Fuel Gauge Stuck on Full

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
Done over 100 spirited miles on a full tank in my fr and the dial hasnt budged, anyone experience the dial sticking on full before? The dial drops down when ignition off so it must be some sort of fuel reading issue?

FRESHMODE

FRESHMODE
Oct 9, 2008
Staffordshire
was it motorway travel?

You may find all of a sudden it will drop to 3/4 very soon. I've travelled 100 miles before on a freshly filled tank with it still reading full, it doesn't sound strange

obviously if you do another 100 miles something is wrong!:D

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
Mine never reaches full even when filling up the tank to full... goes 3 quaters the way and just stays there.

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
In my LCR, the dial doesnt really move until about 100 miles too, the dial movement isnt proportional (ie. Half way dial is usually 200 miles out of 320-350) so that doesnt sound too bad - esp for a TDI. But I'm guessing you've had the car for a while, so are you saying that this is something out of the ordinary for you, in that it would normally drop quicker - or that you just never really noticed before?

Maybe you have a really efficient engine :)

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
must be something to do with the way the sensor is setup as i remember a few of my past VAG cars have done this where all of a sudden you loose a 1/4 of the tank. Mine stays at full and 1/2 for what seems like an unusually long period of time.

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
I think it was posted on one of the other petrol/mpg threads that the dial movement is a bit off because the fuel tank is irregularly shaped. Which if true, is, lets face it, very stupid :)

andycupra

status subject to change
there are 4 sections on the guage, ( so you wouold think each is a quarter) but in reality they are about a 5th each as about a 5th of a tank is past the full mark.

So if you have been getting reasonable mileage then you could get 100 miles before the guage moves.

if you view each section as a 5th rather than a quarter it works out about right.

Egg

Jul 24, 2016
East Midlands
I had a panic down the M5 this weekend in thinking my level sensor had broken - had done 110 miles and was still reading full as can be.

Between 120 - 150 miles the needle dropped over 1/4 tank - must be something like Phang says above - irregular tank or something.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members