Gear lever getting stuck / hard to move

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
Hi folks!
Weird one this, it happened the same day the poly dogbone was changed for a standard one, but went away after a spirited drive. But now it's back...

Quite often when coming to a stop 1st or 2nd gear becomes hard to move to neutral. with some force it will move or if i move forward slightly it becomes easy to shift. sometimes reverse is hard to select, but again if i move forward very slightly selecting reverse is fine.

Also when coming to a stop, about 2-5 feet of coming to a stop i can feel like a shift of weight moving forwards (can hear it too), like something is loose and rocks forwards.

Last but not least, sometimes when in 1st, i can have the clutch pedal all the way down but the car still lurches forward, almost as if the biting point has moved.
^
now that last one sounds like the clutch giving up, but it flies in 3rd from 20mph at full throttle, there isn't any slip at all bar 6th gear when the speed is too slow. (even then its not really slipping, more like juddering)
:( please tell me it's not the gearbox :(

car is fr+ tdi

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Wild guess, but the clutch not disengaging properly will cause something like this.

When the car is moving the dog clutches in the gearbox slip into and out of engagement more easily (hence you don't notice it on the higher gear changes) but when the car is stationary the torque applied to the gears makes it harder to disengage or engage 1st/reverse.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
The clutch and gearbox have never been removed while I've had it some two years now. The car has a hybrid and custom map if it makes any difference.