha

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
How many miles have you done now and have you noticed an improvement as more miles are put on your car?
A couple of people have said this. One said they think the ECU is programmed to release itself after so many miles and a lot of reports of cars being faster after they have 1-2k miles under their belt. Something to look forward to I guess..

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
Now up to 700 miles, and had it nearly 3 months. The long trips are few and far between and it all still feels a bit tight yet, but improving. Once there's a couple of thousand on the clock, I'd hope to get a bit more out of it, but then again may get addicted to the Cupra button?

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
A rule of thumb that I'm taking is to keep it out of S mode on the gearbox until I get to the 1000 mile mark. Hard to do as it is the default setting when going to sport and cupra mode. I keep fiddling with individual mode going from everything on eco to everything on sport minis the cupra engine noise sound

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I’m guessing once our mileage gets to that level and we have more power that the fuel consumption will go down for a while 😂

Reactions: Gregums

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I’m not worried about the fuel consumption, I just wondered whether it would be possible to do the trip without having to fill up? I use Costco’s super unleaded in my cars and although there is a Costco with filling station in Chester it will be closed by the time I get to Chester on the Sunday evenings I am up there. To be fair once I get the car and it has been run in I will be in Cupra mode or individual mode with Cupra mode settings apart from comfort suspension for the 100 miles of A roads so will kill the average mpg for the trip.
Is it you who are getting the ABT tune?
Not me. I think that is user named dovla.

They probably put a bigger tank in Formentor to help with range. I'm curious how it does as well.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.