Fuel filter - blooming fuel lines.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
hi guys

did an oil and filter change today. Went to do my fuel filter at the same time, but, the inlet pipe that goes straight into the filter wouldn't come off! its completely stuck on.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get it off? the only thing I can really think of is slice it off, neaten the pipe and then just push the pipe back on the new one, but its not really something I want to do if I can help it?

I cant think of anything I can use to push in between the filter piping and the rubber to seperate them that wont damage the rubber,

Oddly the outlet pipe pulled off fine.

TIA!

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
hi guys

did an oil and filter change today. Went to do my fuel filter at the same time, but, the inlet pipe that goes straight into the filter wouldn't come off! its completely stuck on.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get it off? the only thing I can really think of is slice it off, neaten the pipe and then just push the pipe back on the new one, but its not really something I want to do if I can help it?

I cant think of anything I can use to push in between the filter piping and the rubber to seperate them that wont damage the rubber,

Oddly the outlet pipe pulled off fine.

TIA!
or slide the clip off then carefully pinch the pipe parralell ? to it's length with a pair of pliers or waterpump grips !/4" bite should do it, mat be in two places---- the rubber will stretch and break the seal without having to furkle under it with something sharp:)

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
hmm, I might try the pliers method if I have to, but dont want to damage the rubber if I can help it? I presume that that inlet pipe is a fairly long one, so wont be easier to take it off at the other end and swap it altogether?

Cheers guys

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
ah HA. done it. Went straight out after using the car, used the pliers to twist the pipe and it popped off, easy as pie. Typical!

I had 2 o-rings in the box, figured that they were for the inlet/outlet pipes, but the fitment was crap?? Also I didn't want to fill the new filter with diesel from the old filter, so had a bit of a nervous time waiting for the filter to refill and the engine catch, but it did after a couple of times thankfully!

Cheers

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
ah HA. done it. Went straight out after using the car, used the pliers to twist the pipe and it popped off, easy as pie. Typical!

I had 2 o-rings in the box, figured that they were for the inlet/outlet pipes, but the fitment was crap?? Also I didn't want to fill the new filter with diesel from the old filter, so had a bit of a nervous time waiting for the filter to refill and the engine catch, but it did after a couple of times thankfully!

Cheers
Good:) but i did say pinch not twist ie; make the pipe egg shaped in cross section, don't try twisting a large pipe like a rad' or you wiil get more than just the rubber pipe off:D

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
hey
just a quick noob question, going to try and change the fuel filter myself, i dont have to clamp the pipes to stop diesel coming out or anything do i? i can just take them off without worrying about diesel being spilt everywhere?

cheers

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
I did mine last month. I used a small flat bladed screw driver & then squirted some WD40 in. Has done the job on many cars I have worked on, makes it really easy getting back on too.

As for fuel coming out, I just held the pipe as high as possible to stop the fuel from coming out, didn't use any hose clamps. When you get the old filter out its worth draining as it hold a fair bit of fuel

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
It's not a matter of "fuel coming out", it's more a matter of air getting in. If you don't clamp the lines, all the diesel runs back down to the tank and it takes ages to crank the engine and get it started again. Clamp the lines before removal, pop 'em off, replace the filter (refilling it with fresh diesel), refit the lines, remove the clamps, and it'll start straight up virtually.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I didnt drain off the old filter - figured it would be full of crap otherwise I wouldnt need to change it. As pabs said if you can refill with frssh derv and clamp the lines then do it. I couldnt so had to crank mine for ages, which I didnt much like doing.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.