Gear Change - Poor Quality

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Got my Leon 184 at end of July and was never that impressed by the gear change quality. It's a 6spd manual and it clonks on every change and 1st to second is particularly bad when cold.

Car has been back to dealer twice. First time they couldn't repeat the issue ( didnt even drive it !!) but second time they got their master tech on it and he called me this evening to say they need to keep it for longer to work out what is wrong. He couldn't say how long as they need to try lots of different things which may include changing the gearbox.

I do hope its just the selector lever and cables rather than needing a new gearbox as I can't imagine it will be a quick job.

Has anyone else had poor quality gear changes ( clonks/knotchy etc. ) from their car ??

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
Mines knotchy from 1st to 2nd but assumed it was a characteristic of the car. I've got an I40 at the moment for work and that's just as bad but very clunky from 3rd to 2nd.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
My 184 is much better than my previous DS4, better than the wife's Corsa Sri and almost as good as my old 320. It is very precise and smooth.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Sounds like my car definitely has an issue, the dealer has lent me a 1.2 TSi Leon and the gear-change in that feels great, loads better than my Leon.

Hope to hear from the dealer again today with what they have found

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
my 184 is a bit notchy from 1st to 2nd, but it doesn't feel odd. Suits the engine, I think. Just gone over 20k miles, so I guess it's run in now. Certainly no lightning-fast changes!
it's not as loose as the one in my wife's Saab, but that's got 98k miles, and was always a fast changer.
My daughter's Mk 5Golf TSi has a 6-speed manual, and it's a bit looser, but again - it's 7 years old with 60k miles.
I don't dislike the feel of the 184 'box at all.

Porker3

May 17, 2015
280 is a very smooth box but 1st and reverse is frightingly close, it really needs some kind of mechanical set up to prevent it dropping in. Went backwards a few times now when I should be going forward!!!!

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
Thats what i often do in my 184TDI 6 speeder.
its fine otherwise.
Previous Mk1 FR TDi with same gbox never felt like this one...
Its as if selecting the gears is too easy if theres such a thing ?

Anyone got the correct info/spec of Gbox in our mk3's ? compared to the mk1 atleast?
Both 6 speed FR Cars & TDI's

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
actually have gone from reverse to reverse when trying for 1st. Not often, but if you don't come ALL the way out of reverse the spring doesn't release and you go straight back in....

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Some interesting replies, thanks all.

Should get my car back tomorrow, the dealer has adjusted the linkage cables and their Master Tech says he is happy it is better now.

So will see how it is once I've got it back.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

EoinM

Mine did that from 1st to 2nd when cold, the new VRS does the same. Even my old VRS before the FR did it. I think it's just a characteristics.

I have read more serious reports where people are going into first and getting reverse. I've escaped that on all of them thankfully. I do find the current VRS a little tough to get into reverse at times though, need to slot it into 1st when it happens.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Got my car back from the dealers, they had it 4 days to adjust the gear linkage cables.

Gearchange is a lot better now, much nicer to drive.

Sadly they also washed my car without asking so it now has lots of swirl marks [:@]

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
My gear change has always been as silky smooth as flicking a switch in an otter's pocket

I leave a big notice on my dashboard saying please do not wash when I take mine in to the stealers!!

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Yeah lesson learnt now. Will do the same next time they have it in.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.