Fuel smell in car!

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Hello folks I was wondering if someone could help me so my wife has Seat Leon FR 2.0 TDI 184 bhp. I have had a lot of fuel related issues which are now sorted , in tank fuel pump replaced , fuel regulator valve changed on the fuel rail as car kept going in to limp mode. Car is driving fine now but I seem to be getting a smell of fuel in the car as well as when I am stood out side the car is this normal? Is it linked to having the work done previously to the two components mentioned ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
No, it's not normal or good! Sounds to me like they've mucked something up. Take it back to them.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Sounds like they haven't sealed the tank properly when the pump was replaced. Any leaks on the drive?

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Sounds like they haven't sealed the tank properly when the pump was replaced. Any leaks on the drive?
No this is the bizarre thing there does not appear to be any leaks anywhere which is why I am at a loss as to what the underlying issue is. Car was put on ramp this weekend as MOT was due no issues with the fuel line either but I am getting slightly worried with this constant smell. I might just get them to have a look at the intank like you said make sure it is sealed properly .

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
I would expect to see some evidence on the floor for a diesel leak, pop your engine cover off and see if you have a leaking injector leak off pipe on the top of the engine?

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Just chiming in to say I get a petrol smell sometimes after I boot it in my 280 cupra, is this normal / the same issue as described here, does this need looking into?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If they spilled fuel in the car whilst doing the work the smell might have lingered. The smell of petrol hangs around for a long time.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Just chiming in to say I get a petrol smell sometimes after I boot it in my 280 cupra, is this normal / the same issue as described here, does this need looking into?
No smell of petrol inside any car is normal. I do not have a cupra but a 1.5tsi petrol and no smell inside the boot

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I thought diesel didn't really smell, or if it did, I really don't know how it smells like. Was kinda the tell tale sign if you are filling up with petrol by mistake...on a diesel car if you could smell it. Unless it's one of the other liquids (engine oil, gearbox oil, coolant) ?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I thought diesel didn't really smell, or if it did, I really don't know how it smells like. Was kinda the tell tale sign if you are filling up with petrol by mistake...on a diesel car if you could smell it. Unless it's one of the other liquids (engine oil, gearbox oil, coolant) ?
Diesel does smell, petrol has a nice smell diesel has a foul smell

Reactions: RUM4MO

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Bonus for Diesel is, it does not evaporate much so it hangs around and is extremely slippery - most people end up smelling diesel as messy thoughtless diesel car owners spill it around when refuelling, and it ends up on your feet and then on your car carpets, dirty B----tards!

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Update folks took the car back to garage it was originally in they say there is no leak and that the smell is normal which is a load of crap so I have cut my losses and decided to take it elsewhere for them to diagnose the problem . The smell tends to happen when I turn on the A/C but there must be some underlying issue because my car still goes in limp mode getting P0087 as mentioned already replaced in tank fuel pump , had wiring to pump sorted as there was an electrical fault which is why the pump went in first place. Fuel module relay replaced, Fuel regulator valve replaced too so I am hoping this guy I took it to now can sort it. The last mechanic seems to indicate the reason for it going in to limp mode is because there are metal contaminants in the car and it is getting stuck to the filters on valves on the fuel rail which causing to go in limp mode . Could it possible be the High fuel pressure pump ? I am seriously out of ideas as to what it could be and just thinking of getting rid

Attachments

• 01D5C281-8FD3-4F16-AF2F-4AF735AB9B98.jpeg
    01D5C281-8FD3-4F16-AF2F-4AF735AB9B98.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 149

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Diesel is really smelly, especially if they have spilt some on the engine. One of our previous Golfs had to go back to the VW Main dealers after they changed the fuel filter and split diesel over the engine. Hope you get sorted.

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Hi folks just an update finally got issue sorted with the the in tank pump turns out it was not sealed properly which was letting air come in through the car. In relation to the limp mode issues had to replace the HPFP , fuel rail and the injectors was an expensive job but touch would seems to have sorted all the issues thanks for all your help and advice and hope none of you encounter any problems like this in the future.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.