Glovebox Hinge broke ?

halftone

May 15, 2008
Dudley, West Midlands
I have tried searching but cant seem to find an answer.

My glovebox hinge (right) seems to have broke, it will hold in place, but if you dont gently open it, the door comes loose.

Is this a common problem ? Easy fix ? Or back to dealers ? Should it be covered under warranty ?

Cheers,

Tony

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
mine has done the exact same. how old is your car?
i havent got round to repairing mine yet. but will have a look tonight.

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
it really depends on what the garage is like where you bought the car from, as i had a fault on mine a couple of month after the warrenty ran out and they refused to repair it, but i went to another garage and they fixed it under warrenty :confused: . if i have any luck repairing it later i will let you know.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I remember reading somewhere on the forums its quite common.
Its 90% of the time caused by something getting caught in the glove box, Or slamming it shut.
These normally cause it to come to come loose. Its not very sturdy to be honest but its by no means a fault.

Glove boxes of old are alot more durable,

You should have a 5 year parts warrenty, You can claim you barely used the thing and if your like me and you never use it then they might believe you.
And if you use it all the time... how would they know.

Last edited:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Mine always needed slamming shut, otherwise it dropped open at the first bumpy road.

Should never slam it shut, I lift mine and then push in where the handle is so the lock disengages.
I agree its not convinient and the glove boxes are **** but to be honest its better than trying to explain that to a dealer.

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
i just had a quick look at mine and it looked like is a plastic pin/peg thats broke where it holds at the bottom but im not 100% sure.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The hinge pins are just two plastic pins that push in.

Mine popped out on one side a while back. just needed to reach in with the pin and push it back in. looked at the other side when i was under the dash and it was on the way out too. pushed it back in and had no problem since.

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
a bit of the pin on mine is still left in, but the rest has broken. i think i will have to make something to fit. that should solve my problem. thanks

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.