Generic OBD2 reader

Hi, I recently (On saturday) bought myself a Remapped 2001 Ibiza Cupra and the other night I came out of work and noticed the Engine management light never went off (and hasn't since) I'm hoping there isn't anything serious wrong with it because I haven't really ragged it and it came on out of nowhere when I started the car. But to the point...

My friend has a Scantool generic OBD2 reader but when we plugged it in to read the codes it didn't seem to connect, in fact it didn't even seem to get power (there's a little LED to show power/connection status) I was just wondering if there's any difference between this and the VAGcom cables you get off of ebay and the likes (like this one?) or if it's just a com port or driver conflict?? (I've read the VAGcom section but I'm not very good with electronic'y stuff)

Also I've seen this tool which would be handy for me wehn I'm not near a laptop? Gendan Code Reader -- Would that be worth the money?

Cheers for the help.

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
Hi mate,

i too had a similiar problem, few days after buying an Ibiza Cupra, engine management light come on. After searching on here for possible reasons i was left with a few possible causes.

However, i spoke to my dad over the phone who's the area manager for the AA and he instantly told me to take the engine cover off and check the coil packs - apparently a common problem.

So i took the cover off, and i was pleased to see the 3rd coil along had 'popped' out of the hole, only by 4/5mm but it was quite obvious.

My dad did say the car should be noticeably different to drive, and miss-fire regular. But my car was driving fine. After pushing the coil pack back down, i got my dad to plug in his laptop and the codes cleared. (the engine management light won't go off until the code has been cleared by vag com.

It was that simple!

I'll try that first of all -- I had been getting a couple "pops&bangs"when letting off but nothing major, the car was boosting fine and running ok (from what I can tell -- only driven it for 2 days)

Cheers tho mate, I'll try that.

Does anyone have any comments on the Gendan OBD2 reader? I don't have a laptop myself (2 pretty high specced PC's but I doubt the extension cord would be long enough to get any logs done :p ) and it seems like a handy thing to have.

Well I had the plastic cover off and yep -- Number 2 coil from the left was about 2mm off and number 4 was about 5mm off. Popped them back in. I'm still going to hold off giving the car too much boost until I can comfirm this was defo the prob by getting the codes.

I also noticed the maf sensor wasn't screwed in with anything. from what I've read in the search it whould be held in with a couple torx screws? should this pose any problem? The seal holds it in pretty tight?

Simon L

Audi TTS
Sep 24, 2004
Glasgow
This happened to me once, the coilpacks had somehow became loose and worked there way out. I pushed them back in and all seemed fine.

There is a thread on here about cutting a small V in the rubber grooves. It is thought high temps force the air to expand and push the coilpack out. Cutting V allows the air to escape naturally, allowing the coilpack to stay in.