Gearbox oil change, confusion.

May 3, 2021
Hey all,

first of all, I am new to the forums but I've been lurking for some time but still can't seem to understand everything when it comes to gearbox oil change.

I'm driving late 2002, 1.6 16v 5 speed.

I've seen many people talking about special keys to unlock the drain plug, but some say that it's just a 17mm hex bolt?

I've also seen people recommending the G052171A2 gearbox oil, but my mechanic says that it won't be good for my transmission?

There is so much confusion around this topic and I am sorry if it has been answered before.

Cheers, M

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Hey all,

first of all, I am new to the forums but I've been lurking for some time but still can't seem to understand everything when it comes to gearbox oil change.

I'm driving late 2002, 1.6 16v 5 speed.

I've seen many people talking about special keys to unlock the drain plug, but some say that it's just a 17mm hex bolt?

I've also seen people recommending the G052171A2 gearbox oil, but my mechanic says that it won't be good for my transmission?

There is so much confusion around this topic and I am sorry if it has been answered before.

Cheers, M
Using a G052171A2 should be ok, it is a 75w that meets API GL4.

The original spec for your 5 speed is VW5000 which is a 75w-90 that meets API GL4.

Cheers,

Guy

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
I had duff gear changing on my 5 speed due to the "ball sleeve" disintegrating into rusty muck on the shift tower mechanism. Easy fix that utterly transforms the gearchange. Just get the dealers gearbox oil, anything else I tried apart from the Fuchs Sintofluid, was horrible.
5 speed EGS gearbox ball sleeve part number....

02A311648C​