Fuel consumption

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
In the last week I have done a couple of journeys where I've managed 36/37mpg on a decent run. Definitely my highest to date. Car's on 7k miles now so maybe that's a contributing factor... who knows.
I'm on 760 miles ha. Did you manage those mpgs with passengers or was it just you?

Apr 17, 2021
Hey guys.

Second post here and enjoyed reading this thread.

I am considering doing a PCH on the Formentor as I love the look/design of the car. Not a peteolhead at all and I always thought my recent Seat Leon FR 150 manual was plenty fast and responsive. However I read some reviews that the V2 150ps is not that much more efficient than than the VZ2 310ps?

I will not do a lot of mileage as the car will be mostly B and A roads with perhaps the occasional long distance trip for a family staycation. Our other car is a '17 RLine Scirocco 150ps (TDI) so really the Cupra will be the 'family car'. I will normally opt for the hybrid but the drop in boot space is a bit much for us.

Both are affordable on Contract Hire. Is the VZ2 worth it, especially since it is the cheapest option with adaptive suspension?

Is the standard suspension OK? Wife previously complained about the ride on the FR..bus she loves her Scirocco...which is strange on those 19" wheels!!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Hey guys.

Second post here and enjoyed reading this thread.

I am considering doing a PCH on the Formentor as I love the look/design of the car. Not a peteolhead at all and I always thought my recent Seat Leon FR 150 manual was plenty fast and responsive. However I read some reviews that the V2 150ps is not that much more efficient than than the VZ2 310ps?

I will not do a lot of mileage as the car will be mostly B and A roads with perhaps the occasional long distance trip for a family staycation. Our other car is a '17 RLine Scirocco 150ps (TDI) so really the Cupra will be the 'family car'. I will normally opt for the hybrid but the drop in boot space is a bit much for us.

Both are affordable on Contract Hire. Is the VZ2 worth it, especially since it is the cheapest option with adaptive suspension?

Is the standard suspension OK? Wife previously complained about the ride on the FR..bus she loves her Scirocco...which is strange on those 19" wheels!!

Depends what your after mate, like you say your not a petrol head but I would strongly say Get the VZ2 mate if the step up in price is something you can afford. It depends whether you just want the car to be what you said ' a family car to cart the family around' or do you wana open it up and give your driving experience a smile everytime you have a bit of open road on them B and A roads. The VZ2 is only my second car ( previous car 2017 seat Leon 1.2l turbo 110ps 6 speed manual) and I have a young family and it's used as our family car but missus has a mini so I get some time to myself in the Formentor and it's just so addictive to drive dynamically. I'm sure the 150ps is no 'slouch' and is probably the more ' sensible option' but the VZ2+ is another level. I'm sure you will get the testimony of a lot more wonderful members on here who have had a far more broad driving experience in their lives than me but if you have me the 150ps now that I've tasted the flagship then I would be thoroughly disappointed I imagine

Reactions: mm8718 and IanH72

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I didn't think it's even possible. And no, I didn't try to drive economically, there was just long stretch of motorway with 50mph limit, due to road works. Highest I saw, just after road works, was 39.3 mpg. By the time, I top up petrol, it will balance itself out with some shorter trips.

Screenshot_20210418-213524_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg

Reactions: Peyton
Apr 17, 2021
Thanks @Ricknffc

Much appreciated. I feel the same way as I also suspect if I manage to keep this car for the 4 year lease duration...my next car will be most likely electric.

So perhaps as a last ICE celebration...maybe just go for the 310PS...I am in my 40s now...midlife crisis perhaps!!

Will see if I can get a test drive as my local.dealer was not very keen to offer me a run when he heard I may not be doing PCP!!!

My other niggle is...I recently rejected the Golf 8 1.5eTSI as the glitches on all the sensors were driving me mad and looking elsewhere in these forums....the Cupra is the same. But in my case I was getting some worrying battery voltage warnings hence the rejection. I am convinced everything else is software and time is a healer!

Apr 17, 2021
I didn't think it's even possible. And no, I didn't try to drive economically, there was just long stretch of motorway with 50mph limit, due to road works. Highest I saw, just after road works, was 39.3 mpg. By the time, I top up petrol, it will balance itself out with some shorter trips.

View attachment 23864
Thanks @Agnes.Surrey

Good to know though I reckon 50mph at a steady speed won't be happening very often in this car!!

In our case...it will literally be the family bus ( with an attitude) but since I live near the coast (east of Edinburgh) I am.looking forward to some nice drives.

The Scirocco is on HP so no mileage limit there and fuel.economy is excellent...that can take the long trips where space is not essential!

Think I am sold already!

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
Screenshot_20210418-224646.jpg
This is my best ever mpg in my V2, was mainly motorway with 50mph in large part for road works. The next column to the right is the drive home by a different route without the road works

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Some people have been extremely unfortunate with the software and technology ( as you have probably seen tends to be between a certain VIN of range) I have had a couple of niggles but nothing major and they haven't lasted for long at all ( my car is not within the VIN range) like you say if it's a last hoorah to ICE then i say go for it. Kids with love you for it! Wife might not be too impressed, or maybe she will? Ha.

I was in a similar situation to you I didn't really think the VZ2 would be realistic for me and thought I would have to go for the V2 but then I thought ' what's the point in me going for a cupra if I'm not going for the high end of performance?' ( just my opinion) so I knew I had to go for the VZ2 or a different manufacturer. But I will stick by saying pound for pound you are really going to struggle to get the all round package that the Formentor delivers for the same price.

Have you thought about what spec you would have your Formentor in?

Apr 17, 2021
Some people have been extremely unfortunate with the software and technology ( as you have probably seen tends to be between a certain VIN of range) I have had a couple of niggles but nothing major and they haven't lasted for long at all ( my car is not within the VIN range) like you say if it's a last hoorah to ICE then i say go for it. Kids with love you for it! Wife might not be too impressed, or maybe she will? Ha.

I was in a similar situation to you I didn't really think the VZ2 would be realistic for me and thought I would have to go for the V2 but then I thought ' what's the point in me going for a cupra if I'm not going for the high end of performance?' ( just my opinion) so I knew I had to go for the VZ2 or a different manufacturer. But I will stick by saying pound for pound you are really going to struggle to get the all round package that the Formentor delivers for the same price.

Have you thought about what spec you would have your Formentor in?
Hi @Ricknffc

Thanks once again!

Trust me...wife is the petrolhead more than me and she would love it!!

To be honest the car is fully loaded in my opinion as it is in the VZ2 trim at 310ps. DCC was a must and it comes as standard.

Other than colour choices, I like desire red but might not be brave enough.. probably black. I love the petrol blue but too pricey.

The panoramic sunroof will be something the kids would love but it will all depend on the monthly. It can easily creep up...and would rather spend it all on the blue colour that the panoramic sunroof...sorry kids!

I have seen standard spec for £324 for 9+48 & 8K miles.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but you all confirmed what I thought about the mpg. Thanks!!

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Hi @Ricknffc

Thanks once again!

Trust me...wife is the petrolhead more than me and she would love it!!

To be honest the car is fully loaded in my opinion as it is in the VZ2 trim at 310ps. DCC was a must and it comes as standard.

Other than colour choices, I like desire red but might not be brave enough.. probably black. I love the petrol blue but too pricey.

The panoramic sunroof will be something the kids would love but it will all depend on the monthly. It can easily creep up...and would rather spend it all on the blue colour that the panoramic sunroof...sorry kids!

I have seen standard spec for £324 for 9+48 & 8K miles.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but you all confirmed what I thought about the mpg. Thanks!!

No worries, keep us updated on how you get on! And happy hunting! I guess like the majority of us I did all my research online looking at reviews and YouTube video reviews seen as all dealers shut in lockdown and I only ever saw one with the door open and sat in it for the first time when it got delivered to me. I looked for as much content as possible and the general consensus comes back that it is a very good car. In regards to mpg my most economical drive to date was around the 37mpg mark ( everything in individual mode set to comfort/ eco. An hour's drive 30 odd miles mainly 40/50mph that was with family of 4, pram, daily luggage etc on the other scale giving it a good thrashing having fun with it more like mid 20's

Reactions: Yaz2010
Apr 17, 2021
No worries, keep us updated on how you get on! And happy hunting! I guess like the majority of us I did all my research online looking at reviews and YouTube video reviews seen as all dealers shut in lockdown and I only ever saw one with the door open and sat in it for the first time when it got delivered to me. I looked for as much content as possible and the general consensus comes back that it is a very good car. In regards to mpg my most economical drive to date was around the 37mpg mark ( everything in individual mode set to comfort/ eco. An hour's drive 30 odd miles mainly 40/50mph that was with family of 4, pram, daily luggage etc on the other scale giving it a good thrashing having fun with it more like mid 20's
Hi @Ricknffc & @Agnes.Surrey

Just curious what kind of total mileage are you getting? My old Leon FR I think had a 50ltr tank and I was getting 435miles as per the trip computer upon fill-up.

What kind of estimated mileage are you getting on the VZ2? I know it's a 55ltr tank and by my estimate, you will be lucky if you are seeing more than 400miles? Obviously this is very relative but just curious.

An old friend of mine had a thirsty Volvo back in the day and I think he resorted to always keeping it half full as he was too scared to fill it up for the cost!!

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Hi @Ricknffc & @Agnes.Surrey

Just curious what kind of total mileage are you getting? My old Leon FR I think had a 50ltr tank and I was getting 435miles as per the trip computer upon fill-up.

What kind of estimated mileage are you getting on the VZ2? I know it's a 55ltr tank and by my estimate, you will be lucky if you are seeing more than 400miles? Obviously this is very relative but just curious.

An old friend of mine had a thirsty Volvo back in the day and I think he resorted to always keeping it half full as he was too scared to fill it up for the cost!!

Haven't had it long enough to give you a true answer to be honest. If it's right that consumption goes up after a few thousand miles after all the parts have settled down then it might be a slightly different figure. I've only done 1052 miles so far so wouldn't like to say. I think your right in terms of being lucky to see 400 miles range

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
The best I've seen was 450 miles, when I topped up after long drive. But it will go down easily, if you drive differently. I stop for petrol when it's convenient, on my way, I have some spare time. There's no petrol station in my town.

Imagine topping up 82l tank, when you have only 2l left ;-) Depending on diesel/petrol price, it can go over £100. Most automatic petrol stations have cutover at £99. Petrol model of this particular car could do 400-450 miles on a tank, diesel up to 700 miles.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021
Thanks all...hoping to get a test drive this weekend. Not sure what model they have in but I am hoping it is the V2 as I wanted to test the suspension. The fuel consumption is bound to be better as well.

My driving will be A&B roads, the occasional trip into Edinburgh (20 miles for me), maybe a few trips into Glasgow and some staycations around Scotland. But mostly A&B local roads.

Other car is a TDI Scirocco so that could take a beating as it is over 50mpg without even trying!

Typically the dealership is pushing me towards pCP and the only way to get a test drive was for me to agree to the PCP chat!

Thanks

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I'm surprised it's reported that V2 is not that much more efficient than VZ2? I'd expect it to be much better on fuel economy. Not just because the engine is more efficient but as driver can't really kill his MPG by driving too fast like in VZ2. There is a diesel and a Hybrid Formentor too (not sure if it is available in UK). Interesting option might be 245 petrol as well.

I bought a 310ps version but I wanted a fast car regardless of consumption. If consumption was a factor, I wouldn't but a 310ps petrol car.

Be sure to know what you need, especially as you own a Scirrocco. Would Cupra Ateca/SEAT Ateca be interesting to you?

Apr 17, 2021
I'm surprised it's reported that V2 is not that much more efficient than VZ2? I'd expect it to be much better on fuel economy. Not just because the engine is more efficient but as driver can't really kill his MPG by driving too fast like in VZ2. There is a diesel and a Hybrid Formentor too (not sure if it is available in UK). Interesting option might be 245 petrol as well.

I bought a 310ps version but I wanted a fast car regardless of consumption. If consumption was a factor, I wouldn't but a 310ps petrol car.

Be sure to know what you need, especially as you own a Scirrocco. Would Cupra Ateca/SEAT Ateca be interesting to you?
To be honest...it's the look and design I really like, not necessarily the power. I just wish the DCC was an option. Only reason why I am considering the VZ2.

The Ateca....never really like the look of it tbh...sorry!

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
To be honest...it's the look and design I really like, not necessarily the power. I just wish the DCC was an option. Only reason why I am considering the VZ2.

The Ateca....never really like the look of it tbh...sorry!

I don't like the look either, but mentioned it if it is a family hauler plus you have a looker in Scirocco.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.