Gear box oil

MarkWabe

Be the change
Aug 15, 2010
Braintree
I'm getting mine done in the next couple of weeks, I'm using the VW modified oil that helps to get rid of the notchyness (sp?) and crunches.

Although, mine doesn't crunch thankfully!

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Whats this modified gear oil? i think its worth me trying it see if it will save me changing my gearbox lol,

dan

What gearbox code do you have? I know its an 02M, but is it an ERR, FML, FZQ? See Muttley's post on the previous page regarding which boxes are meant to have the "high performance" fluid installed. It also warns of mixing the normal and high performance stuff, not a good idea...

I stuck with G052 171 A2 last time I did a fluid swap, my gearbox is old enough to be on the normal fluid lol :)

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Mines the 6 speed FML i think :S how can i be certain as my engine has been changed from aug to auq, is there a area on the box where it is specified? like the engine code is on the head?
Thanks

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Mines the 6 speed FML i think :S how can i be certain as my engine has been changed from aug to auq, is there a area on the box where it is specified? like the engine code is on the head?
Thanks

Gearbox code is cast into the bottom of the box, you can see it by removing the undertray and looking at it from the front. Although if you've lowered the car you'll have to jack it up first lol :)

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Mines all standard at the moment mate and doesnt have an undertray on lol, so seeing it shouldnt be a prob :D ill get me torch and have a gander,

Dan

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
theres a vw part number stamped cast on the bottom of the box but i cant find a 3 letter code at the front of the box, located a cheeky oil leak down back of engine like,

dan

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
I've no idea mate alls i no is its on my engine and my engine aint same it was suplied with from factory so to hear its got a different box dont surprise me lol, whoever changed em did a canny job just a few niggles to sort. So what ya reckon give part number to seat and ask em for gearbox oil? lol

Its got the hex style drain plug on it, so at least that aint goin to be a pain.

Dan

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
There would be another 3 letters for the code down there, might be easier to see it with daylight helping. There was a sticker with the code on top of the box but most of these have come off over the years lol.

I'd reckon on the normal oil being okay in your box, if the whole engine and box were swapped at the same time to an AUQ lump ;)

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Well it was a stamp with these numbers ww05 02m301107d az91hp. could see them and audi and vw logos as clear as day, and all along the front of the box was no stamps at all, these were on the bottom of the box,
Dan

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Well it was a stamp with these numbers ww05 02m301107d az91hp. could see them and audi and vw logos as clear as day, and all along the front of the box was no stamps at all, these were on the bottom of the box,
Dan

Right that is definitely an FML coded box :)

OE fluid G052 171 A2 will be fine in there.

OVNIWCE

Mellow Yellow
Apr 12, 2011
chesire
When i quoted it last at tps it was arround 45 quid for 3 litres!! Mine could do with being changed as i have a whine and now and again it doesnt want to go in gear.