Fuel consumption

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Can I just ask what are people putting in the tank. I've not filled it up yet as I'm still under the petrol from the dealership. From memory j think the filler cap says 98ron is best preference. Have people been putting in super unleaded/ v max/ Tesco momentum etc or been sticking to 95 Ron premium unleaded?

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
Can I just ask what are people putting in the tank. I've not filled it up yet as I'm still under the petrol from the dealership. From memory j think the filler cap says 98ron is best preference. Have people been putting in super unleaded/ v max/ Tesco momentum etc or been sticking to 95 Ron premium unleaded?
The general consensus on the Golf R forum is that Shell V Power is best followed by Tesco momentum and that TSI engines prefer 98ron fuel. I use Costco’s super unleaded as it’s supposed to be the same fuel that Tesco use.

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
The general consensus on the Golf R forum is that Shell V Power is best followed by Tesco momentum and that TSI engines prefer 98ron fuel. I use Costco’s super unleaded as it’s supposed to be the same fuel that Tesco use.
Been treating mine to the new Esso 99+ premium fuel, but first fill up was bog standard unleaded from Sainsburys. Can't say I can see much difference?

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
I care about mpg in terms of range. I assume it will be similar to my old Scirocco, which was doing around 400 miles / 600km on 55l tank and 32.65 mpg or 8.65l/100km. If I drove a bit slower on motorway, I could do a bit more. I was commuting from London to Southampton and had to fill up every 2.5 day. I used to plan where to stop for petrol on my euro-trips, due to short range. I could make it from London to Bottrop (Germany), but on one trip had to drive around Duisburg at night, looking for petrol station. I guess, it will be deja vu.

People in Golf R usually mentioned something around 30-32mpg average.
I've done about 26k miles over two years in my R and it's averaged about 32mpg mixed driving. On longer runs on clear motorways being sensible easily managed 40mpg, set ACC to 75 and just cruuiiise. Then treat yourself on a B road and blat it 😁. I imagine my new Formentor (countdown.... 9 days) won't be too far off this 🤔

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Honestly? Absolutely no difference felt using a variety of fuels over 26,000 in my mk7. 5 R. I've tried it all and I think Super is really a waste of money. If the car is looked after and carefully maintained there is no downside to using whatever petrol is at the pump when you pull up. Just my opinion mind, just don't get hung up on putting plain old unleaded in - it won't damage the engine or hinder performance at all 😉

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
Honestly? Absolutely no difference felt using a variety of fuels over 26,000 in my mk7. 5 R. I've tried it all and I think Super is really a waste of money. If the car is looked after and carefully maintained there is no downside to using whatever petrol is at the pump when you pull up. Just my opinion mind, just don't get hung up on putting plain old unleaded in - it won't damage the engine or hinder performance at all 😉
My main go to place for fuel will be Costco’s super unleaded as it is about the same price as unleaded in petrol stations. When I filled up Monday evening it was £1.269 per litre. I’m lucky that I live so close to Costco and shop there every week so it’s not out of my way.

Reactions: Stonepope

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
My main go to place for fuel will be Costco’s super unleaded as it is about the same price as unleaded in petrol stations. When I filled up Monday evening it was £1.269 per litre. I’m lucky that I live so close to Costco and shop there every week so it’s not out of my way.
Just thought Ian with you getting the VZ2 like me you will have the space saver spare wheel under the boot flooring. Read into that what you wish with the mpg. Obviously it's a bit more added weight than the VZ edition which doesn't come with the spare wheel I don't think.

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
In my old Golf R I managed 45mpg on a trip to Scotland, getting 450+ miles on a tank. The Ateca is considerably worse and I can get 35mpg on a decent run but it's not guaranteed and I don't really try for that reason. If it was me, I wouldn't buy the 310PS car and try and drive it really economically. Unless you live behind a petrol station, I imagine the hassle is worth than the reward. You should run these cars on 99RON and running low on fuel is never ideal, especially not all the time.

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Or zephyr
Nope. Definitely not me. Still having less than 600Km on the odometer and car loves to drink (or guzzle) 98 Octane (I have a Repsol petrol station near home). I'm having around 8.5l/100Km (around 29.5Mpg) not concerned about this. I imagine that as kilometres go... mileage will improve.

Reactions: Peyton

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Here are my results from computer from first few days of driving VZ2 310. Last one is motorway with long distance of road works and 50mph. (M25, M3, M4)

Any kind of dynamic driving kills efficiency.

Mpg
Screenshot_20210324-071548_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg

Km.
Screenshot_20210324-071512_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Some more mpg records, since I was asked how I achieved 33mpg average from tank.

Local driving on roads with speed limits: 50, 40, 30, 60 but single lane. Not exactly town traffic, more country side. It's so far the worst mpg and I wasn't having fun at all.
Screenshot_20210405-193513_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg

And that was balanced out by motorway trip.
Screenshot_20210405-193536_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Fair effort on getting 21.7mpg. on a long term return I would hope to be getting high 20's pushing early 30's.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
1617694588887.png

With plenty of hard driving - I'm still exploring the car so hard to resist. I'd say half of it is highway driving at 150 kph and the rest city driving with lots of stop and go traffic. My average speed shows this well.

This is about 20 mpg.

EDIT: You can get this data from Seat/Cupra connect website - you can control some functions from there as well (same as the app on the phone)

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
It always bemuses me when people buy cars with engines like these and target economical driving.
Driving them properly you’ll be no higher than mid 20’s.
Drive them hard you’ll be low 20‘s.
Getting into the 30’s then I’d ask what the point in getting this car was........

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I always record mpg of all my cars, full to full tank. I like to keep stats and total cost. I don't try to drive economically, it's forced on me with speed cameras and road works with 50mph limits. I don't use eco mode or start/stop. There's no need to drive like crazy all the time. I can have some fun, but there are still boring commutes on motorways. I would never get the same mpg if I was living in city in UK or somewhere in Germany with higher speed limits or lack of limits.

In past, I took my cars to Germany purely for fuel burning exercise but now it's not an option. My personal favourite is burning tank of petrol ( from full to reserve - 58l) in 1h 52m, with average speed of 106mph - 171km/h.

Reactions: Yaz2010

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
It always bemuses me when people buy cars with engines like these and target economical driving.
Driving them properly you’ll be no higher than mid 20’s.
Drive them hard you’ll be low 20‘s.
Getting into the 30’s then I’d ask what the point in getting this car was......
Agree but there are certain journeys I will go on and try and be as economical as possible. Just done this one with the family.. individual eco mode. Tested ACC to standstill in traffic jam traffic. I can confirm it will take you to a complete stop. When the car In Front set off the engine came back on but my car didn't get off, I gave it about 5 seconds then decided to initiate the accelerator myself then took my foot off and it was autonomous again. I think someone has previously said if you do leave it long enough the car will set off again, I don't think it's as quick as you realistically want it to be though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210406-120252.png
    Screenshot_20210406-120252.png
    419.1 KB · Views: 109

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
In the last week I have done a couple of journeys where I've managed 36/37mpg on a decent run. Definitely my highest to date. Car's on 7k miles now so maybe that's a contributing factor... who knows.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.