Gearbox Gone? or Gear Linkage?

elliott87

May 27, 2008
Edinburgh
basically, i have 1, 3 and 5 gears, but cant get it into 2, 4 or 6. so its going into the top row of gears on the gear knob, but not the bottom row? and idea's if this would be the gearbox on gone or if it sounds like the linkage or something? i dont really know what the 'linkage' is, just my mate mentioned it. any1 else had this problem?

ps its a 2004 cupra done 44k on the clock (so i hope its not the gearbox)

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
basically, i have 1, 3 and 5 gears, but cant get it into 2, 4 or 6. so its going into the top row of gears on the gear knob, but not the bottom row? and idea's if this would be the gearbox on gone or if it sounds like the linkage or something? i dont really know what the 'linkage' is, just my mate mentioned it. any1 else had this problem?

ps its a 2004 cupra done 44k on the clock (so i hope its not the gearbox)

Sounds nothing like the gearbox gone to me. but then again I am a retard

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
It's a good possibility the adjuster on the cable end has slipped. (Cable nearest the engine as you look at it on the shifter)

1st, 3rd and 5th are selected by the cable pulling the shifter towards the rear of the car. 2nd 4th 6th involve pushing away).

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
DSC00493-1.jpg

it is this linkage you want to be checking.. yours will be on the pin rather than on the bolt that mine is (that is my diy short shift:))

brad1

you might be lucky, it sounds like a linkage problem

unlike me who was unucky and the selector fork broke on my gearbox not allowing it to enter first gear, but the rest were fine, i couldnt lose the car as i needed for work, so drove everywhere pulling away in second and after gearbox repair, guess what, flywheel and clutch gave up so more money lol

Last edited by a moderator:

elliott87

May 27, 2008
Edinburgh
cheers guys. its gonna get checked out on tuesday so gonna sit still untill then, hopefully it will just be what you's think

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Can you get into neutral too? If so the linkage must be working partly, perhaps just about to break completely.

When I had a similar problem on a Mk.2 Ibiza, it was one of the two levers on top of the gearbox, the one with a balance weight on it. It had actually broken. Fortunately there was a Seat dealer in town at the time and I was able to cycle to them, order the part and fit it myself - DIY fixing of these bits is easy.

The gearchange mechanism has two hefty Bowden cables between the gearstick and the gearbox, one for left-right movement of the stick and one for up-down, which is why everyone is saying it sounds like a linkage failure. Easy check is to look under the bonnet while someone else moves the gearstick through the shift pattern. The failure might be at the gearstick end.

Incidentally, the feel of the gearchange depends quite a lot on how stiff these cables are. The ones on my Toledo are very thick, with a massively stiff outer casing and a solid rod-like inner. The gearchange is very positive and waggle-free. On my old Ibiza the cables were much thinner and the change was less pleasant, more "rubbery".

leontdisx

Mar 13, 2010
hi, i have found on my leon 1.9 tdi (2003 model) that it is quite easy to get confused between 1st and 3rd when coming out of second, luckily enough i havent done a wrong gear change yet, but is there any reason as to why the gear lever isnt neutralising into a central position properly?? before i bought it, the linkage was very stiff and they did somnething to it which made a big difference when the pdi check was done as it came up as a fault, it just still seems like it could be a bit better.
any info i would really appreciate, thanks

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Gety someone to run your car through the gears as you look at the linkages and see that all is smooth.

If its sticky some cleaning and lubricating should help if it's only the linkages

leontdisx

Mar 13, 2010
thanks, had a look and all it was, was the little plastic sleeve over the shifter, you can see in the pics above... just put some grease on an cleaned it, works a treat now.
thanks

Dougyb83

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm having a similar problem but it's intermittent for me.
1st, 3rd and 5th are good, but 2nd 4th and 6th have problems selecting sometimes (more so with 2nd and 6th) . It seems to be during high revs but can be sure.

Do you think it's likely to be the linkage as well?

Cheers guys

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Haha if it's a Peugeot then prob no as its a seat forum lol, if the gearbox was the same then yeh it would work lol

Dougyb83

Jun 8, 2016
Well yeah, I knew it was a seat forum. Why I asked the question lol.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Not sure then mate, look at the side of your gearbox, if it has the black metal plate at the side like the video then it can be done, if not then it can't