LCR BAM Oil Consumption

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi all
Like I said in a previous post it’s like one thing after the other.
Why is my car consuming more engine oil than I would expect?
it was serviced only 2 months back, perhaps on 2k miles put on it and the oil is down to one third on the dipstick with no obvious signs of where it’s going, any ideas or experience ?
thanks

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
So just to add evidence. 375ml of oil used over 1492miles. Does that seem excessive? And not been ragging it cos I don't

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Mine uses about half a litre every 5k miles.
Is the PCV system ok with no split pipes?
How old are the sparks and coils?

The wife's Mini drinks loads and it's been like that for 6 or 7 years, but has no problems.

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Mine uses about half a litre every 5k miles.
Is the PCV system ok with no split pipes?
How old are the sparks and coils?

The wife's Mini drinks loads and it's been like that for 6 or 7 years, but has no problems.
A smoke test revealed a couple pipes that were leaking and these were replaced with silicone ones. Other than that I can't see any others.
Sparks replace in last service a couple months back and all four coli's a few weeks back.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Ok, cheers. I think I should top up using 5w40 cos I have been with 5w30.. what is the correct grade for these cars?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
You'll get 6 people saying 5W30 and half a dozen saying 5W40!
I use 30 because it's easier to find, but 40 can help with consumption apparently.

A little test you can do to see if the oil is getting to where it shouldn't be:
Find a steep hill (as steep as you can find) - get someone to follow you up in a car behind you and really rag the car up the hill using high RPM's, don't change up to 4th (get engine oil hot before doing this!!) if the person behind see's smoke out of exhaust then piston rings are sticking....

Then come back down the hill using 2nd or 3rd letting the revs do the braking.....if there is smoke coming out of exhaust then its the valve guides.

I never realised mine was spitting smoke out of the exhaust until I did this with a engine inspector following me and he said there was a nice steady stream of smoke out of exhaust when going up the hill, but no smoke coming down the hill.

Reactions: Jay20VT